Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Beans is offline Street Cop
    Verified LEO

IL Trooper in Hot Water.

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    126 to a non-injury accident?

Yikes.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Resident Smart Ass is offline I ASK THE QUESTIONS AROUND HERE
    Verified LEO
    That sucks.

We had a similar incident in NJ about a 1 year or 2 ago where a trooper was responding to a call (forgot what the call was) but I believe he blew a stop sign and t-boned a mini-van and I believe 2 teenagers were killed.

Sad all around
    Don't you just hate it when someone's balls are hidden so well, they can't seem to find it themselves ~ RSA

You can't avoid gossip & rude words from
    people. You can't please everybody. But remember, they wouldn't bother if you meant nothing.

FOLLOW RSA ON TWITTER (IF YOU'RE GOING TO FOLLOW ME, PLEASE SEND ME A MESSAGE ON HERE WITH YOUR O/R USERNAME AND TWEET USERNAME SO I'LL KNOW WHO I'M ACCEPTING OTHERWISE YOU WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!)
    https://twitter.com/RESIDENTSMARTAS

A PINT OF SWEAT SAVES A GALLON OF BLOOD ~ PATTON

Terminator is offline BANNED
    NO call, except helping another LEO who needs emergency assistance, is worth going that fast!

Verified LEO
    Found the story:
    N.J. Trooper Pleads 'Not Guilty' In Deadly Crash

CAPE MAY (AP) ― Since the night her two daughters died in a horrific crash when a state trooper's cruiser plowed into them, Maria Caifa has wanted to meet the man behind the wheel, to see him, to speak with him.

Thursday morning, she got her wish.

Trooper Robert Higbee asked Caifa's lawyer if he could have a brief word with the woman moments after the hearing ended. The two embraced for about 15 seconds and exchanged a few words.

Neither Higbee's lawyer nor Caifa's lawyer would say what was discussed. Higbee did not speak during the arraignment, which lasted approximately three minutes. His lawyer entered a plea of not guilty to two counts of death by auto.

Lewis April, Caifa's lawyer, said she had long wanted to speak to Higbee and was appreciative of the trooper's gesture.

She was too upset to speak to reporters on Thursday, he added.

"She had never seen trooper Higbee. He was the individual who changed her life," April said. "She had always said she wanted to talk to trooper Higbee. This was something she wanted all along -- some kind of response."

The head of the state trooper's union said Higbee is extremely upset over the deaths.

"From Day One, his heart is broken," said David Jones, president of the State Troopers Fraternal Association. "He couldn't be any more remorseful."

The charges stem from a crash that killed two teenage sisters as they drove to get a gallon of milk in Upper Township in September.

Authorities said Higbee ran a stop sign and struck the front driver's side of the teens' Dodge Caravan, killing 17-year-old Jacqueline Becker and her 19-year-old sister, Christina.

The van and patrol car skidded across the road, smashing into another minivan that was stopped at the intersection.

Higbee was issued summonses in October for failure to stop or yield right of way and careless driving. He was indicted on the death by auto charge last month and remains suspended without pay pending the resolution of the case.

If convicted, the trooper could face a prison term of five to 10 years.

David Meyer, Cape May County's first assistant prosecutor, said his office had offered a plea deal to Higbee, but the offer has not yet been accepted or rejected. Meyer, April, and Higbee's lawyer, D. William Subin, all declined to say what the offer was.

But Subin said Higbee is not interested in pleading guilty to anything.

"This was a tragic accident," he said. "Trooper Higbee is innocent of any criminal wrongdoing. I do not believe this case belongs in criminal court. Unless a motion is granted to dispose of this matter, he will absolutely go to trial."

Jones said Higbee was chasing a speeder who was going at least 30 mph faster than the speed limit. But several witnesses have told authorities and Caifa's lawyer that they saw no other vehicle on the road just before the crash.

"He was attempting to stop that violator, and he missed a stop sign in an area that was not familiar to him," Jones said. "We are allowed to chase speeders. That's what we do."
    ( 2007 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

http://cbs3.com/capemay/Trooper.Robe....2.307979.html
    Don't you just hate it when someone's balls are hidden so well, they can't seem to find it themselves ~ RSA

people. You can't please everybody. But remember, they wouldn't bother if you meant nothing.

FOLLOW RSA ON TWITTER (IF YOU'RE GOING TO FOLLOW ME, PLEASE SEND ME A MESSAGE ON HERE WITH YOUR O/R USERNAME AND TWEET USERNAME SO I'LL KNOW WHO I'M ACCEPTING OTHERWISE YOU WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!)

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    NO call, except helping another LEO who needs emergency assistance, is worth going that fast!
    I agree. This guy also caused an accident once before that cost the state of IL 1 million dollars.
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    +1
    I'm your huckleberry...

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

213th is offline Solipsist
    I wonder....if the dashcam is no help cause his lights/siren weren't on or if it was completely destroyed in the crash. If it's the first reason....it makes me wonder what the reasoning for the speed would be if there wasn't a need for the lights. Not that it matters, whether or not the speed was justified, the accident is still tragic
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Verified LEO
    +1 but also gotta remember you're useless if you get yourself into an accident responding to a officer assist.

Get there fast but with extreme caution

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by 213th View Post
    I wonder....if the dashcam is no help cause his lights/siren weren't on or if it was completely destroyed in the crash. If it's the first reason....it makes me wonder what the reasoning for the speed would be if there wasn't a need for the lights. Not that it matters, whether or not the speed was justified, the accident is still tragic
    When this first happened the news said the camera was never turned on.

BEK
    BEK is offline Lieutenant
    Verified LEO
    I guess I would want to hear the dispatch tapes n such. Alot of times they send units to a scene with unknown injuries and turn out to be minor fender benders. Not saying that its an excuse but I would like to hear the full story.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Ding, ding, ding!!!! We have a winner.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I think I've broken 100 mph once or twice....ever.

If I went any higher I'd probably shit my pants.

126 is just to fast.

But, I wasn't there....so I'm not going to say he was wrong.

But it definetly doesn't sound right.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Terrible situation for all involved.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

213th is offline Solipsist
    Quote Originally Posted by BEK View Post
    I guess I would want to hear the dispatch tapes n such. Alot of times they send units to a scene with unknown injuries and turn out to be minor fender benders. Not saying that its an excuse but I would like to hear the full story.
    based on that, with some outside the box thinking, what if he recognized the tag as one registered to a wife or close family member? Just something that popped into my head...
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    126 MPH is too fast for an injury accident, let alone a non-injury accident.

Unless the accident involves police cars, I can't see it.
    I'm your huckleberry...

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    I think I've broken 100 mph once or twice....ever.

If I went any higher I'd probably shit my pants.
    You're such a sally
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    He was going way too fast snd due to the lack of dashcam being on without his Emergency lights also. Double screwed.

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

PapaBear is offline SgtCHP-Retired
    Ka-ching, Ka-ching, Ka-ching! This one is going to cost ISP more than a Million dollars. No call is worth taking that chance or driving at that speed - unless it is to save your own life or a partner's life. Tragic, just trajic.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.
    [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Big Al is offline There is no place like home....
    Verified LEO
    A few years back one of our guys was charged/convicted of manslaughter after he T-boned and killed a lady. He had been chasing a motorcycle that he could no longer see. He had is lights and siren on, ran a stop sign and smacked the other vehicle.

He is still working for us. He did not get any jail time with his sentence.
    To be a good Law Enforcement Officer you MUST know the law!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information