Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Lo523 is offline Master Officer
    Supporting Member Lvl 1

Police Protest March

More than 22,000 rank and file police officers marched through London to protest over their pay. Wearing matching white caps and holding placards which read "Fair Play for Police", the off-duty officers staged a good-natured walk through to Westminster. Britain's largest ever police demonstration was deeply embarrassing for the Government. It was organised by the Police Federation after Home Secretary Jacqui Smith refused to honour the findings of an independent arbitration tribunal to give police a 2.5 per cent pay rise. She backdated the rise to December instead of September, effectively making it worth only 1.9 per cent. The Federation has now applied for a judicial review of the decision.
    Show of force: The marching bobbies wore white helmets demanding 'Fair pay for police' with an added 'l' to read 'Fair play'

The sea of police officers surges from Park Lane to Parliament Square, causing traffic delays in the capital

One of the 22,500 protesters, Met PC Stuart Reid, said: "It's not about the money. We can't strike and the arbitration is the only place we have a voice. The Government ignored that and went behind our backs. They have treated us with contempt."

The protest culminated in a rally addressed by Federation chairman Jan Berry, who said the Prime Minister had broken the bond of trust between the Government and police.
    She later presented a petition to 10 Downing Street and met Miss Smith.

An officer's family joins him on the march in protest at a decision by the Home Secretary that police say cuts a pay rise from 2.5 to 1.9 per cent

Shadow Home Secretary David Davis told the rally: "The simple truth is that the police force is the victim of a betrayal of trust."

The chairman of the Commons' Home Affairs Select Committee, Labour MP Keith Vaz, who lodged an Early Day Motion backing police, received a standing ovation.

Others marching included the LibDem candidate for London Mayor, former Met Deputy Assistant Commissioner Brian Paddick.

Mr Paddick said: "The police pay deal is a cynical attack on police officers because they cannot strike. These brave men and women put their lives on the line for us every day and they deserve to be treated fairly. "With Scottish police officers and all police support staff getting the full rise, all the arguments that the Home Secretary is using to restrict the police pay rise to 1.9 per cent are blown out of the water." Officers will be balloted next month to decide whether to demand the right to strike. It has been illegal for police to strike since the 1990s.
    In the Commons Gordon Brown defended the pay award, saying: "There has been a 39 per cent rise in police pay over the last ten years."

And the official behind reducing the Police Pay deal gets a 10K bonus!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1770
    Never approach a bull by the front, a horse from behind, or an idiot from any direction.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I admire the fact that you can get 22,000 cops to march like that.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Morris is offline Chief Wheaties Pisser
    Verified LEO
    Kudos to my UK brethern for doing that! WOnder what would happen if NYPD did the same?

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I'd bet that any 'persons of interest' planned to be very, very far away that day.

One can only hope that the 'deeply embarrassing' march will get the desired results.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Morris View Post
    Kudos to my UK brethern for doing that! WOnder what would happen if NYPD did the same?
    37K? Now that I would fly out there on my own dime to watch.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    I'd bet that any 'persons of interest' planned to be very, very far away that day.

One can only hope that the 'deeply embarrassing' march will get the desired results.
    Amen to that. The P.M. is beaneath contempt.

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

Thread Information