Welcome to the APBWeb.
    bird1 is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO

Time to Get the Doughnuts

Cops speed at 100 mph after doughnut van

http://www.suntimes.com/news/nation/...032108.article
    " The hardest thing about disarming an armed suspect is not slipping on your own shit "

Michael P. Gordon E.O.W 08 Aug 2004

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Where's the story?
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Seems that the news site had it encrypted or something, I had to repost it in pieces. It wouldn't post after a simple cut and paste. Anyway, here it is.

Cops speed at 100 mph after doughnut van

FROM ASSOCIATED PRESS

TOLEDO, Iowa — A bevy of officers chased a doughnut delivery van at speeds up to 100 mph before arresting the driver at gunpoint, authorities said.

But the cops weren’t simply hankering for doughnuts.

The van, owned by Donut Delite of Moline, Ill., was stolen early Thursday while the driver was making deliveries at a hospital in nearby Rock Island. The driver had left the van running, and a man jumped in and headed for Iowa, just over the Mississippi River.

A Benton County, Iowa, sheriff’s deputy spotted the van later in the morning, and eight other officers eventually joined the chase. Authorities finally cornered it in neighboring Tama County.

Frank Alvarado, 46, of Moline, Ill., was charged with theft and other counts and was held on $15,000 bond.

Security video showed Alvarado milling about before driving off in the van, but he was not listed as a patient, said officials at Trinity Medical Hospital-West in Rock Island. A jail official said he was assigned a public defender, whose name wasn’t immediately available.

Tama County Sheriff Dennis Kucera said his officers had no idea what the unmarked van was carrying.

They were rewarded for their efforts anyway — the doughnut shop gave them the purloined goodies.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I just got this information in an email but from another news link. FoxNews.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,340314,00.html

TOLEDO, Iowa — An Illinois man was arrested after police chased a stolen delivery van loaded with doughnuts across two Iowa counties at speeds of up to 100 mph.

The van, owned by Donut Delite, of Moline, Ill., was stolen early Thursday while the driver was making deliveries at a hospital in nearby Rock Island.

More than 100 miles later in Iowa, a Benton County sheriff's deputy spotted the van about 9:30 a.m. — and the chase began.

Other officers joined in, and the chase stretched into Tama County. Authorities finally cornered the van in Toledo and arrested the driver, Frank Alvarado, 46, of Moline, Ill. He is charged with theft, eluding and numerous traffic violations.

He had been a patient at Trinity Medical Hospital-West in Rock Island, authorities said.

The bakery donated the doughnuts to the officers involved in the chase.

"They probably deserved it," said Sharon Wainwright, manager of Delite Donuts

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Cross240 is offline Temporarily Civilianized
    "They probably deserved it," said Sharon Wainwright, manager of Delite Donuts
    Take Probably out of the above qoute, and your exactly right. Stupid Beeeyotch.
    There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Thread Information