Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29
  1. #1
    jmur5074's Avatar
    jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Join Date
    12-04-05
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    9,051
    Rep Power
    6232623

    Trooper tricks speeder, speeder is upset.

    VANCOUVER, Wash. - A motorist who paid a speeding ticket he got from a state trooper who used out-of-state license plates on his unmarked patrol car wants his money back. "What gives the police the right to drive illegally on the highway?" said Dave Milbrandt, a company finance manager. "Do they have a special exemption?"

    Milbrandt told The Columbian newspaper of Vancouver that he planned to see a lawyer about the $247 he paid after Washington State Patrol Trooper Bradford A. Moon, driving an unmarked Dodge Charger with Oregon plates, caught him going 56 mph in a 35 mph zone on State Route 4 in Longview last month.
    "Did they write me a ticket illegally?" Milbrandt said. "If they did, I'd like my money back and my record cleared."

    Moon, who removed the Oregon plates after the incident came to light, was trying to be creative in catching speeders but should have told his superiors, patrol Sgt. Randy L. Hullinger said Monday.

    "It's not typically something that is done," Hullinger said.
    "We encourage our troopers to look at innovative ways to catch people," he said, "but it's always good to run innovative ideas past somebody else so we can consider all possible outcomes.
    "He went out on his own. He was attempting to use some initiative to solve a problem, which is our job, but in this case it looks like maybe judgment-wise he should have run it by somebody else."

    Moon failed to consider that "the first thing the motoring public might think is, 'Is this a police impersonator?'" Hullinger said. "When they see a nonstandard police car, we want people to understand that when all the lights go on ... this is for real — but if there are Oregon plates on the car, there's just that much more concern in the public's eye it might not be a police car."
    Moon, who had removed the plates from a personal vehicle after moving to Washington from Oregon, will not face disciplinary action, and the ticket will stand unless Milbrandt is successful in persuading a judge otherwise, patrol officials said.

    Moon decided on the tactic after reading on misplace about a boy who claimed he regularly drove 100 mph on Interstate 5 and avoided detection by knowing how to spot patrol cars, relying partly on whether the plates were in-state, Hullinger said.
    The young driver was never caught.

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080116/...CM6IwM8wztiBIF

    What a great idea. On the troopers part of course.

    The guy that got the ticket is just a whiner.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

    "The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

    We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

  2. #2
    Terminator's Avatar
    Terminator is offline BANNED
    Join Date
    12-03-05
    Location
    None of your business
    Posts
    16,064
    Rep Power
    0
    Boo-hoo for the speeder. Stop breaking the law asshole!

  3. #3
    121Traffic's Avatar
    121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Join Date
    01-09-06
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    4,547
    Rep Power
    6332993
    A neighboring agency here has a SCAT unit. Special Crimes Attack Team. Their main focus is anti-gang and in-progress crime detection. They drive PIMPED out NIssan Maximas with super-dark tinted windows. They hide a bajillion LED lights all over them, and they have dummy California plates on them. Fucking awesome if you ask me!
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

  4. #4
    Terminator's Avatar
    Terminator is offline BANNED
    Join Date
    12-03-05
    Location
    None of your business
    Posts
    16,064
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by 121Traffic View Post
    A neighboring agency here has a SCAT unit. Special Crimes Attack Team. Their main focus is anti-gang and in-progress crime detection. They drive PIMPED out NIssan Maximas with super-dark tinted windows. They hide a bajillion LED lights all over them, and they have dummy California plates on them. Fucking awesome if you ask me!
    Exactly. As technology increases and citizens get smarter, law enforcement has to adjust and become more creative.

  5. #5
    countybear's Avatar
    countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    01-18-07
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    6,512
    Rep Power
    4611628
    A motorist who paid a speeding ticket he got from a state trooper who used out-of-state license plates on his unmarked patrol car wants his money back.


    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

    Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

    The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

  6. #6
    Hannibal's Avatar
    Hannibal is offline Zombie Killin' Sheepdog
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    05-27-06
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    2,847
    Rep Power
    2067665
    So let me get this right. You were speeding, you were caught speeding. The cop who caught you speeding wrote you a ticket. You did not protest the violation, in fact you paid the fine as any responsible person should. Now you say that because the car that pulled you over had some strange plates on it, you are magically no longer guilty of speeding.

    Interesting theory, now STFU.

    "Stupid should hurt."

  7. #7
    adroitcuffs's Avatar
    adroitcuffs is offline Visualize whirled peas!!
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    09-02-06
    Location
    It's okay... I'm bicoastal ;-)
    Posts
    1,045
    Rep Power
    526701
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    So let me get this right. You were speeding, you were caught speeding. The cop who caught you speeding wrote you a ticket. You did not protest the violation, in fact you paid the fine as any responsible person should. Now you say that because the car that pulled you over had some strange plates on it, you are magically no longer guilty of speeding.

