Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Standard Dave is offline Constable

Booby trap 'was illegal firearm'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/l...re/7200759.stm

A home-made booby trap which exploded in the hand of a 12-year-old boy who trespassed on private land was an illegal firearm, a jury has been told.

Jack Clarkson, 63, installed the alarm gun at his mill in Worsthorne, near Burnley, Lancashire, after he suffered a spate of thefts and fire damage.

Jack John Ashley, known as JJ, was badly hurt when he set the trap off.
    Mr Clarkson denies charges of possessing a prohibited firearm at Burnley Crown Court.

If convicted he faces a minimum five-year jail term.
    The court was told how JJ and three other youths entered the mill on 6 April 2006.

JJ, of Worsthorne, needed surgery on his damaged hand after he triggered the device he took from private land belonging to skip firm owner Mr Clarkson.

Mr Clarkson had installed the alarm gun device, which fired a live 12-bore shotgun cartridge, to scare off trespassers at Worsthorne Skip Hire.

Mr Clarkson, of Water Street, Worsthorne, was arrested by police the next day along with fellow defendants Derek Kokocinski, 56, of Salterford Lane, Cliviger, Burnley, and Peter Smith, 51, of Gordon Street, Worsthorne.

Mr Kokocinksi, who admits making the alarm gun and giving it to Mr Clarkson, is accused of manufacturing a prohibited firearm, and Mr Smith is charged with possessing a prohibited firearm, after a similar alarm gun was found on his allotment.
    All deny the charges and the trial continues.

---------------------------------------------

I assume some of you will be horified that a man cannot defend his own property from a gang of kids trespassing.

I though well if the boys hadn't been there then it wouldn't have happened.

MonsterMash is offline Proud 3%er
    Quote Originally Posted by Standard Dave View Post
    JJ, of Worsthorne, needed surgery on his damaged hand after he triggered the device he took from private land belonging to skip firm owner Mr Clarkson.
    I say tit for tat.
    Are you a 3%er? If you aren't, you should be.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Little shits shouldn't have been stealing. I wouldn't necessarily have used a gun, but then I've got beaver traps at my disposal. The old fashioned type, similar to bear traps. Thieves can't often run far with a broken leg in one of those.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    [Old crabby man voice on]

In my day we strung up fish hooks using fish hooks and planted toe poppers. And we liked it!!!! [Old crabby man voice off]

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Eh, I'll take a different point of view.

While I think the firearms charge is a blatant civil rights violation (and yes, I know the UK tramps that right don't get into it), the charge of laying a trap has merit.

We have such a law in Washington State as well, and although this time it got a kid with his hand in the jar, it could also get a fireman, policeman, etc. responding to a legitimate call for service.

Dopers also trap their grow ops and labs.

I think the trap charge is legit.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Setting a spring gun, pit fall, dead fall, snare, or other dangerous weapon or like device is a misdemeanor in MN punishable by up to 6 months in jail and a $1,000.00 fine.

There is also a statute relating to negligent storage or firearms that are accesible to a child under 14 yoa. It is a felony if a child accesses the firearm and suffers an injury, but the owner of the firearm is not liable if the access was the result of illegal entry on part of the child (burglary).
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Motorwaycop is offline Retired Plod
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    To help the whole firearm thing can be a little misleading.
    Anything that is a lethal barreled weapon can be a firearm, tube with black powder from a firework for instance.
    Our CS gas also falls into a firearm category. Hence we can only carry on duty and the Cs spray must stay at work secured in your locker or other secure storage.
    It is and always has been an offence to lay traps or booby trap even your own property.(For exactly the reasons given by Maclean)I remember a local business that got into trouble for wiring up his doors to the mains!
    Whilst sympathising with the so called offender, fed up with ongoing burglaries and the lack of the judicial system to help no doubt, it falls to us to enforce the laws that are currently in place.
    the sole advantage of power is that you can do more good.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    Eh, I'll take a different point of view.

While I think the firearms charge is a blatant civil rights violation (and yes, I know the UK tramps that right don't get into it), the charge of laying a trap has merit.

We have such a law in Washington State as well, and although this time it got a kid with his hand in the jar, it could also get a fireman, policeman, etc. responding to a legitimate call for service.

Dopers also trap their grow ops and labs.

I think the trap charge is legit.

I agree. I was just trying to make lite of the situation. The dope growers are where I got the devices I mentioned from. Not to mention all the things the Viet Cong came up with.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    While much is made about the millowner and the guy who made the booby trap, what about the kid. Is he going to skip any charges because he got hurt? Poor baby, attempted a burglery and got hurt doing it.

He just "took the device", I'm sorry, the little turd stole the device!!! He should be prosecuted more that the millowner who was trying to protect his propery.

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    FYI....In Washington State, those devices are called Coyote Getters and have been banned for decades due to folks getting tangled up in them and/or shot while they were just minding their own business.

Hey, if you are pissed enough to shoot someone, best to do it in person. That way they get the message first hand.

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    They have been illegal here for years too. But the little shit deserved it.

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

Shoestring is offline Please dont check the trunk...
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by armsmaster270 View Post
    They have been illegal here for years too. But the little shit deserved it.
    +1

Dont wish harm upon anyone but sometimes it does a shit good

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    The 'best' booby trap (apart from some IRA ones I encountered) was a push type lawnmower, which was hung upright above a door. When the door was opened the lawn mower swung down and tried to take your head off. Fortunately, not being stupid, when we breached the door we were to the side.
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

Thread Information