Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Standoff with polygamous sect in Texas

ELDORADO, Texas - Law enforcement manned a roadblock miles from a polygamist temple where sect leaders refused to let authorities enter to search for a teenager whose report of abuse initiated a raid on the West Texas compound.

Authorities provided no details early Sunday about the standoff.

Allison Palmer, a prosecutor in Tom Green County, told the San Angelo Standard-Times that medical workers were sent to the compound "in case this were to a go in a way that no one wants." She had said authorities will forcibly remove the sect's followers "as peaceably as possible" if no agreement could be reached.

A stream of ambulances and law-enforcement vehicles left the compound late Saturday.

A bus that appeared to be filled with women was parked early Sunday at a civic center south of town, where a lawyer and law-enforcement officials were talking with them.

Authorities are searching for a 16-year-old mother whose report of alleged abuse led to a search of the secretive religious retreat built by polygamist leader Warren Jeffs.

"Things have been a little tense, a little volatile," Palmer said Saturday.

Palmer could not be reached for comment early Sunday. Other authorities, citing a gag order, continued to decline to comment.

State welfare officials have removed nearly 200 women and children from the compound, operated by the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

"They seem to be doing fine," Marleigh Meisner, a spokeswoman for Child Protective Services, told The Associated Press.

Troopers armed with a search warrant raided the compound on Friday to look for evidence of a marriage between the girl and 50-year-old Dale Barlow.

The girl had a baby eight months ago, when she was 15, according to court documents. Under Texas law, girls younger than 16 cannot marry, even with parental approval.

Barlow's probation officer told The Salt Lake Tribune that he was in Arizona.

"He said the authorities had called him (in Colorado City, Ariz.) and some girl had accused him of assaulting her and he didn't even know who she was," said Bill Loader, a probation officer in Arizona.

Barlow was sentenced to jail time last year after pleading no contest to conspiracy to commit sexual conduct with a minor. He was also ordered to register as a sex offender for three years while he is on probation.

His lawyer in that case, Bruce Griffen, said he had not spoken to Barlow in a year.

The search warrant instructed officers to look for marriage records or other evidence linking her to the man and the baby. The warrant authorized the seizure of computer drives, CDs, DVDs or photos.

Those inside the retreat did not respond to requests for comment.

The Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints broke away from the Mormon church after the latter disavowed polygamy more than a century ago.

The compound sits down a narrow paved road and behind a hill that shields it almost entirely from view in town. Only the 80-foot-high, gleaming white temple can be seen on the horizon.

The 1,700-acre property had been an exotic game ranch. It is surrounded by dusty, wind-swept land where sheep are raised and mohair produced.

Eldorado (pronounced el-dor-AY'-do) is a two-stoplight town of fewer than 2,000 people and located nearly 200 miles northwest of San Antonio. It consists of a cluster of government buildings, a couple churches and a few blocks of houses.

State officials said they did not know how many people lived at the retreat. Local officials estimated two years ago that about 150 people were there.

The sect has been led by Warren Jeffs since his father died in 2002. In November, Jeffs was sentenced to two consecutive sentences of five years to life in prison in Utah for being an accomplice to the rape of a 14-year-old girl who wed her cousin in an arranged marriage in 2001.

In Arizona, Jeffs is charged as an accomplice with four counts each of incest and sexual conduct with a minor stemming from two arranged marriages between teenage girls and their older male relatives. He is jailed in Kingman, Ariz., awaiting trial.

By MICHELLE ROBERTS, Associated Press Writer

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080406/...ist_retreat_28

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Warning. Religious content below. I don't want to offend anyone on the board.

I was going to post this but decided to wait until someone else put it on the board.

Warren Jeffs needs to spend the rest of his life in prison for his activities in my opinion. Anyone who has anything to do with knocking up 14-15 yr old girls in this country under any circumstances has something wrong in his head. Arranged marriages or not.

Please understand that this is the Fundamentalist LDS church (if you want to call it that) and is in no way to be associated with the main body of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. In fact, if you are caught practicing polygamy and belong to the main body of the LDS church, you are subject to being excommunicated on the spot.

Polygamy was abolished when Utah applied to become a state in 1880.

Colorado City, Arizona has long been a sanctuary for the FLDS so that their members can conveniently jump across the border when things got too hot for them in Utah.

In the early stages of the church Polygamy was necessary to further the religion as many of the men were out proselytizing for the church in various locations through out the world, or were dying off through various hardships plaguing families at the time. The women and children in the church needed to be cared for at the time. It was not just anyone who could practice it either. You had to be worthy and called.

http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.js...00176f620a____

Polygamy (Plural Marriage)

The family is ordained of God. Marriage between man and woman is essential to His eternal plan. At certain times and for His specific purposes, God, through His prophets, has directed the practice of plural marriage (sometimes called polygamy), which means one man having more than one living wife at the same time. In obedience to direction from God, Latter-day Saints followed this practice for about 50 years during the 1800s but officially ceased the practice of such marriages after the Manifesto was issued by President Woodruff in 1890. Since that time, plural marriage has not been approved by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and any member adopting this practice is subject to losing his or her membership in the Church.
    Additional Information

The Bible indicates that Abraham, Jacob, and others of the Lord’s servants had multiple wives (see Genesis 16:1–3; 29:23–30; 30:4, 9; Judges 8:30; 1 Samuel 1:1–2). Joseph Smith asked God why He had permitted this practice and was told that God had commanded it for specific purposes. One reason given by the Lord for plural marriage is mentioned in the Book of Mormon: “If I will, saith the Lord of Hosts, raise up seed unto me, I will command my people; otherwise they shall [have only one wife]” (Jacob 2:30; see also v. 27).

After God revealed the doctrine of plural marriage to Joseph Smith in 1831 and commanded him to live it, the Prophet, over a period of years, cautiously taught the doctrine to some close associates. Eventually, he and a small number of Church leaders entered into plural marriages in the early years of the Church. Those who practiced plural marriage at that time, both male and female, experienced a significant trial of their faith. The practice was so foreign to them that they needed and received personal inspiration from God to help them obey the commandment.

When the Saints moved west under the direction of Brigham Young, more Latter-day Saints entered into plural marriages.

Influenced by rumors and exaggerated reports, the United States Congress, beginning in 1862, enacted a series of laws against polygamy that became increasingly harsh. By the 1880s many Latter-day Saint men were imprisoned or went into hiding.

In 1889 in the face of increasing hardships and the threat of government confiscation of Church property, including temples, Wilford Woodruff, President of the Church at the time, prayed for guidance. He was inspired to issue a document that officially ended the sanction of plural marriage by the Church. The document, called the Manifesto, was accepted by Church members in a general conference held in October 1890 and is published in the Doctrine and Covenants as Official Declaration 1 (see also “Excerpts from Three Addresses by President Wilford Woodruff Regarding the Manifesto” following Official Declaration 1).

Just as the practice of plural marriage among the Latter-day Saints began gradually, the ending of the practice after the Manifesto was also gradual. Some plural marriages were performed after the Manifesto, particularly in Mexico and Canada. In 1904, President Joseph F. Smith called for a vote from the Church membership that all post-Manifesto plural marriages be prohibited worldwide.

More recently, President Gordon B. Hinckley has reiterated that plural marriage is “against the law of God. Even in countries where civil or religious law allows [the practice of a man having more than one wife], the Church teaches that marriage must be monogamous and does not accept into its membership those practicing plural marriage” (“What Are People Asking about Us?Ensign, Nov. 1998, 72).

Groups who teach polygamy today are not part of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

CW Mock is offline Trooper
    Verified LEO
    I say we send in the Marines and let them deal with them how they normally would a bunch of baby rapers in a potential combat zone.

I have no use for those people and the crap they supposedly believe in. Kudos to the Troopers that went in the first wave. I can imagine that unpleasant thoughts of another standoff against zealots and wackos was never far from their mind.

Keep the pressure up and put them in prison where they belong.
    "I have an open door policy on tickets ... if I have to open my door, you are getting a ticket. If I turn on those lights, somebody has to pay the electric bill."

The opinions given in my posts and comments
    DO NOT reflect any of the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "CW Mock" on LEF/Officer Resource.

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I have good friends who are Mormon. This is NOT Mormonism and most Mormons abhor this behavior. It's good they are wrapping up Jeffs cult.

Escape by Carolyn Jessop is a good book about her escape from that cult. One of her teenage daughters returned to the cult when she was 18. I think the ranch being raided might be where her daughter went to.

http://www.amazon.com/Escape-Carolyn...7588414&sr=8-1
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    I have family friends who are Mormons, and they took in a young woman who escaped with her sister from this cult several years ago. They had both been sexually abused from a very young age. Unfortunately, the sister did not want to stay with my friends and ended up working as a prostitute in Nevada.

This is the same group that excommunicates all their boys when they hit puberty, so they can't compete for wives.

I hope they can find the young girl who called for help - it was a brave thing to do.

**edit**

This cult is also known for having the women file as single mothers to get public assistance - that's where a lot of their income was coming from.

As CTRMan said - they do not reflect the Mormon faith.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Thread Information