Welcome to the APBWeb.

View Poll Results: Should Ohio allow concealed weapons on campus?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

20 80.00%
  • No

5 20.00%
    Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Ohio Considers Allowing Concealed Weapons On Campuses

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/15880186/detail.html

CLEVELAND -- It's been almost a year since the Virginia Tech massacre and it will be eight years next week since the Columbine shootings.

Some Ohio lawmakers are pushing new plans to allow students to carry concealed weapons at public universities.

Some students are in favor of such a law, saying that's might be what it would take to stop the next campus gunman, NewsChannel5 reported.

"Would you rather just sit there cowering at a desk when someone executes you or would you rather have a chance to defend your life? That's what it really boils down to," said Ohio student Michael Flitcraft.

Ohio is one of at least eight states currently considering allowing guns on campus, but supporters know they have an uphill battle.

Flitcraft is licensed to carry a concealed weapon on the streets but can't bring it to school.

"To me it makes no sense that I can defend myself legally over there but I am a felon if I step on the grass over here," said Flitcraft.

Utah, Colorado and Virginia already allow guns on campus, though it's up to school officials to set policy.

Still, most students aren't convinced and say that the idea scares them.

Since 1966, there have been about a dozen college campus shootings. As tragic as they were, experts contend campuses are still among the safest places for young adults.

"I don't think the answer to bullets flying is to send more bullets flying," said Ron Hold, of Weber State University.

The security chief at University of Cincinnati thinks the idea is a recipe for disaster.

"Someone is shooting. The officer responds to the scene. There is a person there with a gun in their hand. Now is that the bad guy or is that a citizen who is trying to help out?" said Gene Ferrara.

Flitcraft said he won't give up.

"I do see in the future eventually. It might take 10 or 15 years for it happen but people being able to defend their lives on campus," he said.

The proposal is gain support. A national advocacy group, Students for Concealed Carry on Campus, signed up thousands of people in recent months, bringing its membership to 25,000.

It's about time!
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Ender is offline Three Sheets...
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    good for Ohio! a step in the right direction
    --

Ender

"And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon..."

depusm12 is offline Patrolman
    Verified LEO
    I think its a good idea myself
    James
    Dept of the Army Civilian Police
    "Loyalty above all else, except Honor"
    Never forget those who fell on 9/11/01
    S&W beats 4 Aces every time

213th is offline Solipsist
    Awesome!!! Bout time they do that.
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Just KC is offline Who?......Me?
    Gosh...I don't know. Makes it even easier for someone to get a gun on campus. Odds greater of something accidentally happening, bystander getting shot, someone depressed or suicidal would have easy access to gun. Not sure I agree with this. JMO
    ~Karie

"I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

213th is offline Solipsist
    Allowing law abiding citizens to carry guns doesn't make it any easier whatsoever at all for criminals to break laws. It only allows law abiding citizens to defend themselves. To keep law abiding citizens from defending themselves appropriately is a very bad idea.
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Ender is offline Three Sheets...
    Supporting Member Lvl 3

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Just KC View Post
    Gosh...I don't know. Makes it even easier for someone to get a gun on campus. Odds greater of something accidentally happening, bystander getting shot, someone depressed or suicidal would have easy access to gun. Not sure I agree with this. JMO
    I sincerely hope I missed your sarcasm there
    --

Ender

"And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon..."

Terminator is offline BANNED
    This is a very hot topic debate which we've had before, here. Not everyone is for allowing carrying weapons on campus.

Poll added.

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    I think It's a great Idea. If you have a CCW permit I see no reason to limit your ability to protect yourself. As we all know the police can't be everywhere to protect you and with escalating calls for service it's gonna get so you have to take a number and wait in line for a mass murder in progress.

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Pudge113 View Post
    The security chief at University of Cincinnati thinks the idea is a recipe for disaster.

"Someone is shooting. The officer responds to the scene. There is a person there with a gun in their hand. Now is that the bad guy or is that a citizen who is trying to help out?" said Gene Ferrara.
    welcome to ACTUAL FUCKING POLICE WORK, Mr. Mall Ninja!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

dadyswat is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    MY God Pudge we're going to have all the bleeding heart liberals in an up roar if they pass that and I believe they're looking at the stand your ground law as well.

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dadyswat View Post
    MY God Pudge we're going to have all the bleeding heart liberals in an up roar if they pass that and I believe they're looking at the stand your ground law as well.
    And if ever a state has produced some real whiners for liberals, its Ohio.

This is a great idea and I hope it passes.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

oldtrooper is offline Rookie
    No matter how fast the police can respond look at how many die before that happens. There is no ablolute way to prevent a derranged person from slippping a gun onto any campus. Having CCW individuals that have passed the background and some form of proficiency training sending a few bullets back at the perp would likely save lives.

Thread Information