Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Off-duty officer mistaken for perp, becomes victim of friendly fire. Rev. Al Sharpton weighs in.

An off-duty police officer who was shot to death in downtown White Plains appears to have been a victim of friendly fire.
    Mount Vernon Officer Christopher Ridley, 23, was trying to make an arrest outside a Westchester County government complex shortly before 5 p.m. Friday when officers from a different department spotted him, and, under circumstances that remain unclear, opened fire and killed him.
    Ridley was not in uniform and was out of his jurisdiction, but White Plains Public Safety Commissioner Frank Straub said yesterday that the young officer had witnessed a violent assault taking place and rushed to break up the fight.
    He was struggling with the 39-year-old suspect when Westchester County police officers came upon the fray. Witnesses told reporters that the officers ordered Ridley to drop his gun, then shot him when he didn't immediately comply.
    The shooting happened just as the streets began to fill with people leaving work.
    Yesterday, Straub and other police officials refused to discuss the details of the shooting and wouldn't say what prompted the county officers to shoot, how many of them shot, or how many shots were fired.
    The president of the police union in Mount Vernon, Kevin Mandel, said Ridley "couldn't have done anything wrong," and praised him as a hero for trying to break up the assault.
    Mount Vernon Police Commissioner David E. Chong called the slain officer "a quiet and kind soul," and said he was confident the White Plains Police Department - which operates independently from the Westchester County department - would conduct an impartial investigation.
    The shooting prompted a visit to White Plains yesterday by the Rev. Al Sharpton, who called for a thorough probe.
    Ridley attended the same church in Mount Vernon as the chairman of Sharpton's civil rights group.
    Speaking to reporters in front of the White Plains police headquarters, Sharpton said he didn't know whether race was a factor in the shooting.
    Ridley is black. Authorities did not initially reveal the ethnicity of the officer, or officers, who shot him. Sharpton said he would reserve judgment until the facts are known, and expected investigators to do the same.
    "As we are calling on the community not to rush to judgment, the police should not rush to judgment," Sharpton said. "You should not do a 12-hour investigation and say it was a justified shooting."
    Nearby, a group of women sobbed, "They killed our baby."
    The Rev. William Mizell, associate pastor at Grace Baptist Church in Mount Vernon, said Ridley was single and had no children.

k-9max is offline K9 Officer
    Verified LEO
    Unreal, Im at a loss for words on this one......
    YEAH, IM THE BERRIES, AND CHERRIES IN YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    Eat it, Play with it, or piss on it, and walk away!

As smart as man is, we haven't been able to invent a machine that can smell drugs or tell us where a person has walked, Dogs are sophisticated investigative tools!

TheeBadOne is offline Why so serious?
    Verified LEO

Frater, ave atque vale
    "When I'm driving along and I see a sign that says, CAUTION: SMALL CHILDREN AHEAD,
    I slow down, and then it occurs to me, I'm not afraid of small children"!

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I can only imagine the heartache that the officers that shot are going through right now. The whole situation stinks. I don't mean that as a derogatory sense to the fallen or the officers that opened fire. The situation just stinks all around. Now Sharpton is going to come out the toilet and throw more shit around making a bad situation worse for HIS benefit.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    I can only imagine the heartache that the officers that shot are going through right now. The whole situation stinks. I don't mean that as a derogatory sense to the fallen or the officers that opened fire. The situation just stinks all around. Now Sharpton is going to come out the toilet and throw more shit around making a bad situation worse for HIS benefit.
    +1 Five-0, you've summed things up quite well.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    Rest in Peace

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    Well said.
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

ex401mp is offline Was betrachten Sie?
    Verified LEO
    I hate that asshole. What a crappy thing to happen. Sharpton should just shut the fuck up and stay out of shit. What the hell he is he a reverand of anyway? For someone who is supposed to be a church leader, he sure is pretty racist himself, and what the hell is up with his hair?
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American G.I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom. ~ Anon

si hic carrus commovet non quaerete

RIP Scott L. Roth- Pfc 1st Platoon,401st MP Co, KIA 12/20/89- Operation Just Cause- Not forgotten.
    ALWAYS FIRST!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ex401mp View Post
    I hate that asshole. What a crappy thing to happen. Sharpton should just shut the fuck up and stay out of shit. What the hell he is he a reverand of anyway? For someone who is supposed to be a church leader, he sure is pretty racist himself, and what the hell is up with his hair?

I think you'll find this interesting.

http://www.realchange.org/sharpton.htm

Pedro56 is offline Englewood Ranger/Infidel Extraordinaire
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by ex401mp View Post

I couldn't agree with you more, a real tragedy and he has to bring up race being a factor. What an Asshat. Rest in Peace brother.
    http://www.lawenforcementforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic763_2.gif

"I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

God Made Police Men so Fireman Would Have Heroes.

kjlaw is online now Swamp Mafia Proud!!!
    Verified LEO
    I wondered if this was not the case when I first read about the incident so sad for all involved.
    Lead from the front and always remember those who came first.

Capt. Ocativo "OX" Gonzalez
    EOW 6/16/06

Always remember that a casket is hotter than your vest.

Quote Originally Posted by conalabu View Post
    Soon the whole world will be in the hands of the Swamp Mafia.

cntryboy0531 is offline THE five-oh
    Verified LEO
    You can tell how much Jackson hates Law Enforcement. Usually if the person shot by Law Enforcement is black, he's all ready up in arms, saying the police are wrong, they shot an innocent person, etc.... before hearing, or caring about any investigation.

However, black cop get's shot off duty by other cops.. He just makes a cheap jab at race, and say's "he would reserve judgment until the facts are known, and expected investigators to do the same." Not nearly the same reaction if the person shot was a street thug. He just hate's cops, all there is to it.

Just FYI, by no means am I saying I think he should be up in arms about this, or am I even remotely accusing the LEO's that shot, of any wrong doing. I'm just pointing out a drastic difference in his piles of bullshit he feeds to the public to further his position.

Star Man is offline Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
    Verified LEO
    At age 10, however, his parents divorced due to an affair his dad had with Sharpton's half-sister (ie his dad's step-daughter.) Sharpton's mother was forced to go on welfare, and at one point they went without electricity for 6 months. Al became an ordained minister shortly after his parents' divorce.
    How do you become an ordained minister at 10 or 11 years old?

ex401mp is offline Was betrachten Sie?
    Verified LEO
    Sharpton is an ignorant FUCK PIG!!!!! I cant stand that oxygen thief. What a shame to have him take something that was already bad and make it worse.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American G.I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom. ~ Anon

si hic carrus commovet non quaerete

RIP Scott L. Roth- Pfc 1st Platoon,401st MP Co, KIA 12/20/89- Operation Just Cause- Not forgotten.
    ALWAYS FIRST!!!

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Star Man View Post
    How do you become an ordained minister at 10 or 11 years old?
    From wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_sharpton

"Sharpton was licensed and ordained a Pentecostal minister at the age of nine by Bishop F.D. Washington"

I feel like puking now. Pardon me, I have to go shower after visiting that page.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson

Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    From wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_sharpton

"Sharpton was licensed and ordained a Pentecostal minister at the age of nine by Bishop F.D. Washington"

I feel like puking now. Pardon me, I have to go shower after visiting that page.
    In otherwords, he's not a "real" Reverend.

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    In otherwords, he's not a "real" Reverend.
    Correct, never attended seminary, or anything like it - unless you count being James Brown's tour manager. He's quoted as saying "I always say that James Brown taught me how to be a man." Which, to the locals here, certifies him as home grown batshit crazy.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)

Thread Information