Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    k-9max is offline K9 Officer
    Verified LEO

NEW POISONOUS SPIDER IN THE UNITED STATES

FYI
    NEW POISONOUS SPIDER IN THE UNITED STATES
    A spider bite....please read............

And you thought the brown recluse was bad!!!
    Three women in North Florida , turned up at hospitals over a 5-day period, all with the same symptoms. Fever, chills, and vomiting, followed by muscular collapse, paralysis, and finally, death.

There were no outward signs of trauma. Autopsy results showed toxicity in the blood..
    These women did not know each other, and seemed to have nothing in common
    It was discovered, however, that they had all visited the same restaurant (Olive Garden) within days of their deaths. The health department descended on the restaurant, shutting it down. The food, water, and air conditioning were all inspected and tested, to no avail.

The big break came when a waitress at the restaurant was rushed to the hospital with similar symptoms . She told doctors that she had been on vacation, and had only went to the resta urant to pick up her check.

She did not eat or drink while she was there, but had used the restroom.

That is when one toxicologist, remembering an article he had read, drove out to the restaurant, went into the restroom, and lifted the toilet seat.. Under the seat, out of normal view, was a small spider.

The spider was captured and brought back to the lab, where it was determined to be the Two-Striped Telamonia (Telamonia dimidiata ), so named because of its reddened flesh color. This spider's venom is extremely toxic, but can take several days to take effect. They live in cold, dark, damp climates, and toilet rims provide just the right atmosphere.

Several days later a lawyer from Jacksonville showed up at a hospital emergency room. Before his death, he told the doctor, that he had been away on business, had taken a flight from Indonesia , changing planes in Singapore , before returning home. He did not visit (Olive Garden), while there.

He did, as did all of the other victims, have what was determined to be a puncture wound, on his ri ght buttock
    Investigators discovered that the flight he was on had originated in India
    The Civilian Aer onautics Board (CAB) ordered an immediate inspection of the toilets of all flights from India , and discovered the Two-Striped Telamonia spider's nests on 4 different planes!
    It is now b elieved that these spiders can be anywhere in the country.

So please, before you use a public toilet, lift the seat to check for spiders.

It can save your life!
    And please pass this on to everyone you care about.
    YEAH, IM THE BERRIES, AND CHERRIES IN YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    Eat it, Play with it, or piss on it, and walk away!

As smart as man is, we haven't been able to invent a machine that can smell drugs or tell us where a person has walked, Dogs are sophisticated investigative tools!

213th is offline Solipsist
    Ok...I'm not a big fan of snopes, but they do say it's false.
    http://www.snopes.com/horrors/insects/telamonia.asp

there really is a Telamonia dimidiata spider, information on which can be found here.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telamonia_dimidiata

and according to wikianswers, it's not poisoness
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Name_the_t...onia_dimidiata

He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Ender is offline Three Sheets...
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    This is simply a ploy to get men to raise the toilet seat.
    --

Ender

"And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon..."

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    This is simply a ploy to get men to raise the toilet seat.
    Or to keep women from bitching when it's not put back down?
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    I guess it works both ways!

"but honey, its FOR YOUR SAFETY."
    --

Ender

"And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon..."

samurai361 is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    That ain't gonna happen.

I'm more afraid of spiders than of snakes. There are some snakes that are not poisonous, and none of the ones here in the US usually cause death if they DO bite. However, ALL spiders are poisonous, it's just that they don't cause humans to die. Since I don't know what a Brown Recluse looks like, I will KILL any brown spider that I come into contact with. Black widows are easy, but I don't take many chances with shiny black ones either. Screw em, there's millions of em, so it's not as if I'm going to make them extinct.

