Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky

Jury Deliberating Microwaved Baby Case

Jury gets case of man who microwaved baby

By Scott E. Williams
    The Daily News
    Published March 24, 2008

GALVESTON — The fate of an Arkansas man who admitted burning his infant daughter in a microwave oven is in a jury’s hands.

Attorneys gave their closing arguments Monday in the case of Joshua Mauldin, who faces a charge that could carry anything from probation to life in prison.

Police on May 15 charged Mauldin, 20, with injury to a child after he told detective Holly Johnson had become “agitated” while alone in a Seawall Boulevard hotel room with 2-month-old daughter Ana.

Mauldin told police he threw and hit the baby before putting her first into the room’s safe, then into the refrigerator and, finally, into the microwave oven. The child survived the attack but was badly burned.

Mauldin, charged with injury to a child, has pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity. That plea required the defense to show Mauldin, more likely than not, was so afflicted he did not know what he was doing was wrong at the time.

It was a burden of proof that prosecutor Kayla Allen told jurors the defense had failed to meet.

“Not only do you have no credible evidence of insanity, you have zero evidence of insanity,” Allen argued Monday morning, referring to defense witness Dr. Michael Fuller.

Fuller, a professor of psychiatry with the University of Texas Medical Branch, testified as a defense witness and said that if Mauldin’s description of his physical symptoms at the time were correct, he could have been suffering from a neurological disorder that left him unable to control his actions.

However, Fuller, appointed by Judge Susan Criss to examine Mauldin, submitted a report to the court stating that he had found no credible evidence that Mauldin “met the statutory requirements” for insanity.

Defense attorney Sam Cammack III told jurors that prosecutors had not presented them with every available piece of evidence, saying jurors “got about 25 percent of their case.”

Cammack argued that considering gaps in the case against his client did not equate to minimizing the girl’s injuries.

“That little baby did not deserve whatever happened to her in that room,” he said.

Cammack said that doubts remained as to whether Mauldin really placed the child in the oven, saying it was too small to fit the child.

However, prosecutor Xochitl Vandiver argued that just two months earlier, infant Ana had fit into something even smaller — her mother’s womb.

Vandiver also said that Mauldin telling tales of sunburns and scalding water for four days, before admitting to burning her in the oven, kept investigators from immediately knowing what to look for.

“Our officers and investigators are not psychics, so when the defendant knows what happened and will not say so, what are we to do?” she asked.

The severity of the charge injury to a child depends on how badly the child victim is hurt. Because of the severity of ANA’s injuries, the charge carries a possible prison term of five to 99 years. But because Mauldin has no prior felony convictions, he would also be eligible for probation if the jury finds him guilty.

The child lost most of her left ear and had to have skin grafts on her left arm, in addition to second-degree burns on much of that arm and shoulder. She has recovered and is now in foster care with relatives who are sworn to have no contact with Joshua Mauldin or his wife, Eva.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Just KC is offline Who?......Me?
    This just makes me cry.....
    ~Karie

"I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    And people wonder why cop's drink after shift. Fuck.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

ex401mp is offline Was betrachten Sie?
    Verified LEO
    He needs to hurry up and get into prison so he can be forcibly ass fucked repeatedly by the biggest dude in that prison.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American G.I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom. ~ Anon

si hic carrus commovet non quaerete

RIP Scott L. Roth- Pfc 1st Platoon,401st MP Co, KIA 12/20/89- Operation Just Cause- Not forgotten.
    ALWAYS FIRST!!!

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I hope that they let him off. I'd be happy to give him a ride from the courthouse.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Standard Dave is offline Constable
    Probation as an option your justice system is as fuck up as ours....
    "all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" Edmund Burke.
    "the world is a dangerous place place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who do not do anything about it" Albert Einstein

Twan007 is offline The People
    Verified LEO
    may justice be served... in every sense...
    -=Twan007

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in alignment with his employer. Matter of fact, the poster will deny any knowledge of any post... this message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky

Jury Reaches Decision - 25 years

Dad who put baby in oven gets 25-year sentence

By HARVEY RICE
    Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

GALVESTON — A jury sentenced Joshua Mauldin to 25 years in prison today for burning his infant daughter in a microwave oven at a Galveston motel last year.

The four men and eight women jurors, who deliberated about two hours and 30 minutes Tuesday, gave their decision to state District Judge Susan Criss after about four hours of consideration today.

The jury also fined Mauldin $10,000 and recommended no probation.

Mauldin remained expressionless when the sentence was read.

The jury found Mauldin, 20, of Warren, Ark., guilty on Tuesday of injury to a child after after hearing six days of testimony.

Jurors rejected Mauldin's claim that he was temporarily insane when he put his daughter, Anna Murphy, in a microwave oven for 10 seconds.

The jury also found that Mauldin used a deadly weapon — the microwave oven — in commission of the crime. The finding means that Mauldin will have to serve at least 50 percent of his sentence before being eligible for parole.

Testimony indicated that Mauldin was such a good father that he was the primary caregiver for his daughter. Testimony also showed that he had struck his wife at least once, set fire to a school locker at 16 and was discharged from the U.S. Army after being convicted of stealing a computer.

Mauldin arrived in Galveston shortly after midnight on May 10 to answer a call from God to become a minister. With him were his daughter, his wife, Eva, his mother and his younger brother.

They had rented an apartment, but decided to spend the night in a motel on Seawall Boulevard because of the late hour.

Mauldin's mother and brother went for take-out food and his wife left for a few minutes to get toiletries, leaving Mauldin alone with his daughter.

According to a video recording of his interview with a Galveston police investigator and testimony, a strange feeling came over Mauldin and he suddenly felt an urge to get money so he could go to a topless bar.

He said he felt a white hot sensation in his stomach and as if his skin were covered with mud that began to crack and let demons escape. Mauldin said he became an observer of his own actions without the ability to control them.

Mauldin tossed his daughter on the bed, punched her in the groin, placed her in the motel room safe, refrigerator and finally the microwave oven.

Anna suffered second- and third-degree burns on her left hand and face. Her left ear was amputated and her foster mother testified that she has lost the use of her middle finger and much of the use of her left hand.

She will have a scar on the left side of her face for life, according to testimony.

Mauldin initially told authorities that the burns were caused by the sun, then said he had spilled hot water on his daughter while making coffee.

Because of guilt and pressure from his mother, four days later he told a social worker that the burns were caused by a microwave oven.

Although testimony indicated Mauldin had been mentally ill since at least 10 and had been taking antipsychotic and antidepressant drugs for years, psychiatrists said they could not say he was legally insane when he placed his daughter in the oven.

A psychiatrist appointed by the court said he could not rule out that a combination of Mauldin's mental illness, low blood sugar and withdrawal from an antipsychotic drug caused a fit of insanity.

He was diagnosed as having major depression with psychotic episodes.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Time to convert the gas chamber over to a giant microwave, if you ask me.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Thread Information