Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Man in prison for murder beat and rapes on-duty female corrections officer

Authorities in Florida say a man awaiting trial for murder beat and raped a female corrections officer in a jail library.
    Sheriff John Rutherford says a 26-year-old inmate used a makeshift knife Thursday morning to overpower the officer in the Duval County jail library in Jacksonville.
    He says the officer was beaten but not stabbed. She was taken to a hospital, but her condition was not released.
    Rutherford says the inmate was taken into custody without resistance.
    The man is awaiting trial on charges including murder, arson and armed robbery.

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    how awful for that corrections officer!

I have wondered though... and maybe corrections folks can help me with an answer?....
    women who work in mens jails... do they have more or less problems?
    would it seem a good idea for women to work in women jails and men to work in men jails?
    I only ask because they dont carry guns with them in there and as a woman I know I cannot over power a man... I can fight dirty but one good hit and well... it could be all over... was just curious
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

2525 is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Full story here (also has embedded video):

http://www.dreamindemon.com/2008/04/...tions-officer/

Jacksonville - Jonathan Tave was in the Duval County jail, was awaiting trial on charges of murder, premeditated murder, arson, armed robbery, possession of a firearm by convicted felon, and battery on detention officer. After Thursday morning, you can add four counts of sexual battery, aggravated battery of a law enforcement officer, kidnapping, two counts of depriving an officer of a means of protection of communication, possession of a concealed weapon by a felon and two counts of evidence tampering. This after he used a homemade knife to beat and rape a female corrections officer in the law library located on the fifth floor.

The woman is a veteran officer and was also a paralegal. She worked in the library and regularly assisted prisoners with legal research. The library is one of the areas of the jail that is not monitored by surveillance cameras. No procedures were violated, as it is common for pre-detention inmates to walk around inside the jail because they’re monitored by indirect supervision and officers control the doors and elevators inside.

“Through intercom systems we notify inmates it’s time for them to report to certain areas and they come out of their cells and traverse the hallways. So, in that respect you have to rely on their cooperativeness,” Jail Director Gordon Bass said.

In other words, they are confident that while they may be dangerous, the pose no threat to the public as they are contained. The 29-year-old victim carried standard correctional officer equipment consisting of pepper spray, handcuffs and a radio but she was unable to use any of these devices when accosted by the knife wielding, 6 feet 3 inches tall, 230 pound Tave.

“I think this is an indication of the type of people we house in our pretrial detention facility, and the kind of danger our corrections officers, men and women, face every day,” Sheriff John Rutherford said.

===================

How the hell there is no surveillance in the library, I have no idea. In a facility where a man is held on charges of murder, arson, and armed robbery, one would assume that the prisoners are watched everywhere, every minute; damn their stupid rights (yes, I'm talking about the rights that they pissed away when they became assholes).
    "The unforgivable crime is soft hitting. Do not hit at all if it can be avoided; but never hit softly."

"The pacifist is as surely a traitor to his country and to humanity as is the most brutal wrongdoer. "

“Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength.”

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    Through intercom systems we notify inmates it’s time for them to report to certain areas and they come out of their cells and traverse the hallways. So, in that respect you have to rely on their cooperativeness,” Jail Director Gordon Bass said.

I am sorry but cooperativeness????? WTF???????

I really hope that policy changes in that facility
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Quote Originally Posted by 2525 View Post
    How the hell there is no surveillance in the library, I have no idea. In a facility where a man is held on charges of murder, arson, and armed robbery, one would assume that the prisoners are watched everywhere, every minute; damn their stupid rights (yes, I'm talking about the rights that they pissed away when they became assholes).
    How did someone like that have library priveledges in the first place?
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Thread Information