Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Star Man is offline Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
    Verified LEO

Sorry, you’re too fat to eat here

Sorry, you’re too fat to eat here
    Miss. bill would ban restaurants from serving obese customers

The Associated Press
    updated 4:00 p.m. ET, Mon., Feb. 4, 2008

JACKSON, Miss. - A state lawmaker wants to ban restaurants from serving food to obese customers — but please, don’t be offended.
    He says he never even expected his plan to become law.
    “I was trying to shed a little light on the number one problem in Mississippi,” said Republican Rep. John Read of Gautier, who acknowledges that at 5-foot-11 and 230 pounds, he’d probably have a tough time under his own bill.
    More than 30 percent of adults in Mississippi are considered it obese, according to a 2007 study by the Trust for America’s Health, a research group that focuses on disease prevention.
    The state House Public Health Committee chairman, Democrat Steve Holland of Plantersville, said he is going to “shred” the bill.
    “It is too oppressive for government to require a restaurant owner to police another human being from their own indiscretions,” Holland said Monday.
    The bill had no specifics about how obesity would be defined, or how restaurants were supposed to determine if a customer was obese.
    Al Stamps, who owns a restaurant in Jackson, said it is “absurd” for the state to consider telling him which customers he can’t serve. He and his wife, Kim, do a bustling lunch business at Cool Al’s, which serves big burgers — beef or veggie — and specialty foods like “Sassy Momma Sweet Potato Fries.”
    “There is a better way to deal with health issues than to impose those kind of regulations,” Al Stamps said. “I’m sorry — you can’t do it by treating adults like children and telling them what they can and cannot eat.”
    © 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
    URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22997073...5773?gt1=10914

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Well, I'd say he drew attention to the problem. Maybe not the way he intended though.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    They'd only ever serve tourists then.
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

Terminator is offline BANNED
    The government telling people they are too fat to eat is another example of them overstepping there authority.

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan 42 View Post
    They'd only ever serve tourists then.
    Tourist don't taste as good as homegrown

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

JAYBIRD33081 is offline CAT: THE OTHER WHITE MEAT
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    wow is that for real? lol the gov is way outa bounds on this.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Star Man View Post
    He says he never even expected his plan to become law.
    “I was trying to shed a little light on the number one problem in Mississippi,” said Republican Rep. John Read of Gautier, who acknowledges that at 5-foot-11 and 230 pounds, he’d probably have a tough time under his own bill.
    It was just a joke.

Kind of like educational humor.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

CW Mock is offline Trooper
    Verified LEO
    Out of bounds yes. Way out of bounds.

Just wish it would get some of those porkers thinking about sucking down a salad instead of a double greasebomber with cheese and fries for a change.

Our insurance rates go up because of obese people, and smokers. There IS a difference between being a little heavy, and a disgusting, overblown stunt double for Jabba the Hutt. I know losing weight is HARD ... but damn, some people don't care or try, and expect us to feel bad.

Side rant - Take for instance giving fatty a Handicap card so he/she can park close to the store. Fatty should be made to park the furthest AWAY so they can work off some pounds. SOB this topic makes me mad ...

But, back on track - no, the government has no business tell people they are too fat to eat in restaurants. If the restaurant does it, then that's another story.
    "I have an open door policy on tickets ... if I have to open my door, you are getting a ticket. If I turn on those lights, somebody has to pay the electric bill."

The opinions given in my posts and comments
    DO NOT reflect any of the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "CW Mock" on LEF/Officer Resource.

CT209 is offline Once..... Forever
    Verified LEO
    There is suppose to be a European country that outlawed the wearing of spandex by hugemongous fat people (good idea in my opinion ). What's another law outlawing fat folks from eating fatty food?

Seriously, anytime the government attempts to pass laws that infringe on, or try to control, personal responibility, it fails. Good attempt to shine a light on an existing problem, but I'm sure it didn't work out the way he wanted.
    "When a crime is committed, liberals blame society. Conservatives blame the criminal." -Debra Saunders

Old Scottish Motto- "nemo me impune laccessit". It still holds true today.

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Pretty crazy. It'd be a wake up call to many people though, that's for sure...
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

Thread Information