    Interesting theory, now STFU.

    Amen!! Looks like Davey boy is going to to be held accountable for his actions!
    The true measure of your character is what you choose to do when you think no one is looking.

    #5


    http://officerbob.memory-of.com/

  8. #8
    10-42Adam's Avatar
    10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    09-24-06
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    5,928
    Rep Power
    200413
    I don't see a problem with it. Props to that Trooper!
    Calm Like A Bomb...

    A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

  9. #9
    Shoestring's Avatar
    Shoestring is offline Please dont check the trunk...
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    Join Date
    09-20-07
    Location
    Madison ish, WI
    Posts
    2,799
    Rep Power
    799035
    I think it is a clevor way of catching people but I dont think it would hold up in our courts because in WI you have to have the correct registration on a vehicle thus making the police car w/wrong plates a citable offense in its self. We do have a unmarked cruiser with regular plates but its a crown vic, they stand out anyways.

  10. #10
    Hannibal's Avatar
    Hannibal is offline Zombie Killin' Sheepdog
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    05-27-06
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    2,847
    Rep Power
    2067665
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoestring View Post
    I think it is a clevor way of catching people but I dont think it would hold up in our courts because in WI you have to have the correct registration on a vehicle thus making the police car w/wrong plates a citable offense in its self. We do have a unmarked cruiser with regular plates but its a crown vic, they stand out anyways.
    So the question is not whether or not the speeder is guilty, it becomes should the officer be held accountable for the improper tag? If like you said it is a citable offense, I guess he could have been cited as well.

    The bottom line is that the speeder is still guilty.

    "Stupid should hurt."

  11. #11
    k2.rocky's Avatar
    k2.rocky is offline Officer First Class
    Join Date
    12-13-07
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    106
    Rep Power
    16911
    I think it was pretty dang funny. I would have loved to see the look on that moron's face when he saw all the lights come on.
    "When you stop learning, you deny yourself the opportunity to grow." ~TDSA Tulsa~
    www.tdsatulsa.com

    "Anyone who gets in a fair fight…..has no tactical skills"

    "We're entirely surrounded, those poor bastards. They've got us right where we want 'em. We can shoot in every direction now." ~General Chesty Puller~

    "I firmly believe that you live and learn, and if you don't learn from past mistakes, then you need to be drug out and shot." ~R. Lee Ermy~

  12. #12
    Shoestring's Avatar
    Shoestring is offline Please dont check the trunk...
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    Join Date
    09-20-07
    Location
    Madison ish, WI
    Posts
    2,799
    Rep Power
    799035
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    So the question is not whether or not the speeder is guilty, it becomes should the officer be held accountable for the improper tag? If like you said it is a citable offense, I guess he could have been cited as well.

    The bottom line is that the speeder is still guilty.
    I am thrown on this one, it almost falls under the "Fruits of a poisonous tree" type deal but I think that falls into what your actual state thinks about that.

    Speeder in my eyes is guilty as hell!

  13. #13
    121Traffic's Avatar
    121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Join Date
    01-09-06
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    4,547
    Rep Power
    6332993
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoestring View Post
    I am thrown on this one, it almost falls under the "Fruits of a poisonous tree" type deal but I think that falls into what your actual state thinks about that.

    Speeder in my eyes is guilty as hell!
    I disagree here. In fact, I think filing it under the "poisonous fruits" defense sets a dangerous precedent. What if my patrol car has a turn signal or headlight out, and it was the only car available for me to drive on a Friday night? So I shouldn't be able to enforce traffic? I think that as long as I am not committing the violation that I am enforcing, you should be okay. I.E. if I'm just cruising along for no reason at mach 2 without lights and sirens, citing someone for the same thing is a pretty tough sell. If my patrol car had the headlight out, I probably wouldn't be citing anyone for it while I'm driving that particular car. Likewise in this case, this trooper wasn't out looking for tag violations. The guy he cited was for speeding, which had nothing to do with his misuse of the plate.

    If we start requiring cops to be in compliance with every single minor ordinance before being able to enforce law, where do we draw the line? Will undercover narcs not be allowed to testify because some shitbag whines that they felt it was unfair they were tricked because the narcs were driving an old POS with multiple instances of defective equipment? I'm not saying that we should be allowed to flagrantly violate law, but something like this case should be a no brainer in that a minor, non-moving, non-dangerous violation was "committed" in order to ensnare people who are endangering the motoring public at large.

