Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Police Search for Gunman Who Killed Five Women in Illinois Strip Mall

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,327929,00.html

TINLEY PARK, Ill. — Police were searching Sunday for a gunman who shot and killed five women during a botched robbery at a clothing store in suburban Chicago Saturday morning.
    The suspect, who was seen fleeing the store shortly after the fatal shooting, was described as a 5'9 black man, weighing between 230-260 pounds, and wearing a black cap, black jeans and a black, waist-length coat.
    Police found the five victims, including at least one employee, at the back of the Lane Bryant store in the Brookside Marketplace strip mall, after receiving a 911 call around 10:45 a.m, police said.
    Chief Mike O'Connell said a bystander who witnessed a man leaving the store provided the description of the suspect.
    Officers swept through neighboring shops at the aisle by aisle and with guns drawn, shortly after the shootings Saturday, but found no trace of the gunman.
    Attempts to find him with dogs and a helicopter equipped with infrared sensors also failed, authorities said.
    The store did not have its own security camera, O'Connell said, but investigators were trying to determine if there was video from cameras mounted at nearby stores.

"We do not want to compromise any evidence that may be out there ... I ask we keep family of the victims in our thoughts and prayers," he said.
    The Lane Bryant was open at the time of the shootings. Police would not identify the victims, but said they ranged in age from 22 to 37. Four were from suburban Chicago and one was from South Bend, Ind.
    The family of Carrie Hudek Chiuso, 33, of Frankfort, said she was one of the victims.
    "She is the most wonderful person, and that maniac took a piece of all of us," Jennifer Hudek, Chiuso's sister-in-law, told the Chicago Tribune for a story posted on its Web site Saturday.
    Chiuso, a 1993 graduate of Homewood-Flossmoor High School, was a social worker at the school.
    "Carrie was deeply loved by faculty and staff," school spokesman Dave Thieman said in a statement. "She had a real touch with students. The entire H-F family is deeply saddened."
    In a Target store across the parking lot from Lane Bryant, terrified customers were herded to the front as police with pistols and rifles drawn went up and down the aisles and into storerooms searching for the gunman.
    "I was so scared I couldn't think," said Selena Kujawa, who had just entered the store with her 5-year-old son when it was locked down. After about an hour, customers were told to leave.
    "They told us to get in our cars and get out of here," Kujawa said.
    Kujawa said her son was still asking about the shooting long after they had gotten home.
    "He asked `What happened to the people? Did they catch the bad guy?"' she said. "There will be lots of nightmares tonight."
    The police chief said no further information would be made available until Sunday afternoon, after forensic exams were completed.
    Police allowed shoppers into parts of the strip mall later Saturday, but had cordoned off the store.
    The small red and brown brick Lane Bryant is part of a cluster of four or five stores isolated on one side of a large blacktop parking lot, with big box stores including Target and a Best Buy several hundred yards away.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Dear Chicago,

Remember all of the outrage that you have experienced over the "rampant misconduct" of police officers there? Remember all of those 'highly respected' community leaders and activists whom you embraced with warm regard as they spewed volumes of hatred and antagonism toward your public servants? Remember those in the uniform who you despised and reviled openly, because you considered them a pack of brutal thugs who simply harassed your neighbors unjustly under the guise of law?

Meet a real wolf. He is out there, and he is vicious, and those men and women whom you chose to treat with disgust are your only salvation from him. They charge into his fangs, and they hunt him on the run, while you scurry away like frightened children, and bathe in the agony of your helplessness.

"A society that makes war on its police, had better make friends of its criminals..."

I'd love to just say how terribly sorry I am to hear of this horrendous and random crime, and I most certainly am. My deepest and most fervent prayers are for both peace and grace for the families of the victims, and for swift justice to come to the offender. But there is a lesson to be learned here, as well. This lesson has been taught throughout our history, but unfortunately, it has always been perishable in America.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

k2.rocky is offline Officer First Class
    My wife thinks I'm crazy for carrying my gun and an extra mag everywhere I go. I'm going to start forwarding these stories to her everytime I see one. There are wolves, sheep, and shepards. I won't let myself be a sheep.
    "When you stop learning, you deny yourself the opportunity to grow." ~TDSA Tulsa~
    www.tdsatulsa.com

"Anyone who gets in a fair fight…..has no tactical skills"

"We're entirely surrounded, those poor bastards. They've got us right where we want 'em. We can shoot in every direction now." ~General Chesty Puller~

"I firmly believe that you live and learn, and if you don't learn from past mistakes, then you need to be drug out and shot." ~R. Lee Ermy~

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I carry a weapon everywhere. I even carry a weapon into the bathroom at my house. You never know when you might shit something that needs killing.
    On a serious note there have been to many of these type of crimes. If you can and do not carry, consider yourself a potential homicide victim. My wife used to become irritated when I grabbed a gun everytime I left the house. After a few incidents she now asks me if I grabbed one.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by k2.rocky View Post
    My wife thinks I'm crazy for carrying my gun and an extra mag everywhere I go. I'm going to start forwarding these stories to her everytime I see one. There are wolves, sheep, and shepards. I won't let myself be a sheep.
    My wife needs no convincing - She has a Bersa, XD9 and she just bought a Kahr - Now if I can just get her to remember to carry it without my reminding her, and quit carrying the damn thing in her purse - I bought IWB holsters for her, but she always reverts back to the purse.

What's the first thing a mugger or robber is gonna want to grab from a woman besides her tits? Her purse! Then what good will that gun do her, if the criminal has it.

My advice to her was to throw the purse on the ground at his feet or hand it over, then shoot the MF when he bends over to pick it up or starts looking through it, if he doesn't run off immediately (or maybe even if he does run away with it, since we're in Texas )

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Thread Information