Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Norm357 is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2

In case there was any doubt that my County Sheriff is an asshat.

Taken from todays ajc.com...

Clayton sheriff bans police from interviewing inmates
    Want to interview suspects? Give me stats, lawman says

By KATHY JEFCOATS
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
    Published on: 03/28/08
    Clayton County Sheriff Victor Hill issued an order this week barring Clayton police detectives from interviewing inmates in the county jail, apparently in retaliation for not getting burglary statistics from police.
    Clayton police Chief Jeff Turner said Hill's actions Wednesday constitutes obstruction of justice, and he plans to ask state officials for help reversing the order.
    Recent headlines:

More Clayton County news
    "He is definitely obstructing justice," Turner said, "especially in cases where there are additional victims or co-perpetrators still walking the streets. His actions are putting the public in harm's way, there's no way around that."
    The order was signed by jail Maj. Lawrence Ethridge. Neither Hill nor Ethridge responded to a request for comment or clarification on this issue.
    As in many Georgia counties, Clayton police investigate crimes and arrest suspects, and the Clayton sheriff operates the jail that houses them while they are awaiting trial.
    Turner said his detectives went to the jail Friday morning to interview a child molestation suspect. They were turned away by staff members on orders from Hill and Ethridge, Turner said.
    Hill reportedly sent word to the detectives through his staff that they would have access to inmates if the police department had provided information on burglary cases in the county, Turner said.
    Hill apparently intends to form his own burglary task force, he said.
    "But that information is accessible by him anyway, through the county's computer system," Turner said. "He doesn't need our permission or help in getting that information. I guess he just wants us to do his job for him. This just shows how childish he is being."
    This clash between Hill and Clayton County is the latest since Hill took office three years ago.
    Hill kicked off his first day in office by firing more than two dozen deputies. A judge ordered them rehired, and a lawsuit followed. A $7 million settlement to the deputies was agreed to in June, but several million more were spent on legal fees.
    In Georgia, besides operating the county jail, sheriffs typically serve warrants and maintain the courthouse. But Hill has tried to expand on those services by forming specialized crime-fighting units that have existed at the police department for years.
    Hill, a former police officer and colleague of Turner's, has made no secret that he wants to abolish the police department and transfer manpower and equipment to his office. He once sent Turner an e-mail admonishing him and signing it, "Your future employer."
    Turner said Hill's latest antics is "disappointing."
    "The citizens of Clayton County only want him to do the right thing, what's expected," Turner said. "And we want to do our jobs, which we can't do effectively."
    Cooperation between jail officials and investigating law enforcement agencies is vital in preparing criminal prosecutions.
    Henry County police Capt. Jason Bolton said criminal cases could not be made without access to incarcerated suspects.
    "Often times, the detective or officer is unable to interview a suspect before he or she is arrested, especially if the suspect doesn't want to be found," Bolton said.
    "A jailhouse interview, once the person has been apprehended, may be the only opportunity law enforcement has to speak with a suspect and possibly obtain a confession," Bolton said. "To take that opportunity away from the investigating officer would seriously hinder the investigation."
    Additionally, Hill will not allow mug shots to be given to detectives, hindering photo line-ups, another investigative tool. Bolton said access to the photos that are maintained at the jail is important to detectives.
    "All of our photographic line-ups come from mug shots maintained at the jail," Bolton said. "Being restricted from conducting line-ups would leave quite a bit of cases unsolved."
    dlefdal said:
    Ummmm, what if I don't like thumbs in my butt?

Terminator is offline BANNED
    This guy is unbelievable. It's amazing that he can remain in power considering his incompetence.

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    I wonder if he and his Deputies can be arrested for obstruction?
    dlefdal said:

narcodog is offline Rookie
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    He is such an ass wipe. I have been told and not verified through snoops that he drives a purple PT Cruiser with a "V" shaped blue light in the grill.
    "A Knights Oath
    A Knight is sworn to valor; His Heart only knows virtue; His Blade defends the helpless; His Might upholds the weak; His Words speak only the truth; His Wrath undoes the wicked"

Aspire to Inspire

Quote Originally Posted by Norm357 View Post
    I wonder if he and his Deputies can be arrested for obstruction?
    I'm unsure. I am sure one of our Georgia LEO's can tell you. I know in N.C. only the Coroner can arrest the Sheriff.