    Just my .02.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

  14. #14
    jmur5074's Avatar
    jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Join Date
    12-04-05
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    9,051
    Rep Power
    6232623
    I'm allowed to proceed through a stop sign (safely) without actually stopping to efficiently get to a call. It's not a violation of the Stop Sign law.

    I'm allowed to Speed to emergency calls (safely) to efficiently get to aforementioned emergency calls, and it's not a violation of the law.

    If put "improper" plates on my government law enforcement vehicle helps me efficiently catch people who are speeding, thus putting everyone else on the road in danger...why not?
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

    "The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

    We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

  15. #15
    OffDuty's Avatar
    OffDuty is offline The Shotgun is Family.
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    08-15-06
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    761
    Rep Power
    173520
    for that motorist:
    There are only two kinds of real justice left: street and poetic...


    Canada, huh? Almost made it...

    *DISCLAIMER*The opinions expressed here are my own delusions. My employer administraton would at best shake their heads and sigh; or at worst severely repudiate the content of these posts, should it ever manage to appear on their radar.

  16. #16
    narcodog is offline Rookie
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    06-13-06
    Location
    north ga.
    Posts
    929
    Rep Power
    162812
    When I work narcotics I had out of state tags quite often. I worked very well for me. We also had u.c. dr. lic. What ever it takes.

  17. #17
    213th's Avatar
    213th is offline Solipsist
    Join Date
    12-19-05
    Location
    64.3° N 149.1° W
    Posts
    3,672
    Rep Power
    1712096
    I'm not saying it should be this way, but I really wonder if the ticket will stand in court. I just have doubt in the court system. However, the idea itself is awesome. The sgt was probably right about asking permission first though.
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

  18. #18
    Shoestring's Avatar
    Shoestring is offline Please dont check the trunk...
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    Join Date
    09-20-07
    Location
    Madison ish, WI
    Posts
    2,799
    Rep Power
    799035
    Quote Originally Posted by 121Traffic View Post
    I disagree here. In fact, I think filing it under the "poisonous fruits" defense sets a dangerous precedent. What if my patrol car has a turn signal or headlight out, and it was the only car available for me to drive on a Friday night? So I shouldn't be able to enforce traffic? I think that as long as I am not committing the violation that I am enforcing, you should be okay. I.E. if I'm just cruising along for no reason at mach 2 without lights and sirens, citing someone for the same thing is a pretty tough sell. If my patrol car had the headlight out, I probably wouldn't be citing anyone for it while I'm driving that particular car. Likewise in this case, this trooper wasn't out looking for tag violations. The guy he cited was for speeding, which had nothing to do with his misuse of the plate.

    If we start requiring cops to be in compliance with every single minor ordinance before being able to enforce law, where do we draw the line? Will undercover narcs not be allowed to testify because some shitbag whines that they felt it was unfair they were tricked because the narcs were driving an old POS with multiple instances of defective equipment? I'm not saying that we should be allowed to flagrantly violate law, but something like this case should be a no brainer in that a minor, non-moving, non-dangerous violation was "committed" in order to ensnare people who are endangering the motoring public at large.

    Just my .02.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    I'm allowed to proceed through a stop sign (safely) without actually stopping to efficiently get to a call. It's not a violation of the Stop Sign law.

    I'm allowed to Speed to emergency calls (safely) to efficiently get to aforementioned emergency calls, and it's not a violation of the law.

    If put "improper" plates on my government law enforcement vehicle helps me efficiently catch people who are speeding, thus putting everyone else on the road in danger...why not?
    I dont disagree with you guys, We have many exemptions in our laws etc but where I am going with this is looking at it from a court view point, and where we are, courts here are so fricking touchy feely that stuff gets kicked for the stupidist stuff.

  19. #19
    JLK's Avatar
    JLK
    JLK is offline Protecting Those That Can't Protect Themselves
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    06-23-06
    Location
    memphis
    Posts
    1,606
    Rep Power
    1388294
    I have use multiply tags, temp tags, no tags. just don't seem like a problem. be interesting to see how the courts go.


    "A strong man stands up for himself. A stronger man stands up for others."
    Ben

    The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented
    on his wearing his sidearm. "Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you
    expecting trouble?" "No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have
    brought my rifle."
    (just stole this one hope you don't mind)


    The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant,
    it is just that they know so much that isn't so.
    President Ronald Reagan



  20. #20
    jmur5074's Avatar
    jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Join Date
    12-04-05
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    9,051
    Rep Power
    6232623
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoestring View Post
    I dont disagree with you guys, We have many exemptions in our laws etc but where I am going with this is looking at it from a court view point, and where we are, courts here are so fricking touchy feely that stuff gets kicked for the stupidist stuff.
    I see what you're saying.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

    "The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

    We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

 

 
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •