Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Exclamation Cop writes 2,400 traffic tickets, totalling $21,562.15 in overtime pay. News media investigating.

The Action News Investigators are asking tough questions in Warren, where writing more tickets can mean big money for police officers.

IN A LOCAL SUBURB THE MORE TICKETS THAT SOME TRAFFIC OFFICERS WRITE THE MORE OPPORTUNITIES THEY HAVE TO GET PAID OVER TIME.
    IT’S A SYSTEM THAT’S ALLOWING ONE OFFICER TO CASH IN BIG TIME.

WARREN POLICE OFFICER DAVID KANAPSKY WROTE THOUSANDS OF TRAFFIC TICKETS LAST YEAR. AND HE RAKED IN THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS OF OVERTIME PAY. MANY DRIVERS HE TICKETED SAY THEY HAD A CLEAN RECORD UNTIL THEY CROSSED PATHS WITH KANAPSKY.

WARREN POLICE OFFICER DAVID KANAPSKY SPENDS A LOT OF TIME IN COURT.

THAT’S BECAUSE HE WRITES A LOT OF TRAFFIC TICKETS …

Kanapsky saying person rolled through stop sign

…MOST OF THEM ARE FOR STOP SIGN VIOLATIONS. IN FACT, LAST YEAR OFFICER KANAPSKY WROTE 2,347 TICKETS JUST FOR STOP SIGN VIOLATIONS.
    BUT MANY DRIVERS KANAPSKY TICKETED INSIST THEY DID STOP.

Brenda Harris/Ticketed driver “I absolutely positively stopped at that stop sign.”

Nicole Barksdale/Ticket driver: “I was angry, honestly, I was angry because I knew I stopped.”

Pam Smith/Ticketed Driver: “I’m positive I stopped. I am positive.”

PAM SMITH WAS GOING TO WORK WHEN KANAPSKY PULLED HER OVER ON A ROAD THAT SHE HAS BEEN TRAVELING FOR TWO-AND-A-HALF YEARS.

Pam Smith: “I’m very familiar what the speed limit is 25 and I know where the stop sign is.”

SO WHEN THE OFFICER PULLED HER OVER, PAM WAS SHOCKED.

Pam Smith: “I was just flabbergasted at that, thinking, what the heck, I did stop.”

NICOLE BARKSDALE SAYS SHE IS CERTAIN SHE STOPPED BECAUSE SHE KNEW KANAPSKY MONITORED THE I-696 SERVICE DRIVE NEAR RYAN.

Nicole Barksdale/Ticketed Driver: “I knew he was there. I just saw him pull up and I knew that he sat there.”

THE INTERSECTION NICOLE IS TALKING ABOUT HAS A YIELD SIGN NOW.
    THAT’S BECAUSE SO MANY PEOPLE COMPLAINED … THE CITY CHANGED THE SIGN.

NICOLE AND PAM ARE FIGHTING THEIR TICKETS IN COURT AND
    GAIL KING FOUGHT HERS LAST MONTH.

Gail King/Ticketed Driver: “I’ve never had a traffic ticket in my life.”

KANAPSKY TESTIFIED THAT GAIL ROLLED THROUGH A STOP SIGN.

David Kanapsky/Warren Police Officer: “She approached the stop sign, slowed down, but rolled through it by over 10 miles an hour without stopping.”

GAIL TESTIFIED THAT SHE IS VERY FAMILIAR WITH THE STOP SIGNS IN HER NEIGHBORHOOD AND SHE IS CERTAIN SHE STOPPED.

Gail King/Ticketed driver “I live right there. And it would be no way that I would ever not stop at a stop sign because my daughter had an accident with a woman not stopping at a stop sign. I would not do that.”

BUT THE JUDGE SIDED WITH KANPASKY.

Judge John M. Chmura/37th District Court: Obviously, there’s a conflict and both statements cannot be true. I find officer Kanapsky’s testimony to be credible. He’s an unbiased witness.”

BUT IS HE? EVEN IF JUDGES DON’T SIDE WITH KANAPSKY HE SEEMINGLY HAS NOTHING TO LOSE AND EVERYTHING TO GAIN.

WHY IS THAT? BECAUSE THE MORE TICKETS KANAPSKY WRITES THE MORE CHANCES HE HAS TO GET OVERTIME PAY.

Heather Catallo: “So, the more tickets an officer issues, the more time they go to court?”

Jere Green: “Yes.”

Catallo: “The more time for overtime.”

Green: “That’s correct.”

JERE GREEN IS THE ACTING POLICE COMMISSIONER FOR THE WARREN POLICE DEPARTMENT.

HE SAYS ANY TIME AN OFFICER IS SUBPOENAED TO COURT WHEN HE IS OFF DUTY HE GETS A MINIMUM OF FOUR HOURS OVERTIME.

Catallo: “Don’t they have an incentive to write more tickets then?
    Green: If you’re saying that a person’s incentive is monetary gain, I can’t answer that question because I can’t get inside a person’s head…”

LAST YEAR KANAPSKY GOT MORE THAN $21,000 IN OVERTIME, BUMPING UP HIS TOTAL PAY TO MORE THAN $86,000 A YEAR.

