Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO

Now this is how to carry out a Raid.

Operation overkill: Hundreds of police officers cram streets in massive swoop on drug gangs

By CHARLOTTE GILL and NICK McDERMOTT - More by this author Last updated at 07:15am on 28th March 2008

Marching down the street, they look like an army preparing for battle.

But this was no apocalyptic war zone.
    It was rather a suburban road where the locals - while no doubt grateful of a beefed-up police presence - probably thought 600 officers with the sun glinting off their riot helmets smacked of overkill. Scroll down for more...
    More than a thousand officers are involved in one of the Met's biggest operations against organised crime

Moments later the officers stormed into an adjoining road bustling with cafes and shops which has become a haven of organised crime.
    In an extraordinary operation, they swooped on 19 businesses on Blackstock Road in Finsbury Park, North London, which are suspected of drug dealing, money laundering and selling fake documents.
    Targets included an internet cafe, a butcher and a greengrocer. Scroll down for more...
    Police raid a shop, with their investigations focusing on a network involved in drugs

T-Mobile has said that 40 per cent of all stolen phones go on to be used in the Blackstock Road area.

Fearing a riot, the Metropolitan Police drafted in a huge number of officers and within seconds they had sealed off the street and evacuated members of the public.
    More than 70 suspects were in custody last night. Officers found more than 300 stolen mobile phones.
    Other stolen items seized include 120 laptops, 110 cameras, 32 iPods, 20 satnavs and 47 forged passports and driving licences. Scroll down for more...
    Police break down a door, with the aim of unearthing stolen goods

Police said many of those involved in the criminal network were of Algerian origin.
    Chief Superintendent Bob Carr said: "The operation was designed to ensure the maximum amount of evidence was secured with the minimum risk to all concerned.
    "We had to plan for there being a number of people in each of the 19 premises as well as in the street." Scroll down for more...
    A man is taken away by for questioning in one of a series of swoops

The swoops were the second phase in a day of raids targeting looselyconnected crime networks. A further 500 officers led dawn raids at 37 addresses across the capital.

In Blackstock Road, officers handed out leaflets in English and Arabic to explain the operation.
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

Shoestring is offline Please dont check the trunk...
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    This is not over-kill, this is great police work! Hit them fast, hard and with numbers, Hell Yeah, NICE WORK!
    Somebody Please, what the hell is that smell?

"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."

The views, opinions, stupid off the cuff comments, mouthy, obnoxious, thoughtless, etc etc etc are not always or even some of the time the belief of my department, so bugger off!

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Wow!

What do the letters on the helmets stand for?

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    The letters are police station designation codes, so you can see where your team is etc.

GD is City Road, NI Islington and so on.
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan 42 View Post
    The letters are police station designation codes, so you can see where your team is etc.

GD is City Road, NI Islington and so on.
    I thought it was to distract the criminals by making them wonder what the acronyms stand for!

Standard Dave is offline Constable
    I bet the property officer was not very pleased

I doubt the custody sgts would be that chuffed either
    "all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" Edmund Burke.
    "the world is a dangerous place place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who do not do anything about it" Albert Einstein

narcodog is offline Rookie
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Where's he ACLU, my God that would be a great thing if we all could do it occasionally. Awesome.
    "A Knights Oath
    A Knight is sworn to valor; His Heart only knows virtue; His Blade defends the helpless; His Might upholds the weak; His Words speak only the truth; His Wrath undoes the wicked"

Aspire to Inspire

Standard Dave is offline Constable
    Quote Originally Posted by narcodog View Post
    Where's he ACLU, my God that would be a great thing if we all could do it occasionally. Awesome.
    If you worked for an agency with 30,000 officers you could probably do that every so often.
    "all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" Edmund Burke.
    "the world is a dangerous place place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who do not do anything about it" Albert Einstein

jim dandy is offline Jim Dandy, Black Oak Arkansas
    Tha looks like fun. When I started with the Sheriff's Office we had 4 Deputies, when I retired it was 11. We were happy if we just had another guy to go on break with.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Standard Dave View Post
    If you worked for an agency with 30,000 officers you could probably do that every so often.
    We have only one such agency in the United States.

Nice work to the Met!
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Just KC is offline Who?......Me?
    Quote Originally Posted by jim dandy View Post
    Tha looks like fun. When I started with the Sheriff's Office we had 4 Deputies, when I retired it was 11. We were happy if we just had another guy to go on break with.
    Wow! I can't imagine lol

I think we have around 4000 deputies...maybe a lil less.
    ~Karie

"I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I'm wondering how many of the baddies needed a change of shorts just looking at that wave coming down the street.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Thread Information