Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1

Robber on probation can keep $1M jackpot

Robber on probation can keep $1M jackpot

By MATT PITTA, Associated Press Writer

The luck keeps rolling for a convicted bank robber who won a $1 million lottery prize: Though he violated his probation by buying the ticket, a judge says he can keep the money.

A lawyer for Timothy Elliott, 55, called the violation minor, and the Massachusetts lottery commission previously has said there was no basis for withdrawing the prize.

Barnstable Superior Court Judge Richard Connon on Friday approved the probation department's agreement that he could keep the winnings. The only change is that Elliott now must pay a monthly $65 probation supervisory fee, previously waived because he had been indigent.

Elliott declined to comment Friday. He lives in Bourne under the supervision of the Department of Mental Health.
    Probation department spokeswoman Coria Holland would not comment further on the case.

In October 2006, Elliott pleaded guilty to unarmed robbery for a heist at a bank on Cape Cod and was placed on five years' probation. The terms required him to not "gamble, purchase lottery tickets or visit an establishment where gaming is conducted ..."
    The jackpot was won on $10 ticket for the "$800 Million Spectacular" game that Elliott bought at a supermarket in Hyannis. He already has received the first of 20 annual $50,000 checks from the lottery commission.

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    Boy, I love how his probation conditions had some teeth to them. Almost as strict as UN sanctions against Saddam Hussein.
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

adroitcuffs is offline Visualize whirled peas!!
    Verified LEO
    Yeah, I've been watching this case.... ugh! Freaking defense attorney said his client should be able to keep the money 'cause it was "only a minor violation"!!! Hello? A violation is a violation, plain and simple. This guy bought the ticket knowing full well that the mere purchase of the lottery ticket was a violation of his probation. Of course, the defense attorney is happy 'cause he gets paid out of those winnings, LOL!

Interestingly enough, he is in arrears to his ex-wife for child support he hasn't paid since 1979. I believe he owes her around $37,000. He's scheduled to appear in court on that matter. Let's see what whiney excuse he gives for that!
    The true measure of your character is what you choose to do when you think no one is looking.

http://officerbob.memory-of.com/

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    So can I violate peoples civil rights in a "minor way" and not get hosed for it?
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

ex401mp is offline Was betrachten Sie?
    Verified LEO
    Only Beans sized hosed.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American G.I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom. ~ Anon

si hic carrus commovet non quaerete

RIP Scott L. Roth- Pfc 1st Platoon,401st MP Co, KIA 12/20/89- Operation Just Cause- Not forgotten.
    ALWAYS FIRST!!!

adroitcuffs is offline Visualize whirled peas!!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    So can I violate peoples civil rights in a "minor way" and not get hosed for it?
    LOL, I can see it now....

"But your honor, I only gave him a minor ass-whipping!"
    The true measure of your character is what you choose to do when you think no one is looking.

http://officerbob.memory-of.com/

Thread Information