Illiy is offline Corporal

Police Swabbing Mouths During Traffic Stops In Serial Killer Hunt

Police Swabbing Mouths During Traffic Stops In Serial Killer Hunt

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- Police officers in Daytona Beach are swabbing
    the mouths of persons of interests during traffic stops with special
    DNA kits in the hunt for an elusive serial killer, sources close to
    the investigation told Local 6.

Investigators said they believe the same man has killed four women
    execution style in the Daytona Beach area.

A profiler said the serial killer is likely clean cut and probably
    has a wife or girlfriend.

And, the Daytona Beach police Chief, Mike Chitwood, said detectives
    have the killer's DNA.

"Genetically, we know who he is," Chitwood said. "We have DNA
    evidence from the murder scenes -- so, we got that. That is never
    going to go away. And, sooner or later, we will match the DNA to the
    physical person and bring closure to everything that is going on."

Agents are using the DNA kits to collect as much DNA as possible
    during traffic stops and special operations in hopes on making a
    match.

Local 6 showed agents stopping a person of interest from Canada, who
    gave his DNA to officers on the street using the DNA kit.

The DNA kits are also being used in prostitution stings in the area.

Chitwood said over time, modern technology will lead to the killer.

"I can tell you that we are working really, really hard," Chitwood
    said. "I can tell you that there are a lot of things going on behind
    the scenes."

Anyone with information concerning the deaths is urged to call a new
    serial killer hotline at 888-619-5734.
    FIGHT ON!

Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    When my kind come to rule this planet your name shall be put on a list, a protected list, and no harm shall come to you.

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I'm not sure how I feel about this....
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I have heard that they can now find a persons hair and eye color and ethnic group from a DNA sample. Nice.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Tgace334 is offline illegitimus non carborundum
    Quote Originally Posted by 121Traffic View Post
    I'm not sure how I feel about this....
    Id have to say the same here.

Im assuming its on a voluntary basis?

Lazy Fed is offline Curmudgeon
    Hmmm.....

I am not liking that to much..... Don't get me wrong I am all about catching the perps, but I mean.......
    dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

Quote Originally Posted by Resident Smart Ass
    Life is to short not to experience Lazy Fed
    ___ ___ ___
    {o,o} {-.-} {0,0}
    |)__) |)_(| (__(|
    -"-"- -"-"- -"-"-
    O RLY?? YA RLY NO WAI!!!!

The incoherent statements given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency or any other person for that matter. They are MY PERSONAL DELUSIONAL FANTASIES and I accept sole responsibility as such as I am either drunk or stressed out of my mind.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    I think the DNA swabs should be limited to convicted felons, or maybe those convicted of any jailable offense.

Do they even require felons to submit to that now?

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Well, I imagine that this is a borderline future supreme court case.

But I guess I'm going to have to say I have no problem with it. As long as it doesn't cause some undo hardship on the person stopped, innocent people shouldn't be offended, because the police are trying to find this killer FOR THEM. (You're welcome)

And if this tactic does eventually catch the killer, who cares that it may or may not be constitutional. He's killed 4 people, I don't care how they catch him. And niether should the courts.

Of course, I do my job the way the courts, training, policy, and my boss tell me to. But I think some of it is complete and total bullshit at the same time.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

JAYBIRD33081 is offline CAT: THE OTHER WHITE MEAT
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    this had to be voluntary i cant imagine the police making ppl give up there dna.

Ender is offline Three Sheets...
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Tgace334 View Post

Im assuming its on a voluntary basis?
    the other article i read said it was voluntary.

but you know how much we can trust news articles, one way or the other....
    --

Ender

"And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon..."

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    If it's voluntary, do you think a Serial Killer would be dumb enough to submit to it?

Bui I do suppose that his FAMILY might submit to it, since they're probably clueless that they have a serial killer in their family.

That might be enough if the tests uncover a genetic similarity with someone, because I guess that might lead them to the relative who did it.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Terminator is offline BANNED
    I'm not surprised Mike Chitwood is involved in this. Mike is the new Chief for Daytona Beach PD. He was Portland, Maine's Chief forever and a day. I was a cop in Maine before I moved to NC. Mike was called "Media Mike" by his subordinates. They didn't like him, and he was a media hog.

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    if it isnt mandatory/volunteering then that is up to the individual to give their dna at that time...
    personally if i was stopped and someone said- give me your dna - i would give them the card to my attorney and say go through those channels... having nothing to hide of course- but i dont want to open the door further to the borderline violations of my own privacy.. if they want to follow me and hunt me down till i drink and dispose of a water bottle then fine .. do that lol... but i dont like the idea of stopping me while i am going about my own fucking business and asking for dna... give me the ticket...and let me finish my grocery shopping.
    this could be a very topsy turvey thing in my opinion.
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

Ender is offline Three Sheets...
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by gozling View Post
    this could be a very topsy turvey thing in my opinion.
    agreed. I don't like it in principle, but it is (apparently) not a requirement, just a request.

I've always believed that people have rights, but have the responsibility to understand them. I'd say absolutely not in a heartbeat and do just about what you said in your post.
    --

Ender

"And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon..."

Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074
    But I guess I'm going to have to say I have no problem with it. As long as it doesn't cause some undo hardship on the person stopped, innocent people shouldn't be offended, because the police are trying to find this killer FOR THEM. (You're welcome)
    Such arguments sound good until you REALLY start to think about them from a citizen's standpoint rather than an LEO standpoint. I'm an American citizen first, cop second. The citizen in me agrees with the cop in me when it says any cop that makes me do something that isn't voluntary better have a good fucking reason for doing so. If they're patting me down, it better be because they see a noticeable bulge, etc. If not, the cop in me is pissed that someone isn'tdoing their job within professional standards. The citizen me isn't feeling offended as opposed to violated. Undue hardship? To me, having my mouth swabbed against my will IS undo hardship! Itís not about being offended. Itís about my fourth amendment right that supposedly protects me from unwarranted search or seizure.

