Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Standard Dave is offline Constable

Pcs' 'squabble' over police van

A police officer punched a colleague in the face following a "petty squabble" over who was going to drive a force van, Newport Crown Court has heard.

Pc Byron Emerson-Thomas, 37, wanted first go in the van at the start of a night shift because it was fitted with a new radio, the trial heard.

He denies wounding Pc Aled Bartlett, who needed eight stitches after the incident at a Cardiff police station.
    Pc Emerson-Thomas will claim he acted in self-defence, the jury was told.

He has been suspended since the incident last May at Fairwater police station in the city.

The court also heard that Pc Emerson-Thomas, of Cowbridge, Vale of Glamorgan, allegedly rubbed tea-soaked paper towels into the face and arm of Pc Bartlett, also 37, after he was handed the keys to a Panda car rather than the preferred police van.

Pc Emerson-Thomas wanted first go in the van because it was fitted with a new radio, the jury was told.
    Prosecutor Mark Spackman said: "The incident began in what can only be described as a petty squabble over who was driving the police van that evening.

"The sergeant told Pc Bartlett to take the van but the defendant was a bit upset about it and he asked Pc Bartlett if he could have it.

"Pc Bartlett simply got up and picked up the keys from the board then sat down at a table to drink a cup of tea.

"He went to pick up the cup of tea and Pc Emerson-Thomas punched his arm causing it to spill over the table and himself."
    The trial heard Pc Bartlett picked up a paper towel to clean up the spilled tea.

But Pc Emerson-Thomas was accused of using other towels to wipe the tea down his colleague's arm.
    Mr Spackman said: "Emerson-Thomas then shoved the paper towels into Pc Bartlett's face."

The court was told that other officers had told them to stop but Pc Emerson-Thomas then lashed out at Pc Bartlett with his fist and hit his eyebrow.

"It was a hard punch and knocked the contact lens out of his eye," said Mr Spackman.
    "There was a cut which may have been caused by the signet ring Emerson-Thomas was wearing."

Pc Emerson-Thomas was sent home from the station and he has been suspended since.

The court heard that the men had worked together for five months but there had never been any animosity. They had also known each other for four years.

Mr Spackman told the jury that a person is entitled to use reasonable force to defend himself or herself if they believed it was necessary to use such force.

"In those circumstances, the law allows you to use force that is reasonable to repel that attack," he said.

"That will be the primary issue for you to determine during the course of this case."

Mr Spackman told the jury to disregard the professions of the defendant and complainant, adding: "This is no less criminal conduct than if it had been between two members of the public in the street."
    The trial continues.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7253207.stm

Must have been some special radio I don't know any officers who would rather drive the van that a patrol car.
    "all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" Edmund Burke.
    "the world is a dangerous place place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who do not do anything about it" Albert Einstein

HudsonHawk is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Maybe he thought the "panda car" was demeaning?

The van had a new radio... I guess on the other side of the water you don't have the expression "slave to the radio".
    "never bring paws to a gunfight" - Jenna

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    boys will be boys
    your vans must be wicked nice... never a fight over who is gonna drive ours lol
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

Standard Dave is offline Constable
    He's been cleared what a waste of everyones time

Pc cleared over colleague attack

A police officer has been cleared of wounding a colleague in an argument over who should drive a force van.

Pc Byron Emerson-Thomas had claimed he acted in self-defence in the row at a Cardiff police station with Pc Aled Bartlett, who needed eight stitches.

After the Newport Crown Court jury took less than 30 minutes to reach its verdict, the judge questioned why the Pc's case had ever come to court.
    His barrister said the "silly incident" could have been handled better.

South Wales Police said it respected the court's decision and an internal investigation would take place.
    The trial heard Pc Emerson-Thomas, 37, of Cowbridge, Vale of Glamorgan wanted first go in the patrol van because it had been fitted with a new radio.

But Pc Bartlett had been handed the keys to the van at the start of their night shift last May at Fairwater police station in Cardiff and refused to hand over the keys.

Pc Emerson-Thomas then allegedly spilt a cup of tea over him, starting the parade room altercation.
    Prosecutor Mark Spackman also said Pc Emerson-Thomas rubbed tea-soaked paper towels into the face and arm of Pc Bartlett.

Appearing as a defence witness earlier, Pc Anthony Hughes said he was "shocked" when he saw Pc Emerson-Thomas land the blow.
    He said it was Pc Bartlett who approached Pc Emerson-Thomas before being hit in the face.

"I saw Pc Bartlett walk towards Pc Emerson-Thomas and his face was one of anger. I thought he (Pc Bartlett) was going to hit him," he said.
    "I was just stunned at what was going on.

"I had never seen anything like that (look) on Pc Bartlett's face."
    Pc Hughes said he was also surprised by Pc Bartlett throwing a bottle of water at Pc Emerson-Thomas and hitting his cup of tea out of his hand.

Pc Hughes said the punch "stopped" Pc Bartlett and brought the incident to a close.
    Pc Emerson-Thomas has been suspended since the incident.

His defence counsel Daniel Williams criticised South Wales Police for its handling of the case.

"Rather than dealing with this silly incident in another way they've spent months, thousands of pounds and man-hours in dragging this to court," he said.

"There are better ways to spend public funds.

"One wonders if it was two builders whether this would have come to court."

Chief Supt Josh Jones of South Wales Police said they respected the decision of the court and an internal investigation would now take place.
    "This was an isolated incident which in no way represents the service that South Wales Police provide to the people of Cardiff on a day to day basis," he said.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7256778.stm
    "all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" Edmund Burke.
    "the world is a dangerous place place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who do not do anything about it" Albert Einstein

ex401mp is offline Was betrachten Sie?
    Verified LEO
    Stupid ass reason to get into a fight over and possibly lose a career.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American G.I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom. ~ Anon

si hic carrus commovet non quaerete

RIP Scott L. Roth- Pfc 1st Platoon,401st MP Co, KIA 12/20/89- Operation Just Cause- Not forgotten.
    ALWAYS FIRST!!!

Illiy is offline Corporal
    A few years ago I met several of the guys from South Wales Police during Baker 2 Vegas. Really nice guys... all very mellow and fun...This just seems silly...
    FIGHT ON!

Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    When my kind come to rule this planet your name shall be put on a list, a protected list, and no harm shall come to you.

bayern is online now Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Screw him, if he wants to drive, fine; just lean back and take a good nap (unless, of course, the vans are under video survallance, like everything else in England.

Shoestring is offline Please dont check the trunk...
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Illiy View Post
    A few years ago I met several of the guys from South Wales Police during Baker 2 Vegas. Really nice guys... all very mellow and fun...This just seems silly...
    Ummmm, Illy not to be mean, but you are a good looking girl, I am sure they were nice to you for a reason

As for the incident at hand, damn start, fight for your right to have the bitch VAN

Illiy is offline Corporal
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoestring View Post
    Ummmm, Illy not to be mean, but you are a good looking girl, I am sure they were nice to you for a reason

As for the incident at hand, damn start, fight for your right to have the bitch VAN
    Haha... Um... Thanks? I was there with my boyfriend at the time... His department had "taken them under their wings" so to speak...
    FIGHT ON!

Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    When my kind come to rule this planet your name shall be put on a list, a protected list, and no harm shall come to you.

Thread Information