Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Standard Dave is offline Constable

WPCs call for end to Simon Cowell-style trousers saying: 'They make our bums look big'

As officers of the law, they need to present a respectable and sometimes stern face to the public. But according to policewomen, there's no reason why they can't look good as well.

They are pleading with their bosses to dump the current uniform design, which they say is unflattering and impractical.
    They complain that the oldfashioned cut of the trousers does nothing to enhance their nether regions - and the high waist makes them look like X Factor judge Simon Cowell.

The garments are also bulky and make it hard to chase offenders.
    And it is not just the bottom half of the uniform which is hopelessly unsuited to a woman's shape, according to officers.

The stab vests are apparently extremely uncomfortable for those with larger chests.

Some women have even chosen to wear men's uniforms because they fit better than their own.

Their complaints, recorded in a survey by the magazine Police Review, are already being addressed.

The Metropolitan Police has commissioned students from the London College of Fashion to design a new uniform.
    Judging by the survey, the students will need to put serious thought into the trousers.

One West Midlands PC said: "My friend made a comment when I joined the service that all policewomen have fat behinds.
    "I had to explain that it's not their bums - it's the trousers."

Another frontline West Midlands Police PC said: "They are the most uncomfortable things created in the history of clothing - from the Simon Cowell-style waistbands, which prevent you from breathing properly, to the ill-fitted sizing."

PC Catherine Moore, from West Midlands Police, added: "The uniform is totally designed for men. For a start, the fleece and fluorescent jackets come in men's sizes and tend to be too long for women's bodies."

PC Moore also said that as a woman with a larger chest size, she finds the stab vests "incredibly uncomfortable".

The WPCs have called for uniforms which give them greater flexibility of movement, and have requested combat trousers for frontline officers.

Their calls have been acknowledged by the Association of Chief Police Officers.

Peter Fahy, chief constable of Cheshire police and ACPO lead on race and diversity, told Police Review: "Having listened to the British Association for Women in Policing, many forces wanted to produce a better uniform themselves.
    "It is at that level that proposals need to be trialled with male and female officers."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1770

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    Nah, They're wrong. Most of the WPC's I saw in my 30 years, just had fat arses. Bugger all to do with the trousers.
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

Motorwaycop is offline Retired Plod
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    "I need something new to wear"
    "Nothing fits"

Blah blah blah......sounds like the wife!!!
    the sole advantage of power is that you can do more good.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

adroitcuffs is offline Visualize whirled peas!!
    Verified LEO
    Spare me!! I'm not on the job for a fashion show!

I will concede that some of the uniform pieces are a touch off - but it has nothing to do with fashion. Seems to me that a good solution would be to have uniforms that conform to torso length, as this will benefit both men and women on the job. I have taken to buying the mens' uniforms and simply having them tailored (i.e., waist taken in, shirt-tails & sleeves shortened) because the so-called womens' sizes seem to be made for sticks with toothpick arms and scrawny shoulders. With weightlifting being a favorite hobby of mine, my arms and shoulders are a bit more substantial.

For the "chesty" issue, perhaps these women should try wearing a compression-sports bra under the uniform. It's far more practical and comfortable for the job. Who the hell cares what your bum looks like in uniform? Maybe you do have a big arse - ever think of that? I know about that which I speak; they don't call me the "Vanilla Sista" for nothing!
    The true measure of your character is what you choose to do when you think no one is looking.

http://officerbob.memory-of.com/

Thread Information