Welcome to the APBWeb.
    kjlaw is offline Swamp Mafia Proud!!!
    Verified LEO

Baby's body found near dog

Baby's body found near dog

How severed corpse got there is unclear
    Friday, February 01, 2008 By Matt Scallan

A New Sarpy man who went outside to feed the family dog Thursday found the mutilated body of a newborn baby just within the reach of the chained animal, according to the St. Charles Parish Sheriff's Office.
    The baby, whose lower body was missing, was wrapped in bloody white sheets or towels and was found just outside the gate of the kennel, Sheriff's Office spokesman Capt. Pat Yoes said.
    The dog, a 4-year-old female mixed-breed Labrador retriever named Midnight, would not have harmed a child, homeowner Alice Wells said.
    "She is a very gentle dog," Wells said. "She doesn't even eat table scraps."
    Family members said they have no idea where the baby came from.
    Yoes said a family member went out to feed the dog shortly before 4 p.m. and discovered the body. Family members were being interviewed by sheriff's deputies Thursday evening, while investigators from the Sheriff's Office crime-scene squad inspected the house.
    Authorities haven't determined how the baby's body was mutilated or how long the body was there. Authorities say the body was found "barely within" the chained dog's reach.
    "We don't know if an animal dragged the body to the kennel or if a human placed it there," Yoes said.
    Sheriff Greg Champagne said in a statement e-mailed to parish residents that detectives believe that the baby died a few hours before its body was discovered.
    St. Charles animal control officials have custody of the dog.
    Wells, who lives in the home with her husband, L.C., and other family members, said Timothy Dennis, the boyfriend of one of her daughters, found the body. Dennis declined an interview. Family members said he was too disturbed by the incident to talk about it.
    The kennel was on the left side of the brick home in the 700 block of East Hoover Street. The gate was open.
    Neighbor Michael Jackson said he saw the mutilated body, which he said looked as if it had been torn apart by an animal.
    Yoes said the baby's gender could not be immediately determined because the body was severed near the waist. The umbilical cord was still attached.
    Yoes said detectives are concerned about the health of the baby's mother.
    "We're concerned that she needs medical attention," he said.
    Alice Wells said she can't get over the sight of the baby's remains.
    "That little baby, with a head full of hair, just lying there in the rain," she said.
    Anyone with information about the baby is asked to contact the St. Charles Parish Sheriff's Office at (985) 783-6807.

UPDATE
    The mother of the baby whose mutilated body was found behind a New Sarpy house was booked with first-degree murder Friday by the St. Charles Parish Sheriff's Office.
    Belinda Wells, 24, a resident of the home in the 700 block of E. Hoover Street where the baby was found, was arrested in New Orleans. Police are still looking for Wells' boyfriend, Timothy Dennis, 32, for questioning.
    Dennis, also of the Hoover Street address, told police that he found the baby's body when he went outside to feed the family dog Thursday afternoon.
    Wells told someone that she had buried the baby in the backyard of the house, according to the arrest warrant.
    According to the Sheriff's Office, Dennis drives a gold 1981 Buick Regal with a half-vinyl top, license plate number OWD218.
    An autopsy of the newborn was completed Friday, but medical examiners don't know yet whether the infant was alive when the legs were severed at the waist, according to the Sheriff's Office.
    Sheriff's Office spokesman Capt. Pat Yoes said the autopsy was inconclusive as to the cause of death, but revealed that the baby was not stillborn because air was in the lungs. Investigators believe the infant was several hours old when it died.
    The body, with the umbilical cord attached, was found near a dog's pen Thursday shortly before 4 p.m. A bloody towel in which it had been wrapped was nearby, authorities said.
    The Orleans Parish coroner's office, which conducted the autopsy, is awaiting the results of DNA tests to determine the gender and race of the baby, and whether the baby was carried to full term. The autopsy also was inconclusive about the baby's weight.
    Detectives don't know how the baby came to be near the dog's cage.
    The dog's kennel gate was open and the baby's body was just within the chained dog's reach. Yoes said the dog's role in the baby's death has not been determined.
    Midnight, a mixed-breed Labrador retriever, is being held at the St. Charles Parish Animal Shelter pending the completion of the investigation
    Lead from the front and always remember those who came first.

Capt. Ocativo "OX" Gonzalez
    EOW 6/16/06

Always remember that a casket is hotter than your vest.

Quote Originally Posted by conalabu View Post
    Soon the whole world will be in the hands of the Swamp Mafia.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    This may sound bad, but I hope the dog was framed.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

CW Mock is offline Trooper
    Verified LEO
    I know.

If mom had anything to do with it, put a .45 up to her temple and reeducate her on parenting the right way, and save the rest of us the costs.

God bless that child.
    "I have an open door policy on tickets ... if I have to open my door, you are getting a ticket. If I turn on those lights, somebody has to pay the electric bill."

