Welcome to the APBWeb.
    121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

Dear Shit Face, you still owe us money!

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=85647

BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) - A collection agency tried to collect a $16.96 debt with an letter that addressed its recipient with a four-letter word for excrement.

"Dear S---," began the letter attempting to collect from an old record club membership. The word was spelled out in the letter, which arrived in an envelope addressed to "S--- Face."

"I've never seen anything quite so brazen," said attorney Kenneth Hiller.

He said his client plans to sue Nationwide Collections Inc. of Fort Pierce, Fla., next week.

Under U.S. law, debt collectors are not allowed to use profanity to collect a debt, Hiller said, nor are they supposed to threaten legal action over such a small amount.

Nationwide President Phillip McGarvey said the October 2007 letter was automatically generated after his company bought about 350,000 Columbia House accounts. "S--- Face" is the name under which the account was opened and the way the coupon to start the club was filled out, he said.

Hiller's client has signed an affidavit saying he never signed up for the music club membership under that name.

"It looks bad to the observer who is not familiar with the industry," acknowledged McGarvey, "but anybody who understands the volume would understand how this could happen. ...You've also got people filling in famous people's names."
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

So Fla Cop is offline Trunk Monkey Supporter
    Verified LEO
    The account is probably in that name so no one would be responsible for payment.....gotta love computers. Oh yeah.........sue........lawyer s SUCK.
    September 11, 2001 - All gave some, some gave all. Never forget -- Never forgive.......... RIP Brothers and Sisters.

CW Mock is offline Trooper
    Verified LEO
    Yeah, easier to hire a lawyer, pay all that money to SUE ... than it is to drop in a check for less than 20 bucks. Yeah, if your ass is too broke for that, then lawyering up is not a wise financial decision.

Besides, we all know he knew exactly who the letter was addressed to when he got it. He only got pissed when he saw it was a bill.
    "I have an open door policy on tickets ... if I have to open my door, you are getting a ticket. If I turn on those lights, somebody has to pay the electric bill."

The opinions given in my posts and comments
    DO NOT reflect any of the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "CW Mock" on LEF/Officer Resource.

Ender is offline Three Sheets...
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    It is conceivable that he did sign up under the name 'Shit Face.'

a guy who lived in the dorms down the hall signed up under all sorts of crazy names, just to see if he could get CDs for free. he had QUITE the collection
    --

Ender

"And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon..."

Thread Information