Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Resident Smart Ass is offline I ASK THE QUESTIONS AROUND HERE
    Verified LEO

Police Officer Killed In White Plains Shootout

Police Officer Killed In White Plains Shootout

POSTED: 5:49 pm EST January 25, 2008
    UPDATED: 8:36 pm EST January 25, 2008

NEW YORK -- Westchester County police were involved in the fatal shooting of a Mount Vernon police officer in downtown White Plains Friday afternoon.
    White Plains Public Safety Commissioner Frank Straub told a news conference that the victim of the shooting was a Mount Vernon police officer. The officer's name wasn't released, so that his family could be told first.
    Police said two men were involved in an argument outside 85 Court St., a district office of the county Department of Social Services, when one of them pulled out a gun and possibly fired a shot. The noise drew the attention of officers inside the building who came out and ordered the armed man to drop the gun, police said.
    Police began firing after the man, who was a police officer and not in uniform, did not comply.
    Straub said Westchester County police officers were involved in the fatal shooting and were taken to a local hospital for trauma. Straub wouldn't comment on what sparked the shooting, or how many county officers were involved.
    Susan Tolchin, chief adviser to County Executive Andrew Spano, said she was in her office in the county building when she heard a shot and went to the window. Outside, she saw a man down and police with their guns drawn, after which she heard more shots.
    http://www.wnbc.com/news/15140630/de...l?dl=mainclick
    Don't you just hate it when someone's balls are hidden so well, they can't seem to find it themselves ~ RSA

You can't avoid gossip & rude words from
    people. You can't please everybody. But remember, they wouldn't bother if you meant nothing.

FOLLOW RSA ON TWITTER (IF YOU'RE GOING TO FOLLOW ME, PLEASE SEND ME A MESSAGE ON HERE WITH YOUR O/R USERNAME AND TWEET USERNAME SO I'LL KNOW WHO I'M ACCEPTING OTHERWISE YOU WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!)
    https://twitter.com/RESIDENTSMARTAS

A PINT OF SWEAT SAVES A GALLON OF BLOOD ~ PATTON

kjlaw is online now Swamp Mafia Proud!!!
    Verified LEO
    WTF
    Lead from the front and always remember those who came first.

Capt. Ocativo "OX" Gonzalez
    EOW 6/16/06

Always remember that a casket is hotter than your vest.

Quote Originally Posted by conalabu View Post
    Soon the whole world will be in the hands of the Swamp Mafia.

Verified LEO
    Really like to know the entire story behind this..either way..Very Tragic!
    Don't you just hate it when someone's balls are hidden so well, they can't seem to find it themselves ~ RSA

people. You can't please everybody. But remember, they wouldn't bother if you meant nothing.

FOLLOW RSA ON TWITTER (IF YOU'RE GOING TO FOLLOW ME, PLEASE SEND ME A MESSAGE ON HERE WITH YOUR O/R USERNAME AND TWEET USERNAME SO I'LL KNOW WHO I'M ACCEPTING OTHERWISE YOU WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!)

Growler is offline I is not happy
    Verified LEO
    holy crap. There is a lot to find out about this story.

Verified LEO
    I remember way back maybe in the early 90's when a off duty NYPD cop was on train and shots were fired and he reacted and saw a guy (turned out to be an undercover Transit cop) with the gun and ended up shooting him. I think he ended up going ot jail.

I'll see if i can dig up that story somewhere

Verified LEO
    Found it..hope this new situation isn't like this one years ago..either way it's a very sad situation for everyone involved