One day I drove one of our FTOs take home cars to his house following him in his personal car. I generally drive a police car with the windows down just a little, and a spider blew in on my face. I jumped out of a moving car screaming like a little girl. Somehow I managed to put it in neutral, and it rolled up in somebody's yard. That was more than 4 years ago, and he's still mad about it.

k-9max is offline K9 Officer
    Verified LEO
    A spider is a spider. I dont care if its false or not, they are still fucking scary!
    Yes, i am afriad of fucking spiders.
    YEAH, IM THE BERRIES, AND CHERRIES IN YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    Eat it, Play with it, or piss on it, and walk away!

As smart as man is, we haven't been able to invent a machine that can smell drugs or tell us where a person has walked, Dogs are sophisticated investigative tools!

213th is offline Solipsist
    I hate spiders. They all must die. MAPP gas torches do quite a number on them.
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    That little Brown Recluse we have here is a scary little thing - It's not aggressive (when it bites you, it's generally because you accidentally step on it, or it's in a towel that you wipe off with).

But the flesh can sometimes die down deep, and sluffs off. Sometimes doctors have to cut down deep around the wound and sacrifice healthy tissue to keep the poison from spreading into even more healthy tissue. There was one lady I saw once who had a golfball-size chunk of flesh surgically removed.

We have black widows all over the place too - I've had them in the garage, and under rocks and bricks I've picked up. usually they have a random white web with no pattern to it, like a very thin tuft of that Christmas angel hair stuff. So if you have them you kinda keep an eye out for that anytime you lift a rock or start digging through stuff in the garage.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

osugirlP103 is offline Officer First Class
    Quote Originally Posted by 213th View Post
    I hate spiders. They all must die. MAPP gas torches do quite a number on them.
    same here
    LAW ENFORCEMENT HELPING"PERPS" SLIP DOWN STAIRS SINCE 1766!

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    We no long have any posionous shit in Western Washington, but I learned to hate spiders in Texas.

There is a spider that looks like a green or yellow tarantula there, that the cadre called a banana spider. That son of a bitch would put up webs right out of the movies and set in the middle of them. When you went running around playing war games, you'd end up with one of them right on your face and a shitload of web wrapped around you.

Shiver.

I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by samurai361 View Post
    That ain't gonna happen.
    However, ALL spiders are poisonous, it's just that they don't cause humans to die.
    Well, if you want to nit pick (i'm bored, okay!), spiders are venomous, not poisonous. poison is typically absorbed or ingested, whereas venom is injected.

I don't see what ya'll are freaking out about. I'll let a spider walk on me, doesn't bug me one bit, unless its a dangerous type one.

Now...bees/wasps/hornets/etc...I'll run from them screaming like a 4th grade girl who just skinned her knee.
    --

Ender

PSDIVERTOM is offline Banned
    That's a nice spider you got there maclean. What's the chances of me bringing a flame thrower next time I visit Seattle, Tacoma, and Bremerton areas just in case???

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    Try hitting one of those face first on an ATV trail at night. They are famous for building a web across a trail then squatting right in the middle of it.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cidp24 View Post
    Try hitting one of those face first on an ATV trail at night. They are famous for building a web across a trail then squatting right in the middle of it.
    I ran into one while firing a blank adapted M249 on the run.

You boys in the south keep that shit down there!
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post

*rocking back and forth* don't let the spider get me daddy, don't let the spider get me, daddy. don't let the spider get me, daddy!
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO
    The Banana spider is a scary looking MoFo,BUT,if you have horses they are great to have around the stalls,cause those big ass webs can save you a fortune in bug spray

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Give me the bugs any day.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Cidp24 View Post
    Give me the bugs any day.

--

Ender

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    When I was 10, I found a spider in my closet. I had recently read Charlotte's Web, so I was feeling sympathetic toward spiders, and thought "Hey, why not just let it live in a corner of my closet? It's not doing any harm!" and let it be instead of killing it.

A few weeks later, my closet was fully of tiny baby spiders and they were all over my clothes as well. I had to take all my clothes out and wash them, and use a hose to spray the entire closet with water. Still, for about a year after that, I periodically found spiders that had escaped, all over my room.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information