Welcome to the APBWeb.
    countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

The countybear rant: California's PCT.

From countybear’s “what were you thinking” file: the PCT

California, the land of already-unholy government intervention now faces yet another challenge to common sense, the PCT. What is a PCT, you ask? It stands for Programmable Communicating Thermostat, and it is yet one more ludicrous proposition that promises to invade homes all across that wasteland of government nanny-ism, um, I mean fine, beautiful land known as The People’s Republic of California.

The Programmable Communicating Thermostat is the brainchild of the California Energy Commission, (you perhaps recognize them as the government price-fixing entity that also serves as a think tank of demagoguery and insanity), and basically will serve as a means by which the Commission can, during “pricing adjustment” or what it dubs “emergency events”, actually change the thermostat settings in every home and business so-equipped with these big brother “climate control” devices. The Commission wants every citizen of California to well understand that under normal circumstances, the people will retain full control over the temperatures in their homes and businesses, however “RDS’s” (Radio Data Signals), will be sent to the PCT’s which will contain data to adjust thermostat set points by the Commission periodically (during these “pricing events” and “emergency events” that they are referring to).

Fear not, my huddled masses, you will be able to change the thermostat temperature settings under mere “pricing events” when (after it has been adjusted by the Commission), you find your tootsies are not-so-toasty. However, unfortunately, whenever the “emergency” signals are sent, then no, sorry… you will be forced to live at the temperature that the California Energy Commission shall dictate for the period of time again… um, well... that the California Energy Commission shall dictate. The upside of the new technology is that CEC will be able to transmit real-time energy pricing information directly to the thermostats so that their fine consumers may adjust their own thermostats accordingly. Isn’t that wonderful of them?

I cannot in good conscience understand how anyone could be utterly brainfarted into supporting such an incredible invasion into the personal lives of the citizens of a “free” society. It is little wonder that sales of aluminum foil do so well there, those who wear it for hats might actually be onto something. Were I a resident of the People’s Republic of California, I would have to immediately ask for a sanity commission to be held for each member of the Energy Commission there. I personally think that the folks in the PRC should help the CEC take its PCT and ram it up its ASS so that they can receive their own RDS’s.

/rant O.F.F.

http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewNation.as...20080111a.html

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    So you found our little secret. There will be little black SUV's watching you and your home.

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

Illiy is offline Corporal
    Quote Originally Posted by armsmaster270 View Post
    So you found our little secret. There will be little black SUV's watching you and your home.
    LOL!
    FIGHT ON!

Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    When my kind come to rule this planet your name shall be put on a list, a protected list, and no harm shall come to you.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    At least they're parked and not driving around causing global warming!

Terminator is offline BANNED
    That's scary.

Twan007 is offline The People
    Verified LEO
    terrifying thoughts...

Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    At least they're parked and not driving around causing global warming!
    jenna, you know that it would be better to drive them around... it's worse when you park for a long period of time (i think it's suggested 5 mins)... plus driving around spreads the love
    -=Twan007

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in alignment with his employer. Matter of fact, the poster will deny any knowledge of any post... this message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Twan007 View Post
    terrifying thoughts...

jenna, you know that it would be better to drive them around... it's worse when you park for a long period of time (i think it's suggested 5 mins)... plus driving around spreads the love
    Well I'm assuming they turned the engine off completely as they waited patiently for countybear to stop posting on LEF long enough to make his next move, rather than idling with the engine running waiting to pounce on countybear at any moment.

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3

Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post
    From countybear’s “what were you thinking” file: the PCT

I cannot in good conscience understand how anyone could be utterly brainfarted into supporting such an incredible invasion into the personal lives of the citizens of a “free” society. It is little wonder that sales of aluminum foil do so well there, those who wear it for hats might actually be onto something. Were I a resident of the People’s Republic of California, I would have to immediately ask for a sanity commission to be held for each member of the Energy Commission there. I personally think that the folks in the PRC should help the CEC take its PCT and ram it up its ASS so that they can receive their own RDS’s.

/rant O.F.F.
    Done.