Officer Urges a Lenient Sentence For the Colleague Who Shot Him

By GEORGE JAMES

Published: March 28, 1996
    Desmond Robinson said yesterday that he does not want a fellow police officer who was convicted on Tuesday of shooting him four times in the back to go to prison, adding that he plans to appeal for leniency at his sentencing.
    Mr. Robinson made the remarks after a jury found that the other officer, Peter Del-Debbio, was guilty of second-degree assault in the shooting. The verdict represented an extremely rare, and perhaps un precedented, instance of a police officer facing criminal penalties for shooting a fellow officer, and now Mr. Del-Debbio faces up to seven years in prison when sentenced on May 22. But Mr. Robinson said his fellow officer should be spared prison.
    I don't see any reason for Peter to have to go to jail and deal with something like that," said Mr. Robinson, who retired on a medical disability after being shot by Officer Del-Debbio and later testified against him at the trial. "We've already been through enough."
    Mr. Robinson made the conciliatory comments at a news conference at his lawyer's office. Still, the two officers could face off in court again soon, as Mr. Robinson, who is black, is continuing to pursue his $50 million civil suit against Officer Del-Debbio and the city which says that the shooting prevented him from working as a police officer.
    The case raised a host of questions about police behavior and attitudes, particularly whether white officers like Officer Del-Debbio are too quick to view black undercover officers as criminals. Yesterday, the verdict drew a harsh response both from the police union and City Hall, where Mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani issued a detailed critique of the jury's decision.
    Before their paths crossed on a Manhattan subway platform in August 1994, as Officer Robinson was responding to a report of two youths with guns and Officer Del-Debbio mistook him for a criminal, the two had the strongest of bonds: their jobs as police officers.
    But the shooting is leaving both of them exiles from their profession: Officer Robinson has left the force because of physical and psychological injuries stemming from the shootings, and Officer Del-Debbio faces automatic dismissal because of his conviction.
    "That is punishment enough," Mr. Robinson said.
    Mr. Robinson said he planned to be in the courtroom at Mr. Del-Debbio's sentencing, speaking as a victim, but he would do so on his assailant's behalf.
    "Peter Del-Debbio at some point is going to have to deal with everything that's happened," he said. "I look forward to talking to the judge and requesting that Peter be given the most lenient possible sentence."
    But Officer Robinson said he had wanted a criminal trial because he wanted the facts to come out. He said he was satisfied with that but when asked if he forgave Officer Del-Debbio, he said, "That's an interesting word." He added, "We all have to be held accountable. I wouldn't say 'forgive.' I'd say I understand what happened. And how it happens."
    The Aug. 22, 1994, shooting occurred after a teen-ager dropped a gun in the Lexington Avenue subway station at East 53d Street. Officer Robinson, working in plain-clothes, gave chase. One of the suspects dropped a shotgun in the last car of a stopped F train, and it discharged.
    Mr. Robinson testified he ran alongside the train toward the explosion and, while passing the doorway of the last car, was shot four times in the back, twice after falling to the platform.
    Officer Del-Debbio gave a conflicting version, saying that after he picked up the shotgun he saw a black man, who turned out to be Officer Robinson, running toward him, his gun in hand. He said he saw no badge or color of the day that would have identified the man as an officer. Afraid of being shot and killed, he emptied his off-duty revolver at the man.
    Officer Robinson acknowledged at trial that he was not wearing a badge or an identifying color, but, he said yesterday, it was wrong for the defense to blame him for the shooting. He was the victim, he said.
    A jury acquitted Officer Del-Debbio of the more serious charge of first-degree assault -- which carries a mandatory prison sentence -- but found him guilty of second-degree assault, or being reckless in shooting Officer Robinson.
    Yesterday, Mayor Giuliani said that he was "disturbed about the verdict" and detailed several specific criticisms. He called the shooting "a terrible, awful accident" rather than "a deliberate crime."
    "The fact is that in a situation like that, the firing takes place in all of about three to four seconds," he said. "The phenomenon he was responding to was one which he reasonably could have believed was not only putting his own life in jeopardy but the lives of other people on the train."
    Mr. Giuliani questioned whether Mr. Robinson was actually shot four times in the back, as one juror said after reaching the verdict. The Mayor said there was conflicting testimony on this issue, and he questioned the reliability of forensic evidence in this case.
    Mr. Giuliani said that if this were a civil trial, both officers might be seen as negligent.
    Officer Robinson said yesterday that from the beginning, he felt Mayor Giuliani and Police Commissioner William J. Bratton, by quickly characterizing the shooting as an accident involving two good officers, were taking Officer Del-Debbio's side in an effort to protect him and to try to smooth over the racial tensions emanating from the case.
    "The Mayor and the Police Commissioner are stuck with the job of trying to avoid major racial problems within the city," Mr. Robinson said. "I don't appreciate being used the way I have to avoid that. I think they could have waited a little longer and found out more facts."

