Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky

Notorious Pedophile Dies in Prison

Steven Stayner, now you may truly rest in peace

Kidnap-molester dies in prison; he kept boy for years

By Don Thompson
    ASSOCIATED PRESS

January 23, 2008

SACRAMENTO – Kenneth Eugene Parnell, whose abduction and confinement of a California boy in the 1970s became the basis of a TV movie, died of natural causes while serving a life sentence, state prison authorities said yesterday.

Parnell, 76, died at the hospice of the California Medical Facility in Vacaville on Monday night, corrections officials said. Officials said he had been sick for some time but wouldn't discuss the nature of the illness.

Parnell, one of California's most notorious child molesters, was convicted of kidnapping Steven Stayner as the 7-year-old walked home from school in the Central Valley town of Merced in 1972. Parnell gave the boy a different name and kept him until he escaped in 1980.

When Parnell abducted a second boy in Ukiah that year, Stayner fled, taking 5-year-old Timmy White with him to safety. He told Ukiah police he wanted to save the boy from suffering the same abuse.

Stayner's story was told in the television movie “I Know My First Name Is Steven.” He died in a motorcycle accident in 1989 at age 24.

Stayner's brother, Cary Stayner, is at San Quentin State Prison awaiting execution for killing four women at Yosemite National Park in 1999. His parents testified at his trial that they felt they had neglected him as a youth because they were preoccupied with searching for his younger brother.

“Pretty much his reaction was he hadn't thought about him in years and he didn't care,” San Quentin prison Lt. Sam Robinson said. “He was really nonchalant about it.”

Stayner's parents, Delbert and Kay, did not return a telephone message for comment left at their home.

“All I can say is, good, I'm glad he's dead,” Merced County Sheriff Mark Pazin said of Parnell.

Pazin was 9 and attending a school in the same neighborhood when Stayner was kidnapped from a town that at the time had about 10,000 residents.

“It basically paralyzed that small community,” Pazin said in a telephone interview. “I just remember my mom was absolutely beside herself. . . . You could ride your bike across town and never have a problem. That all came to a screeching halt after Steven was kidnapped.”

Parnell was paroled after serving about five years in state prison for the earlier kidnappings. In 2004, he was sentenced to 25 years to life after he tried to obtain a third child for what prosecutors described then as the “last hurrah” of an aging pedophile.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Far too peaceful of a passing for a monster like that.

Enjoy hell, asshole.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

k-9max is offline K9 Officer
    Verified LEO
    What Ashame, POS
    YEAH, IM THE BERRIES, AND CHERRIES IN YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    Eat it, Play with it, or piss on it, and walk away!

As smart as man is, we haven't been able to invent a machine that can smell drugs or tell us where a person has walked,” Dogs are sophisticated investigative tools!

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Fukketh himmeth.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

kjlaw is offline Swamp Mafia Proud!!!
    Verified LEO
    Death should have came long age from a red hot iron rod into his brain through his ass.
    Lead from the front and always remember those who came first.

Capt. Ocativo "OX" Gonzalez
    EOW 6/16/06

Always remember that a casket is hotter than your vest.

Quote Originally Posted by conalabu View Post
    Soon the whole world will be in the hands of the Swamp Mafia.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlaw View Post
    Death should have came long ago from a red hot iron rod into his brain through his ass.
    +1 Simple, elegant, and fitting.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Probation13-901 is offline Master Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by Pudge113 View Post
    Enjoy hell, asshole.
    Ditto..

Ender is offline Three Sheets...
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Pudge113 View Post
    Far too peaceful of a passing for a monster like that.

Enjoy hell, asshole.
    well put.
    --

Ender

"And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon..."

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I had a feeling this story would make it here. Merced is only 35 miles from me. I was a young kid myself when this happened and remember it vividly, having lived in the area. I feel bad for Steven's parents and all they have gone through. Losing Steven to this kidnapping and molestation. Unfortunately Steven passed away in 1989 from a motorcycle accident in Merced. Steven is also a brother to Cary Stayner, the individual who is known for the 1999 Yosemite Sightseer murders. I can't say much for Cary though. He is serving his time in San Quentin on Death Row for his heinous crimes.

http://www.modbee.com/local/story/188556.html

Steven Stayner's kidnapper dies in prison

Child molester Kenneth Parnell is sentenced in Oakland on April 15, 2004, after attempting to puchase a child. Parnell, who died Monday, had 'been ill for some time' a prison spokewoman said.
    AP - D. ROSS CAMERON

Parnell, 76, was serving life after seeking another child
    By DON THOMPSON
    THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
    last updated: January 23, 2008 05:13:59 AM

Kenneth Eugene Parnell, one of California's most notorious child molesters, has died of natural causes while serving a life sentence.

Parnell, 76, died at the California Medical Facility in Vacaville on Monday night, corrections officials said Tuesday.

He was convicted of kidnapping 7-year-old Steven Stayner as the boy walked home from school in Merced in 1972. Parnell gave the boy a different name and kept him until Stayner escaped in 1980.

When Parnell abducted a second boy in Ukiah that year, Stayner fled, taking 5-year-old Timmy White with him to safety. He told Ukiah police that he wanted to save the boy from suffering the same abuse.

Stayner's story was told in the television movie "I Know My First Name is Steven." He died in a motorcycle crash in 1989 at age 24.

Stayner's brother, Cary, is in San Quentin State Prison awaiting execution for killing Carole Sund, daughter Julie and family friend Silvina Pelosso, who had been sightseeing in Yosemite National Park, and Joie Ruth Armstrong, a Yosemite naturalist, in 1999.

Cary Stayner's parents testified at his trial that they felt they neglected him as a youth because they were preoccupied with searching for his younger brother.

"Pretty much his reaction was he hadn't thought about (Parnell) in years and he didn't care," said San Quentin prison Lt. Sam Robinson. "He was really nonchalant about it."

Stayner's parents, Delbert and Kay, did not return a telephone message left at their home.

"All I can say is, good, I'm glad he's dead," Merced County Sheriff Mark Pazin said.

Pazin was 9 and attending a school in the same neighborhood when Steven Stayner was kidnapped from Merced, which at the time had a little more than 10,000 residents.

"It basically paralyzed that small community," Pazin recalled in a telephone interview. "I just remember my mom was absolutely beside herself. ... You could ride your bike across town and never have a problem. That all came to a screeching halt after Steven was kidnapped."

Parnell was paroled after serving about five years in state prison for the earlier kidnappings. In 2004, he was sentenced to 25 years to life after he had attempted to obtain another child for what prosecutors described then as the "last hurrah" of an aging pedophile.

Prosecutors said he asked the sister of his former caretaker to deliver a 4-year-old boy to his Berkeley apartment in exchange for $500. The woman went to police instead.

Parnell was arrested after he gave the woman $100 in exchange for a birth certificate police provided for a fictitious boy.

"Kenneth Parnell's death brings to a close his long criminal history of victimizing young children," said Alameda County Deputy District Attorney Tim Wellman, who prosecuted Parnell in the 2004 case.

Corrections spokeswoman Terry Thornton said Parnell died in a prison hospice.

"He's been ill for some time," Thornton said, although she did not know the nature of the illness. "He was expected to die and was receiving pastoral care and other medical care."

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Illiy is offline Corporal
    I didn't know the two Stayners were related...

How is it fair that this guy got to have a peaceful death when he committed such horrible crimes... Someone should have taken care of him in prison a long time ago!
    FIGHT ON!

Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    When my kind come to rule this planet your name shall be put on a list, a protected list, and no harm shall come to you.

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    After reading more about this... I digress.

Fukketh Himmeth Deepeth.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Thread Information