Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

2 cops fired after having heart attacks

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/loc...,6999998.story

Davie officer says he was fired after debilitating heart attack

By Susannah Bryan | South Florida Sun-Sentinel
    January 30, 2008

DAVIE - For 12 years, Mike Necolettos put his life on the line.

As a Davie police officer promoted to sergeant six years ago, he arrested drunks, nabbed burglars, responded to violent accidents and twice ducked bullets.

Now the married father of three sits home battling high blood pressure and feeling betrayed by the town he spent more than a decade serving. Necolettos, 37, accuses Davie of illegally firing him.

A good cop by all accounts, Necolettos says he lost his job Jan. 9 because of a heart attack he had while on duty in May.

"I was a cop all these years," Necolettos said last week from his home in Davie. "You give your all and then you're fired."

Davie also fired Lt. Greg Mize the same day. Like Necolettos, Mize had been unable to return to work after suffering multiple heart attacks, said his attorney, Andrea Wolfson. The town sent both officers letters dated Jan. 3 terminating them because they could no longer perform their jobs and needed to be replaced.

Both letters, signed by then-Human Resources Director Mark Alan, thank the officers for their service and cite "exemplary" personnel records.

Mize, 47, had worked for the town 21 years.

Town spokesman Braulio Rosa declined to comment, citing privacy laws.

Florida law presumes police officers and firefighters with heart disease got it from on-the-job stress. The law requires cities and counties to pay workers' comp and retirement benefits to officers and firefighters with heart-related illnesses.

The town violated that state law as well as workers' comp statutes when it fired Necolettos, said his attorney, Robert Winess, of West Palm Beach.

"They fired him saying he could not perform his job," Winess said. "But the whole reason he can't is because of this work-related heart attack."

When he became a police officer at 24, Necolettos said, his heart worked just fine. He can prove it: He passed a physical before he was hired.

At the time of his heart attack on May 3, Necolettos was working the graveyard shift patrolling in his cruiser. Around midnight he had trouble breathing, called for help and pulled over. Fellow officers found him slumped behind the wheel.

"It's horrible," Necolettos said of being fired. "It's the worst emotional problem you can imagine. It's not like I shot or killed or beat somebody. I went to work and did my job and had a heart attack."

The town's treatment of Necolettos is unusual, said David Murrell, executive director of the Florida Police Benevolent Association, adding that most police officers in his situation are given time to apply for disability pensions rather than being fired and left to fend for themselves with no health insurance or workers' comp benefits.

"Sounds like Davie is taking a hard line," he said. "Some agencies are more compassionate than others."

Necolettos has filed a grievance with the town, claiming he was wrongfully terminated. His attorney predicts the matter will be settled in court.

Necolettos, whose salary was $83,000, frets over how he'll support his family and what he'll do when his health insurance ends on Thursday. He can't afford $1,600 a month for COBRA and a decision on his disability pension is months away.

In the meantime, the stress of losing his job has not exactly helped his blood pressure, he said. "It's been 180 over 120."

Susannah Bryan can be reached at sbryan@sun- sentinel.com or 954-385-7929.
    "never bring paws to a gunfight" - Jenna

Ender is offline Three Sheets...
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    nothing like loyalty to your people...
    --

Ender

"And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon..."

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Loyalty to your people is getting rare, from personal experience.

In Washington, he would go out line of duty disability - but even that is a royal screwing for todays officers.

If you were hired under the old program, they took care of you - but most of those guys are retired already.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Complete bullshit - I hope the officers can sue their Department's ass under Federal law, if not State law (assuming that was really the reason they were fired).

The Department could have put them on restricted duty or something and still paid them the same - Since they would have replaced an hourly employee, no big expense there. But now they may have a HUGE expense paying their lawyers, even if the courts rule in their favor

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

k2.rocky is offline Officer First Class
    ChachachaCHING!!! I'd sue the hell out of that city/town/whatever. That's some crap, being a faithful employee for 21 years and getting fired through the mail!!!!!!!!! WTF!!!
    "When you stop learning, you deny yourself the opportunity to grow." ~TDSA Tulsa~
    www.tdsatulsa.com

"Anyone who gets in a fair fight…..has no tactical skills"

"We're entirely surrounded, those poor bastards. They've got us right where we want 'em. We can shoot in every direction now." ~General Chesty Puller~

"I firmly believe that you live and learn, and if you don't learn from past mistakes, then you need to be drug out and shot." ~R. Lee Ermy~

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Fired after 21 years. Looks like they are trying to get them out before the 25 years retirement. Good thing I am vested after 20.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    That stinks. You'd think after putting all that time in for the department that they'd be able to find something for him. Sad...
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

dogbite1 is offline Jaws with Paws Enforcing Laws!!!
    I work in Florida and this is becoming a common problem with the agencies down here. When you are hurt on duty, the charge you FMLA along with your workers comp. This way they can use the time up together and get you out faster. They also look at it as they are paying you, an experienced officer more then they can hire a new officer at a much lower expense. With tight budgets these last few years, it is a way to save money without actually getting rid of people with no cause. It is pretty messed up here. If you are on the state retirement system, then you are vested after 6 years, but city workers are on a different pension system.
    To all, Be safe, watch your ass, cover your 6 and not just from the bad guys, and remember to be the sheep dog and not the sheep, (They more often then not get screwed in the end)

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    This just isn't right. You guys spend all your time serving the public and then get shafted like this? Unreal!

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    Davie...
    LMAO....
    figures it would be them

fucking crooked as crooked gets
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

Growler is offline I is not happy
    Verified LEO
    holy crap. that's what they get for all their years of service. and it probably was the friggin job that let them to be prone to heart attacks!!

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    Quote Originally Posted by Growler View Post
    holy crap. that's what they get for all their years of service. and it probably was the friggin job that let them to be prone to heart attacks!!

growler... your avatar just aint right
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

Just KC is offline Who?......Me?
    ROFL Growler! Your avatar.....i have seen that pic before...makes my husband puke everytime!
    ~Karie

"I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

Thread Information