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...50C0A960958260

PapaBear is offline SgtCHP-Retired

Off-duty officer shot by fellow officers

Mount Vernon N.Y. Jan 27 2008

The off-duty Mount Vernon police officer who was shot and killed by Westchester County police officers on Friday tried to break up a fight between two men and was trying to arrest one of them when he was fatally wounded, the authorities and two witnesses said on Saturday.

The officer who was killed, Christopher A. Ridley, 23, was off duty and not in uniform when he witnessed a “violent, aggravated assault” shortly before 5 p.m. near Court Street and Martine Avenue in downtown White Plains, outside the district offices of the Westchester County Department of Social Services, said Frank G. Straub, the commissioner of public safety in White Plains.

Commissioner Straub and other officials provided few new details about the shooting in a news conference on Saturday. But two witnesses, a homeless couple who gave their names only as Cathy and Brian, said Officer Ridley had tried to break up a scuffle between two men and then failed to drop his gun when the Westchester officers arrived and ordered him to do so.

The couple was outside the social services building, at 85 Court Street, before the shooting. The building until recently was the site of a county drop-in center for homeless men, and homeless people still congregate near there, waiting for a van that comes at 5 p.m. to take them to shelters.

The witnesses said the events leading to Officer Ridley’s shooting began when a homeless man began beating up another man. Officer Ridley emerged from his vehicle to try to stop the fight. He briefly chased the homeless man, and the two began fighting outside the social services building. Officer Ridley’s gun, which a third witness said the officer grabbed from his vehicle and tucked into his waistband, fell to the ground during the scuffle and discharged, with the bullet striking concrete, the homeless couple said.

The gunshot brought county police officers to the scene, and by the time they arrived, Officer Ridley had picked up his gun, the couple said.

“They told him put the gun down three times, and he wouldn’t put the gun down,” said Cathy, 44. She said that Officer Ridley might have been disoriented from the fight and unable to hear the officers’ commands. “He might have been dazed,” she said.

At that point, Officer Ridley was shot; it was not clear how many Westchester County officers had come to the scene or fired their weapons. The officials at the news conference refused to take questions, and they did not release the names of the officers involved or confirm any of the witnesses’ accounts. “We will continue to interview witnesses, and when more information becomes available, we will provide that to you,” Commissioner Straub said.

The authorities identified the man that Officer Ridley was trying to arrest as Anthony Jacobs, 39. They did not say whether Mr. Jacobs was in custody on Saturday.

Earlier, at a news conference outside the White Plains police headquarters, the Rev. Al Sharpton stood with members of Officer Ridley’s family and called for an investigation to determine whether the shooting was justified.

“Just as we are calling on the community not to rush to judgment, the police should not rush to judgment,” Mr. Sharpton said as he stood next to Stanley Ridley, Officer Ridley’s father. “There ought not to be a rush to judgment on either side.”

The authorities have not identified the races of the county officers who were involved in the confrontation. Officer Ridley was black, and Mr. Sharpton said: “I do not know if race played any issue at all as of yet. I do not know. We don’t rule it out or in.”

The chaotic scene unfolded on Friday in a bustling section of White Plains, where serious crimes like murder, robberies and assaults have dropped to their lowest levels in decades.

“I think it was simply a case where a police officer who was in the immediate area is witnessing an altercation in the street, and he did what every good policeman should do, which is to get involved and assist,” said Mayor Joseph M. Delfino of White Plains. “And after that, everything went bad.” He added, “This was a tragedy.

Mr. Jacobs is known by workers in the area for wandering the streets and rummaging through garbage. Keith Stewart, 47, who works as a medical assistant for a chiropractor, said he knew him only as “Twin.” Mr. Stewart said Mr. Jacobs got the nickname because he had a twin brother. The brother died, he said, and Twin had not been the same since.

“He’d talk to himself,” Mr. Stewart said. “He needs help. He needs to be in a hospital.”

The authorities said Mr. Jacobs’s address was 25 Operations Drive in Westchester County. That address is listed as the site of a homeless shelter in Valhalla run by the Volunteers of America.

Mr. Jacobs spent five years at the Sing Sing Correctional Facility in Ossining for a 1998 felony burglary conviction and was released on parole in 2004, according to state criminal records.

