Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Monk internet flirting investigated by Thai government

The Thai government said Tuesday it was investigating claims that supposedly celibate Buddhist monks have been using a U.S.-based social networking website to flirt with women.

"We are looking for a way to monitor the use of the website by monks," said Chakrapob Penkair, a minister attached to the Prime Minister's Office.

The controversy arose after a self-styled watchdog group the Network of Civilians to Protect the Nation, the Religion and the King said monks were using the social networking site hi5 to flirt with women.

One user who called himself "Monk Chat" sent a message to a woman that said "(I) miss you," reported Thai Rath, Thailand's top-selling newspaper.

Buddhist monks must abstain from sexual behavior, which in practice means avoiding almost any contact with women. About 90% of Thailand's 65 million people are Buddhist.

Thai society expects most Buddhist males to spend at least two weeks in the monkhood during their lives to show their devotion to the religion. While most monks live by the religion's strict tenets, occasionally some flout the bans on sex or drinking.

Phone calls seeking comment to Bangkok's Mahachulalongkornrajavidyalaya University, the country's leading Buddhist training institute, were not answered Tuesday.

Charkapob urged other Thai Web users to look out for monks conducting themselves in an unseemly manner online.

"We urge people who use the site to tell monks to leave," Chakrapob said. "Other users need to show them that it is inappropriate for monks to chat with women online."

Last year, the Thai government blocked access to the YouTube video site for several months in a dispute about content deemed insulting to Thai King Bhumibol Adulyadej.

When asked about the possibility of blocking hi5, Chakrapob said the government needed to thoroughly consider its options because "the site is used as a database for many people and can be useful for many purposes."

The operators of California-based hi5 claim it is the No. 1 social networking site in more than 15 countries, including Thailand. A call to the hi5 public relations office in San Francisco was not answered early Tuesday.

A senior Culture Ministry official, Ladda Thangsupachai, said monks should not be banned from using the Internet because they can use it to teach Buddhist philosophy to the young.

"Cyberspace can be very useful for monks," Ladda said. "But it's wrong to use it to pick up girls."

By Ambika Ahuja, Associated Press

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/webguid...s-online_N.htm

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Man, you can't even trust a Monk nowadays!
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    What, at least they were flirting with women instead of young boys.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    WHAT UNIVERSITY????? lol
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Seems pretty harmless to me, it isn't like the girls were flying out to meet them.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    I wonder what the girls would think if they knew they were monk-flirting? Do the monks tell the truth or do they say that they do other things for a living?
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Thread Information