Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

ACLU suing State of Indiana to prevent the revocation of driver's licenses. ACLU claims "you're entitled to have a driver's license..."

INDIANAPOLIS -- The American Civil Liberties Union is suing the state to prevent the possible revocation of up to 56,000 driver's licenses that don't match information in a Social Security database.

Many of the mismatches were created by typographical errors or by people getting married and changing their last names, the Bureau of Motor Vehicles said last week when it announced it had sent warning letters to about 206,000 people in Indiana.

Many of the cases already have been resolved, but the ACLU of Indiana filed suit Friday in Marion Superior Court and plans to seek an injunction to make sure no licenses are revoked without hearings, the group's legal director said.

"What the BMV is doing is taking legally an entitlement from thousands of people," the ACLU's Ken Falk said. "You're entitled to have a driver's license and the state can't come and take it away from you."

Falk said that state law and the Indiana Constitution do not permit the BMV to revoke licenses when records don't match.

BMV spokesman Dennis Rosebrough, however, said the bureau is on solid legal ground.

"Our legal staff has been involved as we've put together the whole online verification program," he said. "Indiana law clearly states that people holding Indiana driver's licenses and ID cards must have a Social Security number, with a few exceptions. That's Indiana law; that's not an administrative rule established by the bureau."

Last week, Rosebrough said the BMV started verifying the license and ID information in November by checking more than 6 million records. About 82,000 people verified their information, and another 33,000 cases were otherwise resolved.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    They are tilting against windmills.

This issue has already been ruled on elsewhere.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Next thing the aclu is going to say is that we have the right to vote in the Presidential election. What the hell are they thinking?

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I grew up with the idea that driving is a privilege, NOT a right, and if you screw up, the privilege can be revoked. If you don't have your information correct (stolen identity, anyone?) then yeah, the BMV can yank your license. They've sent letters out, and people with a legitimate clerical errors should be able to clear it up with a phone call. NO problem.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Resident Smart Ass is offline I ASK THE QUESTIONS AROUND HERE
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    I grew up with the idea that driving is a privilege, NOT a right, and if you screw up, the privilege can be revoked. If you don't have your information correct (stolen identity, anyone?) then yeah, the BMV can yank your license. They've sent letters out, and people with a legitimate clerical errors should be able to clear it up with a phone call. NO problem.

100% agreed! most people seem to forget, especially the drunk and reckless assholes!
    Don't you just hate it when someone's balls are hidden so well, they can't seem to find it themselves ~ RSA

You can't avoid gossip & rude words from
    people. You can't please everybody. But remember, they wouldn't bother if you meant nothing.

FOLLOW RSA ON TWITTER (IF YOU'RE GOING TO FOLLOW ME, PLEASE SEND ME A MESSAGE ON HERE WITH YOUR O/R USERNAME AND TWEET USERNAME SO I'LL KNOW WHO I'M ACCEPTING OTHERWISE YOU WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!)
    https://twitter.com/RESIDENTSMARTAS

A PINT OF SWEAT SAVES A GALLON OF BLOOD ~ PATTON

UH_OH_5_OH is offline I get PAID to do this?
    Trapped in ILLINOIS...and hoping for parole !
    AMEN to that !!! It's a PRIVILEDGE......not a RIGHT !
    Never Search Alone !
    In memory of Captain Robbie Bishop
    www.ncea314.com

*Can someone explain to me why the heck I should have to Press 1 for ENGLISH ???

Doc_Holliday is offline California Dreaming...
    can I sue the ACLU for being a complete and utter waste of time, money and for working their hardest to protect the lowest of the low??
    500 fights, that's the number I figured when I was a kid. 500 street fights and you could consider yourself a legitimate tough guy. You need them for experience. To develop leather skin. So I got started. Of course along the way you stop thinking about being tough and all that. It stops being the point. You get past the silliness of it all. But then, after, you realize that's what you are.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I'll get behind the ACLU when they start supporting ALL rights, rather than just the ones they like.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    ACLU Lawyers are a waste of skin

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

dogbite1 is offline Jaws with Paws Enforcing Laws!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Resident Smart Ass View Post
    100% agreed! most people seem to forget, especially the drunk and reckless assholes!

+1 to RSA and Ducky
    To all, Be safe, watch your ass, cover your 6 and not just from the bad guys, and remember to be the sheep dog and not the sheep, (They more often then not get screwed in the end)

Thread Information