Westchester County police officials and the Westchester County district attorney, Janet DiFiore, asked the White Plains police to conduct the investigation into Officer Ridley’s death because of the county officers’ role in the shooting.

David Chong, the police commissioner in Mount Vernon, which borders the Bronx in southern Westchester, said he was confident that the White Plains police and the district attorney’s office would conduct “a thorough and unbiased investigation.”

Officer Ridley joined the Mount Vernon Police Department on Jan. 9, 2006. He was assigned to the patrol division.

He was remembered by fellow officers and friends as an enthusiastic and inquisitive policeman who was a disc jockey in his free time and was active at Grace Baptist Church in Mount Vernon, where his
    father worked as the head custodian and Officer Ridley served as a youth mentor.

The officer’s father did not speak to reporters at Mr. Sharpton’s news conference.

Friends of the officer said he was born in Mount Vernon, and after his parents divorced, he lived with his mother in New Jersey. At 17, he moved back to Mount Vernon and had been living with his father in a two-story house on South 11th Avenue.

Patrick Jean-Jerome, a Mount Vernon police officer, said the CD’s that Officer Ridley mixed and burned had become so popular in the department that there was a waiting list for copies.

The day before the shooting, Officer Jean-Jerome and Officer Ridley were on patrol together when a call came in about an assault suspect. Officer Jean-Jerome, who was driving, said they saw the suspect running down a street.

“Before the car was stopped, he jumped out and catches the guy,” he said of Officer Ridley. “By the time the car was in park, the guy was in handcuffs.”
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.
    [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Rest in peace.

k2.rocky is offline Officer First Class
    That is a horrible and very unfortunate incident for ALL parties involved.

On a sidenote............AL SHARPTON CAN KISS MY ASS!!!!!!!! He "doesn't know if race was a factor as of yet." Man this idiot gets my blood boiling! All I had to read was that Al Sharpton was involved and I knew the off-duty officer was black. Of course, Sharpton would NEVER demand an investigation of a white officer who was shot. Come on, don't make this situation any worse than it already is because you're a racist bigot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "When you stop learning, you deny yourself the opportunity to grow." ~TDSA Tulsa~
    www.tdsatulsa.com

"Anyone who gets in a fair fight…..has no tactical skills"

"We're entirely surrounded, those poor bastards. They've got us right where we want 'em. We can shoot in every direction now." ~General Chesty Puller~

"I firmly believe that you live and learn, and if you don't learn from past mistakes, then you need to be drug out and shot." ~R. Lee Ermy~

Verified LEO
    Threads Merged

TheeBadOne is offline Why so serious?
    Verified LEO

Frater, ave atque vale
    "When I'm driving along and I see a sign that says, CAUTION: SMALL CHILDREN AHEAD,
    I slow down, and then it occurs to me, I'm not afraid of small children"!

Star Man is offline Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
    Verified LEO
    Very sad and tragic. RIP

On a side note, you have to put the uniform out of your mind when you engage someone in a UC capacity or off duty capacity. You have to remember that the world no longer immediately recognizes you as LEO under stress situations. That was the first thing I was told when I went UC.

The gunshot brought county police officers to the scene, and by the time they arrived, Officer Ridley had picked up his gun, the couple said.

They told him put the gun down three times, and he wouldn’t put the gun down,” said Cathy, 44.
    We are taught that action is ALWAYS faster than reaction. If we see a dangerous situation (ie life threatening like a gun being held on someone) we have no requirement to offer the "Suspect" as we see it, a chance to turn and fire on us first. This may result in the person having the gun pointed at them being shot too. The turn and fire could easily happen before the officers in uniform can return fire. My department has done simunition drills on this many times, and the "suspect" always has the advantage. They teach us to deal with the threat, silently if deemed necessary. These uniform officers gave several warnings. I see it as a sad, but justified shoot. There is NO police requirements anywhere in the world that say we have to let someone shoot at us first, and hopefully they miss so we can fight back.

PS: Sharpton is an asshole through and through. He took a sad and tragic day and still spun it into his hate machine for the "man" and took away from a brother LEO loosing his life. I can't wait for god to strike that idiot off the face of the earth with some massive heart attack or stroke... fat fuhkin asshole slob.

Thread Information