Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

U.K. spy agency denies Diana assassination

The former head of MI6 denied Wednesday that the British intelligence agency was responsible for the car accident that killed Princess Diana and her boyfriend, Dodi al Fayed, in 1997.

Sir Richard Dearlove, who was director of special operations for the agency at the time of Diana’s Paris accident, testified at the inquest into the pair’s death that he also believes an operation by rogue agents would have been impossible.

Fayed’s father, Mohamed Al Fayed, has accused MI6 of engineering the death of his son and the princess at the behest of Prince Philip, Queen Elizabeth II’s husband.

As director of special operations, Dearlove said it was his responsibility to sign off on any operation that would otherwise be illegal, such as breaking into an office or receiving a stolen document.

The operation would then have to be approved by the foreign secretary, a senior member of the government.

‘Outside the function of the service’
    Ian Burnett, a lawyer for the coroner’s inquest, asked Dearlove whether he could confirm that “no authorization was sought in respect of any activities concerning Princess Diana.”

“I can absolutely confirm that,” Dearlove said.

Burnett asked: “And it would plainly have been outside the functions of (the agency) to do so?”

“Had it been done, it would have been outside the function of the service,” Dearlove said.

Burnett asked if it was possible for rogue elements to mount an operation outside the chain of command.

“I would have regarded that as an impossibility,” Dearlove said.

Dearlove, who headed MI6 from 1999-2004, said he did not authorize any slayings, and denied a claim by former agent Richard Tomlinson about a proposed plan for assassinating Serbian President Slobodan Milosevic.

Dearlove said he believed the idea involved another target — but that it was immediately rejected at a low level. He said the proposal was “killed stone dead.”

Michael Mansfield, Al Fayed’s attorney, pressed Dearlove on training given to agents on the issue of assassination.

Dearlove acknowledged that the agency’s “no assassination” policy was not put down in writing in training manuals but would have been communicated orally.

He also said the claim that Prince Philip directed MI6 was “utterly ridiculous.” He said there was no formal relationship between the agency and the prince, although Philip had visited the agency’s offices in the queen’s company.

He also dismissed Fayed’s claim that Philip and the intelligence agencies effectively ran the country.

“I am tempted to say I am flattered, but once again it is such an absurd allegation. ... It is completely off the map,” he said.

Dearlove’s appearance before the inquest was an extraordinary exception to agency policy of neither publicly confirming nor denying any allegations about its activities.

Dearlove is the first MI6 director whose name has been publicly confirmed. Previous directors were known only as “C.”

Associated press, updated 9:54 a.m. ET, Wed., Feb. 20, 2008

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23251822/

Resident Smart Ass is offline I ASK THE QUESTIONS AROUND HERE
    Verified LEO
    Who the hell cares
    Don't you just hate it when someone's balls are hidden so well, they can't seem to find it themselves ~ RSA

You can't avoid gossip & rude words from
    people. You can't please everybody. But remember, they wouldn't bother if you meant nothing.

FOLLOW RSA ON TWITTER (IF YOU'RE GOING TO FOLLOW ME, PLEASE SEND ME A MESSAGE ON HERE WITH YOUR O/R USERNAME AND TWEET USERNAME SO I'LL KNOW WHO I'M ACCEPTING OTHERWISE YOU WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!)
    https://twitter.com/RESIDENTSMARTAS

A PINT OF SWEAT SAVES A GALLON OF BLOOD ~ PATTON

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    Had Diana worn her seatbelt, she'd still be alive today. And if she had kept her police protection team, she would also still be alive. Al Fayed is a raving lunatic and should be in a secure hospital.
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

Standard Dave is offline Constable
    Probably having a police or security service trained driver not a drunk trained by mercedes would have helped as well.

Al Fayed is pissed because the British government won't give him a passport and he obviously thinks causing a fuss will get back at them
    "all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" Edmund Burke.
    "the world is a dangerous place place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who do not do anything about it" Albert Einstein

Motorwaycop is offline Retired Plod
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Standard Dave View Post
    Al Fayed is pissed because the British government won't give him a passport and he obviously thinks causing a fuss will get back at them
    Perhaps he should take the new citizenship test.

And I agree, who the hell does care.Apart from Al fayed.
    the sole advantage of power is that you can do more good.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

Thread Information