Welcome to the APBWeb.
    carolina is offline Master Officer

This Officer could use your help!

I thought this was pretty kewl, and thought many of you might be interested in helping boost the ratings on this one.

By Julie N. Chang
    jchang@morganton.com
    Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Give your opinion on this story

Morganton - Local residents can point and click daily until May to vote for a local law enforcement officer in a national online competition.
    Voting starts Thursday to select the winner of America's Most Wanted All-Star competition. Detective Martin Lawing, 32, of the Burke County Sheriff's Office was named the Week 3 finalist in March.
    The competition honors first responders, "who go above and beyond to keep our communities safe," across the U.S., and Lawing is one of eight finalists. Anyone can vote, and voters can cast their votes once a day, every day through May 5.
    The grand prize package includes two tickets to the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series All-Star Race in Charlotte and $10,000.
    If he wins, the money from the competition would go toward helping Lawing pay his medical bills.
    Lawing, a member of the SWAT team, was shot in the neck when officers served Eva Joyce Nelson, 60, of Morganton, with involuntary commitment papers. Nelson did not cooperate for hours resulting in a stand off.
    When officers unsuccessfully attempted to throw a bag phone into Nelson's residence, Lawing was shot. The injury left Lawing paralyzed from the chest down but with limited movement in his arms.
    Maj. David Pendley with the sheriff's office said Lawing didn't hesitate to put his life on the line for the public. Pendley said Lawing's exemplary actions have inspired the community to gather together and support him through various fundraisers, including one Saturday at Optimistic R.V. Resort.
    Lawing's standing as a finalist is another example of how the community continues to support a fallen officer, Pendley said.
    Lt. Alex Cobb said Lawing is appreciative of the support and concern from the community. Cobb said Lawing is now in a day program at the Shepherd Center in Atlanta, Ga. He attends therapy and classes five times a week at the center.
    "He's able to go back home with his wife and children and stay in a family setting," Cobb said. The recovery process is slow, but Lawing is slowly regaining motion in his arms and hands, Cobb added.
    "We go down to boost his spirits, but he always boosts ours," Pendley said of Lawing's morale.
    To vote online visit www.amw.com/allstar.

Subscribe to the Newspaper

http://www.morganton.com/servlet/Sat...h=%21frontpage

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. - Leo Buscaglia

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Done.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Another vote from me.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    I voted.
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    Done.
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

PapaBear is offline SgtCHP-Retired
    Okay, that was easy enough. I pray for his recovery soon and that he lives a long and happy life. Hope he wins.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.
    [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Another vote for Martin Lawing

But Carolina, why do I see a photo of CountyBear in a NetFlix commercial when I click the 2nd web link at the top of your post?

Well, dang, they removed CountyBear and then the ad went to coupons for adult diapers. Must be a connection

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

sweetpea is offline Master Officer
    One more vote here
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f.../ukbluejw2.gif

"When you feel dog tired at night, it may be because you've growled all day long."

Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie View Post
    Another vote for Martin Lawing

But Carolina, why do I see a photo of CountyBear in a NetFlix commercial when I click the 2nd web link at the top of your post?

Well, dang, they removed CountyBear and then the ad went to coupons for adult diapers. Must be a connection

That's too funny! He actually looks like the God Father!

You guy's/gal's are great! I have notice that Martin has stayed in the top three since I posted this. I don't know him personally, but my daughter goes to class (she is in her 2nd year of Criminal Justice Classes) with a lot of folks that do. I know that if he got lucky enough to win, his family would appreciate the help on the medical bills.

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. - Leo Buscaglia

Probation13-901 is offline Master Officer
    One for me too.

Thanks Everyone!

Martin did win!!!

http://www.amw.com/allstar/2008/

Martin Lawing
    Deputy
    Burke County Sheriff's Office
    Morganton, NC

During a SWAT team operation in Burke County, North Carolina on December 11, 2007, Deputy Martin Lawing was critically injured and paralyzed by a single shot fired by a barricaded subject. When Deputy Lawing attempted to deploy a "throw phone" into the home of the subject, he was struck in the neck between his helmet and ballistic vest. Martin is currently undergoing physical therapy in Atlanta for an injury that has physically changed him forever.

Thread Information