I have always thought that if we get rid of those in the high population centers that think this way (i.e. most of San Francisco and Los Angeles) that this state might actually be a great place to live. Group them all together and let them fall into the ocean after the next earthquake.

I would be willing to bet money that this state will be won by the liberals just because of this. The rest of the state is actually quite conservative, in my opinion.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Wall it off and let Snake Pliskin have it.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Just look at the power of countybear's rants. The plan has been pulled.
    State abandons plan to allow utilities to control home thermostats

Charles Burress, Chronicle Staff Report
    Thursday, January 17, 2008
    (01-16) 18:07 PST Sacramento - -- State officials have ditched a plan to require remote-controlled thermostats in homes and businesses.
    Regulators instead will work with utilities on possible voluntary programs by which customers could request such devices, California Energy Commission spokeswoman Claudia Chandler said Tuesday.
    New building-efficiency standards drawn up by the commission would have required new buildings to include remote-controlled thermostats that could allow utilities to control a building's air-conditioning or heating during power emergencies.
    After a public outcry, commission officials last week said the regulation would be revised so that the devices would still be required, but configured so that customers could override outside control by utilities.
    But the agency backed off even more this week by announcing that the proposed remote-controlled thermostats would be dropped entirely from the 2008 edition of the building-efficiency standards.
    The news was applauded by the head of the state Assembly Committee on Utilities and Commerce, Lloyd Levine, D-Van Nuys.
    "While more needs to be done to keep up with the needs of our ever-increasing population, it's not the job of the (state) to go into peoples' homes and control their thermostats," he said.

E-mail Charles Burress at cburress@sfchronicle.com http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg.../BARNUGIKF.DTL
    This article appeared on page B - 5 of the San Francisco Chronicle

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post

sgtbear111 is offline retired
    Verified LEO

project

Anyone know how to morph a bear into a hammer and sickle, and insert "PEOPLES" between the two words?
    Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.-- Anonymous

Old People, like me, may not be around to witness the destruction of our Nation. The rest of you may not survive the collapse. We all have the sworn duty to prevent it.

The light of hope burns brighter than the fires of doom.

garda52 is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Yeah, but they're hybrids.
    Remember: if their lips are moving ... they're lying

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtbear111 View Post

Anyone know how to morph a bear into a hammer and sickle, and insert "PEOPLES" between the two words?

Motorwaycop is offline Retired Plod
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Well I'm assuming they turned the engine off completely as they waited patiently for countybear to stop posting on LEF long enough to make his next move, rather than idling with the engine running waiting to pounce on countybear at any moment.
    Jenna, Jenna, so much you have to learn.

No cop worth their weight in doughnuts sits with his engine off for two good reasons.

1. He/she wants the heater on
    2.He/she wants the air con on
    1 or 2 are obviously a choice as to the season or geographic location.
    the sole advantage of power is that you can do more good.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

Morris is offline Chief Wheaties Pisser
    Verified LEO
    Do either one of two things: 1) Get California to seceed from the rest of us and keep their loonies in their own country, or 2) Nuke LA, Sacramento and San Fran and call the state morbid.

I fled the state in 1988 and have never lived there since. Hell, I can barely stand going to Disneyland.

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Morris View Post
    Do either one of two things: 1) Get California to seceed from the rest of us and keep their loonies in their own country, or 2) Nuke LA, Sacramento and San Fran and call the state morbid.

I fled the state in 1988 and have never lived there since. Hell, I can barely stand going to Disneyland.
    Nuke L.A. and San Francisco but hold off on Sacratomatoe untill I can move away.

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

lewisipso is online now Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    State abandons plan to allow utilities to control home thermostats
    It wasn't him this time.

Black SUV located in close proximity and... uh... well, is no longer a concern. The package has been intercepted by certain people within our "organization" and returned with a polite message to attempt no futher contact. Such is the power of the Swamp.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

lewisipso is online now Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    No charge CB.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Follow the money... See who they lined up to supply these smart thermostats, and then see if any of the decision-makers have an interest in the company (or his wife, etc)

In these situations, someone always has a relationship that would raise eyebrows.

I bet there's some of that going on with Red-Light cameras, too. Lots of money potential in that scheme!

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Thread Information