Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

$204,060 to raise child born in 2007 to age 18 in middle-income family

Middle-income families can expect to spend $204,060 on feeding, housing and schooling a child born in 2007 until his or her 18th birthday, the U.S. government reported on Monday.

Child care and education costs will represent a larger share of costs for raising the '07 baby through adulthood than they have in the past, the Agriculture Department said in an annual study on child-rearing costs.

"The cost of providing food decreased from 24 percent to 17 percent of total child-rearing costs, while child care and education expenses increased from 2 percent to 12 percent," the department said.

Housing will be the single largest cost for U.S. families -- making up 33 to 27 percent of total expenses across income groups, USDA said.

Factoring in inflation, the grand total for middle-income families comes to $269,040, USDA said. Total costs also include transportation, health care, and other necessities.

Child-rearing costs have soared since USDA began conducting its annual study in 1960, and can vary dramatically according to a family's income.

Families making less than $45,800 before taxes can expect to spend less, $148,320 in real terms over the course of their child's first 17 years. Those on the other end of the income spectrum, making more than $77,100 a year, will spend $298,680 in 2007 dollars on raising their '07 child.

Even though the study does not include the cost of college, USDA found that children get more expensive as they get older. Teenagers were the most costly.

The department also noted that child-rearing costs are the greatest in the urban West, and lowest in the urban Midwest and rural areas across the country.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080324/..._children_dc_1

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Why does the cost to raise a child change with the income of the household?

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    awesome news...does anyone want to buy a kidney?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    Why does the cost to raise a child change with the income of the household?
    Probably because higher-income families live in areas with a higher cost of living.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Probably because higher-income families live in areas with a higher cost of living.

I tend to think it is because to many people don't know the difference between "wants" and "needs". There are so many things that kids need to grow up today that I had never even heard of while growing up. I am only 29.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Verified LEO
    I was actually typing out what you just posted, Five-O. I think it's probably a little of both, to be honest.
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    I tend to think it is because to many people don't know the difference between "wants" and "needs". There are so many things that kids need to grow up today that I had never even heard of while growing up. I am only 29.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    I was actually typing out what you just posted, Five-O. I think it's probably a little of both, to be honest.
    I think so too. There's not much that a child (or an adult) really "needs" just to survive. Even living in an area with a high cost of living can be seen as a "want" rather than a "need." The statistics are just based on the average amount spent by the average family on the average child, not the minimum amount needed to keep a child alive.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    not the minimum amount needed to keep a child alive.
    how much is 18 years worth of bologna and some burlap sacks to wear?

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Hopefully less than what you could get by selling your kidney!

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Build a yert and keep the kid in there. You might save on heating bills.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Build a yert and keep the kid in there. You might save on heating bills.

Build one....hell I know this family that is giving them away. I saw it on Craig's List.

213th is offline Solipsist
    DITTO! I will raise my kids the way my dad raised us. If you NEED it, I will buy it. If you WANT it, expect to earn the money yourself. Teaches good financial responsibilitity. However, like my dad, I will not be above buying gifts every now and then. However, it also only works (I think) with older children and you have to be honest about why you can't buy it. My dad was honest about not being able to afford shit for us when we were kids.
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Build one....hell I know this family that is giving them away. I saw it on Craig's List.
    Haha!

Supporting Member Lvl 1
    All yert jokes aside, I agree with you.

Verified LEO
    that's pretty funny...I owe you some rep!

Ender is offline Three Sheets...
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I don't even watch kids unwrap presents at Christmas any more. They get 10 presents, ranging from a minimum of $40 to a max of $200, depending on the buyer. They go from one to the next, unwrapping the presents, saying "wow" for a minute, then moving on to the next present without bothering to thank the person who just gave them the previous one!

When I was a kid, I was damn happy with the presents I received, and I made damn sure to go up and say thank you after unwrapping each one.

My Mom asked my cousin if their was anything she could get for her son for Christmas. She named off some $80 toy just at random. My Mom says, "I only spend $100 on my kids combined, there is no way I'm spending $80 on yours.
    --

Ender

"And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon..."

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    That is exactly what I am talking about Ender. Kids I can understand getting spoiled by grandparents, parents, ect. However, I run into to many parents that would rather spend $20 on their kids than spend 20 minutes talking to them. These are the same parents that think that giving their kids the latest designer clothes, a BMW for the 16th birthday ect., is the same as "raising" their kids. Our society is constantly being sold everything all the time. Happiness can not be bought and you can not pay for material possessions to make up for a lack of parenting. My Old Man had a saying that he told me that will stick with me and that I will pass on to my children. "I'll be your part time friend and your full time father."

Ender is offline Three Sheets...
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    That is exactly what I am talking about Ender. Kids I can understand getting spoiled by grandparents, parents, ect. However, I run into to many parents that would rather spend $20 on their kids than spend 20 minutes talking to them. These are the same parents that think that giving their kids the latest designer clothes, a BMW for the 16th birthday ect., is the same as "raising" their kids. Our society is constantly being sold everything all the time. Happiness can not be bought and you can not pay for material possessions to make up for a lack of parenting. My Old Man had a saying that he told me that will stick with me and that I will pass on to my children. "I'll be your part time friend and your full time father."
    Well put. And you're only a year older than me
    --

Ender

"And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon..."

Thread Information