Gerald Springfield/Ticketed Driver: “$21,000. That’s quite a bit of money. That’s quite a bit of money.”

GERALD SPRINGFIELD SAYS HE HAS BEEN DRIVING 50 YEARS AND HAS HAD A GREAT DRIVING RECORD … THAT IS BEFORE HE CROSSED PATHS WITH KANAPSKY.

Gerald Springfield/Driver: “He said you ran the stop sign. I said I didn’t run the stop sign. He said tell it to the judge.”

BUT SPRINGFIELD DIDN’T TELL THE JUDGE THAT.

LIKE MANY OTHERS ACTION NEWS SAW IN COURT, HE PLEADED GUILTY TO A LESSER OFFENSE AND PAID A $135 FINE.

THAT WAY DRIVERS AVOID POINTS ON THEIR RECORD AND HIGH INSURANCE RATES.

AS FOR PAM SMITH, SHE’S WILLING TO RISK POINTS ON HER RECORD TO PROVE SHE IS INNOCENT.

Pam Smith: “I don’t care about the points. I just care about what’s right and what’s wrong. And I know in my heart I was right.”

OFFICER KANAPSKY HE DECLINED TO DO AN INTERVIEW ABOUT THIS. ALSO, WARREN POLICE CARS NOW HAVE VIDEO CAMERAS.

IF YOU QUESTION A TICKET YOU RECEIVED, IT MIGHT BE A GOOD IDEA TO REQUEST THE VIDEO TO SEE IF IT BACKS UP YOUR CLAIM.

NCC1701 is offline Meat Popsicle
    Ok I am missing the point of the story....are they mad that he wrote 3k tickets or that they "claimed" they stopped at a goofy stop sign that is now a yield sign?
    If 2k tickets a year is bad we have a crapload of traffic units that will be surprised.

Methinks he wrote a reporter a ticket and the twit got mad and did this "expose".
    I don't like repeat offenders I like DEAD offenders-
    Ted Nugent

Make the world a better place....punch a hippie in the face!

Former member of Cortinian Liberation Front and the JSA MACHATOC.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The part they left out is that he gets paid his OT if he loses in court the same way he gets paid if he wins.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

k-9max is offline K9 Officer
    Verified LEO
    Fucking cry babys!
    YEAH, IM THE BERRIES, AND CHERRIES IN YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    Eat it, Play with it, or piss on it, and walk away!

As smart as man is, we haven't been able to invent a machine that can smell drugs or tell us where a person has walked,” Dogs are sophisticated investigative tools!

This brings back some sweet memories. I had so many people like this whiney woman claim they stopped at a stop sign. I got tired of being called a liar so out came the video.

"First off ma'am, you're required to stop at what's called a limit line. It's that very large white stripe in the road. Secondly, I have the entire incident on video. Would you like to see it?"

The jaw goes slightly slack and here comes the look of disbelief. "No. Nevermind."

Or, if they do want to see it..."Ok ma'am, here you can see your car approaching the intersection...just let me know when you see your car stop like you said you did..........Ok, I didn't hear you say anything. Let me rewind this thing here so you can try again."

So sweet.
    Those who live by the sword... get shot by those who don't.

jcsdscott is offline The short minister
    Verified LEO
    In comparison to almost every other member of my department it's safe to say I write the most tickets and as such I do log a lot of court time. However I, like the majority of LEOs, don't stop people because my light bill is due or baby needs a new pair of shoes. I stop them because they broke the law, regardless of what they want to perceive is my motivation. I'm not going to say what this officer is doing is money based, because I'm not him. It's not his fault that his department's contract pays for four hours minimum of overtime, that just sounds like good negotiation. It's sad though that he has already been tried in the court of public opinion and found guilty of sin, i.e. greed.
    Last edited by jcsdscott; 03-03-08 at 12:53 AM. Reason: added something
    Romans 8:28-31

"Anima Sana In Corpore Sano"

The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Sheriff, County Board, or any member of my department.

Lazy Fed is offline Curmudgeon
    MOST RETARDED STORY EVER!!!

Give me a friggin break people for real!!!!
    dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

Quote Originally Posted by Resident Smart Ass
    Life is to short not to experience Lazy Fed
    ___ ___ ___
    {o,o} {-.-} {0,0}
    |)__) |)_(| (__(|
    -"-"- -"-"- -"-"-
    O RLY?? YA RLY NO WAI!!!!

The incoherent statements given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency or any other person for that matter. They are MY PERSONAL DELUSIONAL FANTASIES and I accept sole responsibility as such as I am either drunk or stressed out of my mind.

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Any other profession where an employee puts in a lot of overtime, they call him a "hard worker"....

but if it's a cop, he's automatically a crook.

Just an observation.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

kjlaw is offline Swamp Mafia Proud!!!
    Verified LEO
    stop at the stop sign and this is not a problem
    Lead from the front and always remember those who came first.

Capt. Ocativo "OX" Gonzalez
    EOW 6/16/06

Always remember that a casket is hotter than your vest.

Quote Originally Posted by conalabu View Post
    Soon the whole world will be in the hands of the Swamp Mafia.

Thread Information