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by narcodog View Post
    He is such an ass wipe. I have been told and not verified through snoops that he drives a purple PT Cruiser with a "V" shaped blue light in the grill.

Nope. He rides in an unmarked Charger. He has a driver and 24 hour bodyguards. I hate the fucker.
    dlefdal said:

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    I'm unsure. I am sure one of our Georgia LEO's can tell you. I know in N.C. only the Coroner can arrest the Sheriff.

Clayton County does not have a Coroner. He is currently in the Federal Prision system.
    dlefdal said:

Clayton County does not have a Coroner. He is currently in the Federal Prision system.
    I'd suggest moving out of the county.

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    I'd suggest moving out of the county.

And let the asshats win?
    dlefdal said:

And let the asshats win?

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    What's the rationale behind that?

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    No clue but it's the same here.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Twan007 is offline The People
    Verified LEO
    supposedly the Sheriff is supposed to have the public's best in mind... he's elected after all... so with that being said, he's the highest law enforcement official in his respective parish/county...
    since he's the highest law enforcement official... it has to be someone outside of the LEO community who can arrest him... and if i remember right, it's similar to a PEC...

hope that helped some Jenna
    -=Twan007

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in alignment with his employer. Matter of fact, the poster will deny any knowledge of any post... this message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Twan007 View Post
    supposedly the Sheriff is supposed to have the public's best in mind... he's elected after all... so with that being said, he's the highest law enforcement official in his respective parish/county...
    since he's the highest law enforcement official... it has to be someone outside of the LEO community who can arrest him... and if i remember right, it's similar to a PEC...

hope that helped some Jenna
    OK, makes sense.

Why a coroner, though, rather than someone like a judge or a mayor? What does expertise in cutting up dead bodies have to do with arresting a sheriff? Does a coroner even have training for making arrests?

Twan007 is offline The People
    Verified LEO
    OK, makes sense.

Why a coroner, though, rather than someone like a judge or a mayor? What does expertise in cutting up dead bodies have to do with arresting a sheriff? Does a coroner even have training for making arrests?
    a coroner can PEC someone (Physician's Emergency Commitment) - which is what i think he is technically doing when he arrests the Sheriff... I've never heard of it being done...

something do to with when the SHTF - the Sheriff and Coroner are gonna fight it out...

judge - has to do with criminal justice
    mayor... Sheriff is over the whole parish/county - mayor is over a city in the parish/county

unless I'm mistaken... state police can't touch him... and he can tell them to beat street if he doesn't want them in his parish... (could be wrong on that tho)

kinda like the late great Sheriff Harry Lee in Jefferson Parish... he WAS the law there for a very very long time... and everyone knew it...
    figure they keep electing some of these wackos... so the people must like what they're doing =/
    -=Twan007

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in alignment with his employer. Matter of fact, the poster will deny any knowledge of any post... this message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Twan007 View Post
    something do to with when the SHTF - the Sheriff and Coroner are gonna fight it out...
    I guess the Coroner could inject the Sheriff with a tranquilizer if the Sheriff goes crazy or something.

Thanks for the explanation.

narcodog is offline Rookie
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    In Ga. the coroner was the next in line if the Sheriff vacated the post either by arrest or death. Now the coroner will take over only if the Sheriff dies while in office.. They are both Constitutional officers that goes back to the old days when the counties only had a Sheriff, Ordinary (commissioner), clerk of the Superior Court and Probate Judge that were elected. Most other Judges were in a circuit.
    "A Knights Oath
    A Knight is sworn to valor; His Heart only knows virtue; His Blade defends the helpless; His Might upholds the weak; His Words speak only the truth; His Wrath undoes the wicked"

Aspire to Inspire

213th is offline Solipsist
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    wow...what an idiot
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO
    I have also heard the rationale that "back when" the coroner was a M.D. and usually the most learned man in the county,therefore should be intelligent enough to make such a decision.

Thread Information