The opinions given in my posts and comments
    DO NOT reflect any of the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "CW Mock" on LEF/Officer Resource.

Shoestring is offline Please dont check the trunk...
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor

Angry

how can someone do such a thing to a harmless innocent creature such as an infant

I am sure the dog probably did not have anything to do with the death, especially if the dog was chained.

The person that did this needs be put to death

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Absolutely! what goes around comes around. The child never had a chance. I fully believe that there is a special place in hell for those that commit this sort of crime. God and his angels will care for this little one now.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Doc_Holliday is offline California Dreaming...
    the dog is innocent by definition! The kid still had the umbilical cord, no way the dog managed to dig the baby out of the "mother". That dog was clearly framed. Sad for all involved, except the sunofa who killed that innocent baby
    500 fights, that's the number I figured when I was a kid. 500 street fights and you could consider yourself a legitimate tough guy. You need them for experience. To develop leather skin. So I got started. Of course along the way you stop thinking about being tough and all that. It stops being the point. You get past the silliness of it all. But then, after, you realize that's what you are.

Shoestring is offline Please dont check the trunk...
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    Okay, I have been cruising around tonight and this one really bothers me, cant get it out of my head.

Do people not realize that if they dont want the baby when its born they can hand it over to LEO/Hospital etc. no questions asked. What the hell is the fricking problem here people.

Sick, absoFRICKINluty one of the worst crimes crimes ever heard of.

The person has the right to a fair and speedy trial, and if they are convicted beyond a reasonable doubt, they need a god damn speedy trip to hell!

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoestring View Post
    Okay, I have been cruising around tonight and this one really bothers me, cant get it out of my head.

Do people not realize that if they dont want the baby when its born they can hand it over to LEO/Hospital etc. no questions asked. What the hell is the fricking problem here people.

It seems like the easier you make it for people to walk away from their responsibility, the more inclined they are to even more vile ways to avoid them altogether.
    RIP sweet babe
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Twan007 is offline The People
    Verified LEO
    I'm hearing about this way too damn often lately...

Ya'll know I've got a soft spot for kids, and this breaks my heart...

rest in peace little one - and know comfort - because apparently you wouldn't have known any from your parents

may God take you under his arm and show you the love you deserve... and may those who hurt you have a slow death and rot in hell...
    -=Twan007

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in alignment with his employer. Matter of fact, the poster will deny any knowledge of any post... this message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...

mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO
    The mother admits to giving birth ,at the house ,by herself,she claimed the baby cried twice,than shut up so she thought it was dead,went out and buried it.Supposedly no one else in the house knew she was pregnant.The father of the infant is the one who found him.

Verified LEO
    =/ just because a baby's quiet it's dead... shit, my little girl's been dead since she was born...

not a good enough bullshit reason for me...
    -=Twan007

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in alignment with his employer. Matter of fact, the poster will deny any knowledge of any post... this message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...

PapaBear is offline SgtCHP-Retired
    Post-Partum Depression! That will undoubtedly be the defense. WTF kind of society have we nurtured and created? God bless that infant.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.
    [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Verified LEO
    +1... ya know they make pills for that now...
    -=Twan007

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Twan007 View Post
    I'm hearing about this way too damn often lately...

Ya'll know I've got a soft spot for kids, and this breaks my heart...

rest in peace little one - and know comfort - because apparently you wouldn't have known any from your parents

may God take you under his arm and show you the love you deserve... and may those who hurt you have a slow death and rot in hell...
    +1

CW Mock is offline Trooper
    Verified LEO
    I still say somebody should screw a .45 into her ear and reeducate her on parenting. It would open her mind up to new possibilities.
    "I have an open door policy on tickets ... if I have to open my door, you are getting a ticket. If I turn on those lights, somebody has to pay the electric bill."

The opinions given in my posts and comments
    DO NOT reflect any of the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "CW Mock" on LEF/Officer Resource.

Doc_Holliday is offline California Dreaming...
    Quote Originally Posted by CW Mock View Post
    I still say somebody should screw a .45 into her ear and reeducate her on parenting. It would open her mind up to new possibilities.
    Double tap...she is in line for the advanced program
    500 fights, that's the number I figured when I was a kid. 500 street fights and you could consider yourself a legitimate tough guy. You need them for experience. To develop leather skin. So I got started. Of course along the way you stop thinking about being tough and all that. It stops being the point. You get past the silliness of it all. But then, after, you realize that's what you are.

LawnMM is offline Oppressor of Crackheads
    Anybody see Freedomland with Sam Jackson? I had no idea how common this is. Choose whatever corny excuse you want, when a newborn baby winds up dead or missing its very often because one or both of the parents had a hand in its death. The world we live in =/

JAYBIRD33081 is offline CAT: THE OTHER WHITE MEAT
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    wtf is wrong with some ppl its a baby a totaly innocent baby how can some ppl just throw that away like that. even death is to easy a punishment for these scum bags that did this.

Thread Information