Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Just KC is offline Who?......Me?

911 operator guilty of blowing off call!

Not sure if different everywhere else, but here..we have to send a call on every 911 that comes in unless we are convinced by the party on other end of line that everything is OK.

http://news.aol.com/story/_a/911-ope...00010000000001

DETROIT (Jan. 18) - A jury convicted a 911 operator Friday of willful neglect of duty after authorities said she didn't take seriously a boy's calls to report his mother had collapsed. The mother was found dead three hours after the first call.

The misdemeanor charge against Sharon Nichols is punishable by up to a year in jail. She will be sentenced March 11.
    Assistant Wayne County Prosecutor Lora Weingarden said she was more than satisfied with the verdict.

"I hope that it makes every 911 operator in the city and across the country think real hard before dismissing a call as a prank," Weingarden said outside the courtroom.

She said the case marks the first time nationally that a 911 operator has been charged with a crime for mishandling a phone call, the Detroit Free Press reported.

Nichols, 45, testified she could not hear the then-5-year-old boy on the other end of the line. Authorities said Robert Turner called 911 twice on Feb. 20, 2006, to report his mother had passed out.

Robert, now 7, testified that Nichols hung up on him and accused him of playing games.

Police found Sherrill Turner, 46, dead three hours after the first call. A wrongful death lawsuit against the city argues Sherrill Turner, who had an enlarged heart, would have survived if help had been sent immediately.

Nichols and her attorney, Cornelius Pitts, left the courthouse without commenting.

Charges were dismissed Wednesday against operator Terri Sutton, who took the boy's second call. She was accused of ignoring protocol by requesting police instead of emergency personnel.

Judge Paula Humphries said Sutton may have been rude but there was no evidence of willful neglect.
    ~Karie

"I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

OffDuty is offline The Shotgun is Family.
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    We get sent on some stupid stuff because of the liability like this story.. gotta send some officers out..
    There are only two kinds of real justice left: street and poetic...

Canada, huh? Almost made it...

*DISCLAIMER*The opinions expressed here are my own delusions. My employer administraton would at best shake their heads and sigh; or at worst severely repudiate the content of these posts, should it ever manage to appear on their radar.

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    If a child calls 911, and will not put an adult on the line, or no adult answers on call-back, we have to send a deputy for a welfare check.

That being said, I've had some very young children call 911 for valid reasons, and they were also excellent RP's.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Standard Dave is offline Constable
    Our call takers have to monitor the line for 2 minutes if no speach is heard.

We also go to calls if there is no reply to calling back or if it's suspected to be a domestic incident.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I remember hearing the audio when this story first came to light.

RIDICULOUS.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Thread Information