Welcome to the APBWeb.
    smokey703 is offline I'm Bi-WINNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Verified LEO

Pro golfer kills hawk with golf shot.

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP)—An animal rights group wants the PGA Tour to take action against player Tripp Isenhour, facing charges for hitting a hawk with a golf shot because it was making noise as he videotaped a TV show.
    “Because of the high profile nature of this case, the PGA needs to take steps to address its interest and to make it clear that they don’t condone animal cruelty,” said Dale Bartlett, the Humane Society of the United States’ deputy manager for animal cruelty issues.
    He said the organization would contact the PGA Tour on Friday to discuss the issue.
    Isenhour was charged Wednesday with cruelty to animals and killing a migratory bird, misdemeanors that carry a maximum penalty of 14 months in jail and $1,500 in fines.
    Isenhour, playing the Nationwide Tour this season after losing his PGA Tour card last year, apologized in a statement released Thursday and said he was only trying to scare the hawk away.
    The 39-year-old player, whose real name is John Henry Isenhour III, became angry while filming “Shoot Like A Pro” on Dec. 12 at the Grand Cypress Golf Club—his home course—when a squawking red-shouldered hawk forced another take.

ADVERTISEMENT

He got in his golf cart and drove closer to the bird, then 300 yards away, and starting hitting balls at it. The bird didn’t move and Isenhour gave up and drove away.
    Isenhour started again when the hawk moved within about 75 yards, Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission officer Brian Baine indicated in a report.
    Isenhour allegedly said, “I’ll get him now,” and aimed for the hawk.
    “About the sixth ball came very near the bird’s head, and (Isenhour) was very excited that it was so close,” Baine wrote.
    A few shots later, witnesses said he hit the hawk. The bird, protected as a migratory species, fell to the ground bleeding from both nostrils.
    “As soon as this happened, I was mortified and extremely upset and continue to be upset,” Isenhour said in a statement issued through his management company, SFX Golf. “I want to let everyone know there was neither any malice nor deliberate intent whatsoever to hit or harm the hawk. I was trying to simply scare it into flying away.”
    Bartlett said Isenhour’s case, like the Michael Vick dog fighting case, is disappointing for society.
    “We look up to professional athletes and we want them to reflect the best of us as a society and I think we’re appalled when it turns out they instead reflect some of the very worst attributes,” he said in a phone interview Thursday night.
    Isenhour said he is an animal lover and his family has adopted three cats from a local shelter.
    “We ask that everyone accept my sincerest apology, and please be respectful of my family’s privacy,” he said.
    Isenhour has won four times on the Nationwide Tour, including twice in 2006. The former Georgia Tech star has played three events this year on the developmental circuit, the last a 36th-place tie two weeks ago in the Moonah Classic in Australia.
    Jethro Senger, a sound engineer at the shoot, said hitting the bird was “basically like a joke to (Isenhour).”
    “He just kept saying how he didn’t think he could have hit it, which I think is a stupid thing for a PGA Tour golfer to say,” Senger said. “He can put a ball in a hole from hundreds of yards away, and here he is hitting line drives at something that’s, I don’t know, a couple hundred feet away?”
    Senger said no one in the roughly 15-person crew intervened, and many later regretted it.
    “It was one of those cases where there’s some trepidation on whether or not they should speak up and do something,” Senger said.
    Senger said the killing was not captured on video. The bird was buried at the golf course and later dug up by Florida investigators.
    “Americans have no tolerance for cruelty to animals. Such a petty, mean spirited act against a wild bird is inexcusable and prosecutors are right to hold Isenhour accountable to the law,” Humane Society executive vice president Michael Markarian said in a statement released Thursday.
    Associated Press Writer Kelli Kennedy in Miami contributed to this report.
    Wise men stand behind me, brave men stand beside me, but only fools stand against me.

The force that propels you to prevail when you are put to a test of survival will be a mindset that refuses to accept nothing but winning.

Too often, we lose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to reach out and bitch slap that motherf*cker upside the head.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    People who hurt animals for giggles need to be castrated.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

HudsonHawk is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    I'm not going to argue that hurting animals is stupid and the guy needs a swift kick in the ass. But the simple fact is that he was acting stupid. I honestly don't believe that this, or the Marine throwing the puppy, should be world news. This golfer probably thought he was screwing around with the bird, hitting golf balls at it and unintentionally killed it. Fine him, suspend him from the PGA tour, whatever. It should not be national or world news though.
    "never bring paws to a gunfight" - Jenna

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by smokey703 View Post
    Isenhour allegedly said, “I’ll get him now,” and aimed for the hawk.
    “About the sixth ball came very near the bird’s head, and (Isenhour) was very excited that it was so close,”
    “As soon as this happened, I was mortified and extremely upset and continue to be upset,” Isenhour said in a statement issued through his management company, SFX Golf. “I want to let everyone know there was neither any malice nor deliberate intent whatsoever to hit or harm the hawk.
    Yeah, right

I think it should be news because we're supporting this jerk everytime we buy a product advertised on a PGA TV program.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Ender is offline Three Sheets...
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    true....true.
    --

Ender

"And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon..."

TheeBadOne is offline Why so serious?
    Verified LEO
    I heard this golfer just landed a lucrative endorsement for a new type of golf club and was out on the course hawking it...
    "When I'm driving along and I see a sign that says, CAUTION: SMALL CHILDREN AHEAD,
    I slow down, and then it occurs to me, I'm not afraid of small children"!

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by TheeBadOne View Post
    I heard this golfer just landed a lucrative endorsement for a new type of golf club and was out on the course hawking it...
    I think he misunderstood the concept of scoring a birdy too... At least he didn't score an Eagle

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

CountyFourteen is offline Sergeant
    Verified LEO
    I guess it would be like saying I shot 6 times and only hit him once, so that proves I didn't really want to shoot him....
    Any Post I make is my opinion only!
    I do not have the authority or the permission to post for my Sheriff's Office.

Thread Information