Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Just KC is offline Who?......Me?

Northern Ill Univ shooting

I have CNN on and there has been a shooting at the University. Only thing I know is 2 dead...and the shooter is dead.
    What the hell is wrong with these kids???????

Here in CA a 14yr old shot and killed another 14yr old in English class 2 days ago. Just the other day I was in my sons school talking to the principle because some kid has been bullying my child and making threats to kick his *ss after class. The kid got suspended...and i worry about this kid retaliating. I hear this kid has many problems at school and at home.

Is a gun the only way kids can handle their problems/troubles anymore???
    ~Karie

"I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    DEKALB, Ill. - DeKalb Police say a gunman who opened fired at Northern Illinois University is dead. Authorities say the gunman started shooting in a lecture hall on Thursday, injuring as many as 15 people as students frantically scrambled over desks for cover.
    Kishwaukee Community Hospital said on its Web site up to 15 victims were arriving, including three to four with head wounds.
    The shooting took place around 3 p.m. in Cole Hall near the King Commons, a central gathering place on the 25,000-student campus, according to the Web site.
    DeKalb is located about 65 miles west of Chicago.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080214/...s/niu_shooting
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Just KC is offline Who?......Me?
    He killed 5 before taking his own life.
    Just makes no sense.
    ~Karie

"I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    It isn't supposed to make sense, except in their head.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Coloradocop is offline It's the PoPo
    Verified LEO
    Interesting, CNN is reporting that this was a "normal" kid with no problems, no history of mental illness, and no arrest record.

But, in the same story they mention that the shooter had become increasing erratic after he stopped "taking his medication".

I don't know about you guys, but this sure is a big red flag that screams MENTAL ILLNESS to me!

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    May the victims rest in peace.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Coloradocop View Post
    Interesting, CNN is reporting that this was a "normal" kid with no problems, no history of mental illness, and no arrest record.

But, in the same story they mention that the shooter had become increasing erratic after he stopped "taking his medication".

I don't know about you guys, but this sure is a big red flag that screams MENTAL ILLNESS to me!
    That, or a variation is said after every single school shooting. Read The Gift of Fear by Gavin DeBecker and you'll see that many of these can be predicted before they happen.

In addition to that the news media needs to stop portraying these shooters as martyrs or "trouble kids". They need to slap a big picture of them on the screen with "COWARD" or "PUSSY BITCH" or something written right across the kids forehead.

The school shootings will dramatically decrease.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    That, or a variation is said after every single school shooting. Read The Gift of Fear by Gavin DeBecker and you'll see that many of these can be predicted before they happen.
    What can be done if someone seems likely to become a shooter, but hasn't actually committed any crimes yet?

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    What can be done if someone seems likely to become a shooter, but hasn't actually committed any crimes yet?
    Ask the ACLU... I'm sure they have a number of wonderful suggestions.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

ohionarc is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    In addition to that the news media needs to stop portraying these shooters as martyrs or "trouble kids". They need to slap a big picture of them on the screen with "COWARD" or "PUSSY BITCH" or something written right across the kids forehead.

The school shootings will dramatically decrease.
    AMEN To that.... I beleive the media definately adds to the problem, in somehow telling what they think is newsworthy background on the shooter....giving the impression that they will finally get noteriety they long for.

OhioNarc

TheBigO
    Somewhere in Ohio

"There will be no peace until they (terrorist) love their children more than they hate ours"

The opinions represented here are mine, they are not intended to in anyway represent my agency.....

Coloradocop is offline It's the PoPo
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Well, despite initial media reports, it appears as if the guy in this case has also had some serious issues. I read through a few articles this morning, and found a couple of interesting facts:

1) He had a job, allegedly as a corrections officer, which he "mysteriously" disappeared from one day in the not too distant past

2) He was very briefly in the military, before being discharged after a few months for an "unspecified reason" (ie: the media doesn't yet know why)

3) THE BEST ONE: "Steven Kazmierczak spent about a year in a Chicago psychiatric center after high school".

Doesn't sound like something "normal people" do to me... Plus, it would have made him inelligible for a firearm in IL, at least based on what I've read of the laws there (I am NOT from IL, so someone from there can better comment on the specifics of firearms ownership there. Sounds like it might be an "unchecked" requirement now, but will be checked soon: http://www.wjbc.com/wire2/news/13611...web_072653.htm)

I hear you... That's the same thing I was saying after the last shooting. Time to show these guys for what they are, while at the same time sending subtle messages to others who might try such things!

Deputy Joe is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    It sounds like another wack job that should be in some hospital somewhere, not integrated into society. Those poor kids.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080217/...u_shooting_157

Gunman's contradictions confound police--By ASHLEY M. HEHER and CARYN ROUSSEAU, Associated Press Writers 2 hours, 17 minutes ago

DEKALB, Ill. -Steven Kazmierczak had the look of a boyish graduate student except for the disturbing tattoos that covered his arms.

Professors and students knew him as a bright, helpful scholar, but his past included a stint in a mental health center.

