Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Illiy is offline Corporal

Officer Kills 17-Year-Old Suspect After Catching Thieves In His Home

Officer Kills 17-Year-Old Suspect After Catching Thieves In His Home

POSTED: 6:59 am EST January 18, 2008

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. -- Police released the names of two suspects involved in a shootout with a Daytona Beach police officer Friday that injured the officer. Brandon Harris, 17, was fatally shot by the officer, while 16-year-old Jordan Mathis was critically injured.SLIDESHOW: Images From The Scene Of The Shooting
    EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEWS: Eyewitness Describes Scene | Police Chief Speaks OutThe officer engaged in the gun battle Thursday night with three thieves who were trying to burglarize his house, police said. An alert neighbor had called 28-year-old Daytona Beach Police Officer Jermaine Jones, who was out with his pregnant wife, when he saw the officer's Pine Hills house on Champagne Circle being burglarized.When Jones got there, he saw three suspects leaving his house. He alerted the thieves that he was a police officer and, seconds later, bullets started flying.Kim Starks, a neighbor, described what she heard Jones say when he arrived home."'Please, please. I'm warning you. Get on the ground. Get on the ground. You need to get on the ground,'" Starks heard Jones say before the shooting started.After the shooting subsided, Starks called 911."I told the 911 operator that there is a dead body in my driveway," said Starks.VIDEO: Residents On Edge After Officer Catches Robbers In Own HomeInvestigators said there were at least eight shots fired, including the bullet that struck Officer Jones in the stomach."I thought it was the TV and my grandson says, 'No, it sounded like a gunshot,'" said neighbor Betty Mitchell."As a result of that, one of the suspects was shot and killed, one suspect shot and injured and another suspect, we believe, is possibly at large," said Jeff Williamson, a spokesperson for the Orange County Sheriff's Office.Detectives used police dogs to search for the missing suspect, but they lost his scent in the neighborhood."They apprehended someone else out of his house, pulled a gun from him and put it on my driveway. That's when i learned my neighbor had been shot," Starks said.Officer Jones and the 16-year-old suspect who survived the shooting, Mathis, were both taken to Orlando Regional Medical Center. Daytona Beach Police Chief Mike Chitwood said Officer Jermaine Jones was going to be okay. He was in stable condition late Friday morning and was expected to recover after being shot once in the abdomen.The bullet, Chitwood said, went right through and did not hit any vital organs. He got out of surgery around 5:30 Friday morning.Mathis was in critical condition after the gunfight. Even though he's just 16, his criminal record is lengthy. It includes a felony arrest in August 2006 for striking a teacher at Wolfe Lake Middle School in Apopka. She asked Mathis, then 14, to take off a headband he was wearing.Jones' wife was also at the hospital. She is five months pregnant and she was said to be in good spirits."For somebody who's five months pregnant, she's in remarkable spirits," Chitwood said.Jermain Jones has been with the Daytona Beach Police Department for two years. Just last week, he received an award for efforts in a robbery case. Chief Chitwood said he would've never imagined that he would have to fight off criminals at his own home."I'm furious to think that this officer comes home, identifies himself as a police officer, draws his weapon and their response is to open fire on him," said Chitwood of the incident. "You have these 16-, 17-year-old thugs that have no respect for life or property and tonight they ran into the wrong person."Chitwood said the big concern now was what to do next now that everyone knows where Officer Jones lives. He said they will determine if it is even safe for his family to return to their neighborhood to live.While it was an officer-involved shooting, the Florida Department of Law Enforcement is not involved because the officer was not on the job when it happened.
    Copyright 2008 by wftv.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
    FIGHT ON!

Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    When my kind come to rule this planet your name shall be put on a list, a protected list, and no harm shall come to you.

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Shouldn't the headline read..."Officer wounded by thieves, returns fire, and kills suspect?
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Kudos. It sounds like his department is behind him 100%. Glad the officer will have a full recovery.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Illiy is offline Corporal
    Quote Originally Posted by PDawg View Post
    Shouldn't the headline read..."Officer wounded by thieves, returns fire, and kills suspect?
    You would think... That doesn't make "good news" though... gotta love the media...
    FIGHT ON!

Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    When my kind come to rule this planet your name shall be put on a list, a protected list, and no harm shall come to you.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Perhaps they should have re-considered taking on a trained adversary.

I don't get the part about FDLE not doing the investigation because he was off duty though, court decisions have ruled that the moment you yell "police" you are on duty for the purposes of official action.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

OffDuty is offline The Shotgun is Family.
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Hooray for comments made by that chief!

I love when good guys win.
    There are only two kinds of real justice left: street and poetic...

Canada, huh? Almost made it...

*DISCLAIMER*The opinions expressed here are my own delusions. My employer administraton would at best shake their heads and sigh; or at worst severely repudiate the content of these posts, should it ever manage to appear on their radar.

TheeBadOne is offline Why so serious?
    Verified LEO
    Punks get the attention they deserve.
    "When I'm driving along and I see a sign that says, CAUTION: SMALL CHILDREN AHEAD,
    I slow down, and then it occurs to me, I'm not afraid of small children"!

Twan007 is offline The People
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by PDawg View Post
    +1 - stupid media... at least the article wasn't too slanted

guess folks need to start thinking that not every house they try to rob belongs to joe public... sometimes there's someone who knows how to use that thing sitting on the trigger end...

"Beware the man who only has one gun.
    HE PROBABLY KNOWS HOW TO USE IT!!!"
    -=Twan007

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in alignment with his employer. Matter of fact, the poster will deny any knowledge of any post... this message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...

Thread Information