Collecting DNA is a slippery slope even when you're talking about arrestees. Let it be known that I have NO problem collecting DNA from folks who come into the correctional system, with some conditions--mainly that the DNA record is destroyed if the defendent is eventually found Not Guilty. Generally, they made the choice to be a shithead and get arrested. Face the consequences, and one of those is coming to be letting someone swab the inside of your cheek with a QTip.

The Supreme Court, however, has already ruled that a traffic stop does NOT constitute the same thing as a reasonable suspicion detainment, and questions asked during a traffic stop do NOT constitute custodial interrogation. How then can we expect people to have to submit to oepning their mouths and having a stranger, LEO or not, swab their body just because they happened to be caught with a taillight out AND they happen to resemble a wanted suspect? That's a slippery slope that even I, as a sworn LEO, do not want to tread. I do want to do everything in my power to catch murderers, but I don't believe in making honest people surrender their constitutional rights in order to do so. Do I think that in some situations (very few in local/state LE, more in the federal/terrorist arena) that the safety of society at large outweighs the "rights" of some shithead that we have reason to believe placed a dirty bomb? Yes. Do I think that line should be treaded at the local level? No. Do I think it's fair to put local officers in a position wherein they have to violate someone's constitutional rights? Hell no. I don't want to ever be in the position where I can't articulate that the ground I tread is legal and will hold up to constitutional scrutiny.

The constitution should be the Bible that LE bases it's principles and tactics upon. But when we start violating our principles in order to catch admittedly very, very evil people, we find ourselves in the unfortunate position of being hypocrites who stand for nothing. The Supreme Court agrees with me on that, as evidenced by the shaky convictions they've struck down over the years. Do I agree with all the decisions? No. Are there more than a few cases where, rather than blaming the courts for overturning the decision, I blame the cops for being stupid and cutting corners? Absolutely.

Bottom line, I would hate to catch the guy with DNA, then have him walk free because the collection of that evidence was found to be in violation of the Fourth Amendment. I probably wouldn't blame thecourts. I consider that a failure on my part to perform my job within the accepted guidelines of the Bill of Rights.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Another thing that we should consider here. DNA, unless we have exigency, etc. usually requires a court order when you're talking about a suspect (as opposed to an arrestee booked into jail). Let's say that everyone they WANTED DNA from, they got contact infomation and sent on their way. What would a judge say if you showed up with all these contact cards and said "I want these peoples' DNA...warrants please." The judge would ask why, and you tell him that they committed a traffic infraction and they match the description of a murder suspect. A judge would probably tell you to pound sand.

k-9max is offline K9 Officer
    Verified LEO
    Ok, i can see what they are trying to do, however, what happens when joe public gives a mouth swab, then the department puts the DNA sample into the computer database, (i assume this is what they are doing), and they come up with a match to a cold case, or a case of other sort, say murder, rape, ext......
    Dont get me wrong here, im all about catching the bad guy, but doing it the right way.
    I think there is other ways around this besides DNA swabs on traffic stops.
    YEAH, IM THE BERRIES, AND CHERRIES IN YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    Eat it, Play with it, or piss on it, and walk away!

As smart as man is, we haven't been able to invent a machine that can smell drugs or tell us where a person has walked,Ē Dogs are sophisticated investigative tools!

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    Well...this tactic worked in England some years ago. In that case they took blood (even more intrusive) from everyone in town. The killer paid someone to go in posing as him and give a sample. When the cops found out about it, they leaned on the substitute and he gave up the serial killer. It was completely voluntary but think about an entire town agreeing to be tested. They really wanted that freak and they got him...although not quite the way they thought.

That kind of public spirit is getting hard to find in this country....even when the payoff is catching a serial killer.

I once had a supervisor who asked if you would commit a burglary to catch a burglar. It was a rhetorical question but the idea was....what are you willing to do to catch the bad guy. Food for thought in a time when so much is being asked of police and so little is given in the way of help.

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by Car 4 View Post

I once had a supervisor who asked if you would commit a burglary to catch a burglar. It was a rhetorical question but the idea was....what are you willing to do to catch the bad guy. Food for thought in a time when so much is being asked of police and so little is given in the way of help.

Car 4

my thoughts here... once a crook like this- always one and eventually they are catchable within the boundaries of an investigation - though it may take time.
    i was never willing to x the lines of my ethics to catch anyone
    i can see how some would want to with so many frustrations out there.

We dallied under
    But instead
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    I never crossed the line either but I did investigate close to it a time or two.

Your point is well taken Gozling...but I would offer that there would be no need for Cold Case Teams if justice always got it's man.
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by Car 4 View Post
    I never crossed the line either but I did investigate close to it a time or two.

Your point is well taken Gozling...but I would offer that there would be no need for Cold Case Teams if justice always got it's man.
    the neat thing about cold case teams is just that... back then there wasnt the technology to deal with crimes like there is now... time catches up with everyone and that is where the cold case guys come into play i think...
    its almost like a Karma squad... at least that was what i called my friend JJ at the station who was on that squad lol...

I think i am that little girl sometimes that always thinks things will be found out- like crossing the line just a little to gain evidence-- only to have it somehow found out and then the fucker walks out of the court room laughing as he passes me like some awful movie.. and thus.. Karma kicked me in the ass instead...

or maybe it was just the nuns in catholic school... lol

We dallied under
    But instead
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage