Welcome to the APBWeb.
    TheeBadOne is offline Why so serious?
    Verified LEO

Cop uses Taser on 2 year old

TASER Device Helps Save Toddler From Locked Car
    Thursday April 10, 4:58 pm ET

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz., April 10, 2008 (PRIME NEWSWIRE) -- TASER International, Inc. (NasdaqGS:TASR - News), a market leader in advanced electronic control devices (ECDs) released the following NEWS ALERT:

According to a report from KIRO TV in Seattle, WA, a Port Angeles Police Officer used a TASER(r) Electronic Control Device (ECD) to help a two-year boy unlock his mother's car after she accidentally left her keys inside.

Port Angeles Police Officer Glenn Wood, who assisted the mother, realized that there was no practical way to unlock the door.

Wood used the TASER ECD's laser to distract the toddler and lead him to one of the doors.

As reported on KIRO-TV, Wood said, ``I have four kids and I know that a 2-year-old loose in the car is as good as a trunk monkey if you can just figure out how to motivate him to do what you want.'' Wood yelled, ``Get the dot!'' the toddler began to follow the laser. Eventually, Wood was able to lead the boy to the door lock with the laser dot. On the fourth attempt, the toddler finally hit the unlock button.

The complete story is available at: http://www.kirotv.com/news/15839269/...=sea&psp=news.
    "When I'm driving along and I see a sign that says, CAUTION: SMALL CHILDREN AHEAD,
    I slow down, and then it occurs to me, I'm not afraid of small children"!

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by TheeBadOne View Post
    ``I have four kids and I know that a 2-year-old loose in the car is as good as a trunk monkey if you can just figure out how to motivate him to do what you want.'' Wood yelled, ``Get the dot!'' the toddler began to follow the laser. Eventually, Wood was able to lead the boy to the door lock with the laser dot. On the fourth attempt, the toddler finally hit the unlock button.

That is a great story! Kudos to the officer.

Of course, I do hope the mother hadn't left the child in the car while she ran an errand or something.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    That is awesome.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post

That is a great story! Kudos to the officer.

Of course, I do hope the mother hadn't left the child in the car while she ran an errand or something.

Not uncommon.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I'm just so glad that a cop didn't taser a 2 year old.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Fantastic!
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Twan007 is online now The People
    Verified LEO
    great way to think out of the box

and kick the mom for leaving the kid in the car =P
    -=Twan007

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in alignment with his employer. Matter of fact, the poster will deny any knowledge of any post... this message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Twan007 View Post
    great way to think out of the box

and kick the mom for leaving the kid in the car =P
    I've charged people twice lately (child neglect) for leaving kids in the car while they go shopping. In one of the cases both mom and dad left small children while they both went together to the same store. Call me redundant but either my wife or me will stay with the kids while the other runs inside if we aren't taking them all with us.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    When I saw the title... I was dreading to see what the situation was that a cop zapped a 2 year old!

Instead -- great original thinking... (And even if the Taser had gone off, I doubt it'd have penetrated the windows! 'Cuz I'm sure some genius out there is raising that possibility!)
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Very misleading title! But I'm VERY happy to read this story and not what I was expecting. Great thinking by that Officer...
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    that rocks!
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

Ender is offline Three Sheets...
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Jks9199 View Post
    Instead -- great original thinking... (And even if the Taser had gone off,
    I figured he just took the cartridge off first
    --

Ender

"And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon..."

Deputy Joe is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Here is the story you all were thinking was going to be here.

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz., April 10, 2008 (PRIME NEWSWIRE) -- TASER International, Inc. (NasdaqGS:TASR - News), a market leader in advanced electronic control devices (ECDs) released the following NEWS ALERT:

Following a tense standoff at bedtime, Mo M. Theyear called the Scottsdale Police Department to help bring this situation to a close. Two Scottsdale officers arrived on scene and quickly assessed the situation. Little Johnny wouldn't go to bed. The child quickly moved toward the cops and they were left with no choice but to defend themselves from an impeding attack.

An unnamed officer deployed the taser at the two year old. The two year old was then taken into custody without incident.

A police spokesperson stated, "He was saying something, but the officers couldn't understand what he was saying. He had his hands around a teddy bear. He could have had anything in the teddy bear. Our officers were genuinely concerned for their safety." The spokesperson went on to say that the child was not injured and ended up going to bed since there is no facility for toddlers in Scottsdale.

ex401mp is offline Was betrachten Sie?
    Verified LEO
    Thats a smart idea. Good for that guy who thought of that. I will try to remember that if I run into a similar situation one day.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American G.I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom. ~ Anon

si hic carrus commovet non quaerete

RIP Scott L. Roth- Pfc 1st Platoon,401st MP Co, KIA 12/20/89- Operation Just Cause- Not forgotten.
    ALWAYS FIRST!!!

nsb22 is offline Crazilicious
    I think it's funny as hell he referred to the kid as being like a "trunk monkey"!!!! LMAO

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear."
    -- Ambrose Redmoon

The views and postings of NSB22 are in no way shared or supported by NSB22's employers.

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by nsb22 View Post
    I think it's funny as hell he referred to the kid as being like a "trunk monkey"!!!! LMAO
    I am so glad I am not the only one who thought that was funny. Thanks NSB.

Good thinking on the officer's part...really...very ingenious!
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

Thread Information