Many saw him as happy and stable, but he had developed a recent interest in guns and was involved in a troubled possibly abusive on-again, off-again relationship.

What people initially told police about the Northern Illinois University shooter didn't add up, and now investigators are searching for answers to what triggered Thursday's bloody attack, in which five students were killed and several more injured before Kazmierczak committed suicide.

While searching for a motive, authorities questioned family and friends and tried to determine whether he had recently broken up with his longtime girlfriend.

One person who knew the couple, who spoke to The Associated Press on the condition of anonymity, said the couple's relationship was on-again, off-again and "really rocky." Kazmierczak was controlling, she said.

"He was abusive, had a temper," she said. "He didn't actually hit her; he would push her around."

The 27-year-old Kazmierczak also had a history of mental illness and had become erratic in the past two weeks after he stopped taking his medication, said university Police Chief Donald Grady.

A former employee at a Chicago psychiatric treatment center said Kazmierczak had been placed there after high school by his parents. He used to cut himself and had resisted taking his medications, she said.

Kazmierczak spent more than a year at the Thresholds-Mary Hill House in the late 1990s, former house manager Louise Gbadamashi told The Associated Press. His parents placed him there after high school because he had become "unruly" at home, she said.

Gbadamashi couldn't remember any instances of him being violent, she said.

"He never wanted to identify with being mentally ill," she said. "That was part of the problem."

Jason Dunavan, a tattoo artist in Champaign, said he spent hours as recently as last month creating tattoos for Kazmierczak. His work included an image of the macabre doll from the horror movie "Saw" riding a tricycle through a pool of blood with images of several bleeding cuts in the background.

Dunavan said he was so proud of the tattoo that he enlarged a photo of it and placed it on a wall in his shop a move he is now rethinking.

"I don't know if I still want that picture on my wall," said Dunavan, who also described Kazmierczak as timid and apologetic.

"He was really, really mousy."

On Friday, police went through belongings Kazmierczak left at a DeKalb motel in search of clues.

Kazmierczak paid cash for his room at the Travelodge three days before the shootings, signing his name only as "Steven" on a slip of paper, according to the hotel manager. Items later found in his room included empty cartons of cigarettes and discarded containers of energy drinks and cold medicine. The refrigerator was stocked with more energy drinks.

Authorities found a duffel bag, with the zippers glued shut, that Kazmierczak had left in the room, said Lt. Gary Spangler of the DeKalb Police Department. A bomb squad safely opened the bag Friday, Spangler said.

He would not comment on what was found in the bag. The Chicago Tribune, citing law enforcement sources, reported that investigators found ammunition inside.

Kazmierczak also left behind a laptop computer, which was seized by investigators, said Jay Patel, manager at the Travelodge.

The discoveries added to the puzzles surrounding Kazmierczak, a graduate student who had once studied at Northern Illinois University but transferred to the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.

He also had a short-lived stint as a prison guard that ended abruptly when he didn't show up for work. He was in the Army for about six months in 2001-02, but he told a friend he'd gotten a psychological discharge.

Those who knew him were baffled by the attacks, in which Kazmierczak stepped from behind a screen on the lecture hall's stage and opened fire on a geology class.

Jim Thomas, an emeritus professor of sociology and criminology at NIU who taught Kazmierczak, insisted there was no indication of trouble between Kazmierczak and his girlfriend.

"I do know they loved each other very much," Thomas said. "He felt extremely close to her. ... To my knowledge, I saw no indication of abuse."

Kazmierczak's godfather, Richard Grafer, said Saturday that his godson was in good spirits when they spoke Tuesday about playing chess sometime soon.

Kazmierczak told his godfather he would call him again Saturday. "He seemed fine, great. We were laughing and talking and telling jokes," said Grafer, who added that he knew nothing about Kazmierczak being on or off medication.

Kristen Myers, an associate professor of sociology who knew Kazmierczak, also said he didn't fit the image of a loner or outcast.

"Profiling would not have worked with Steve. People would let him into their home," she said. "People feel so bad that we didn't know he was suffering like this."

On Feb. 9, Kazmierczak walked into a Champaign gun store and picked up two guns a Remington shotgun and a Glock 9mm handgun. He bought the two other handguns at the same shop a Hi-Point .380 on Dec. 30 and a Sig Sauer on Aug. 6.

All four guns were bought legally from a federally licensed firearms dealer, said Thomas Ahern, a spokesman for the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. At least one criminal background check was performed Kazmierczak had no criminal record.

Kazmierczak had a state police-issued FOID, a firearms owners identification card, which is required in Illinois to own a gun, authorities said. Such cards are rarely issued to those with recent mental health problems. And since Kazmierczak's stay in the mental health center was more than five years ago, it didn't raise red flags.

NIU President John Peters said Kazmierczak compiled "a very good academic record, no record of trouble" at the 25,000-student campus in DeKalb. He won at least two awards and served as an officer in two student groups dedicated to promoting understanding of the criminal justice system.

Thread Information