Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Citizen uses little known Oregon statute to charge on-duty officer for illegal parking violation

A CITIZEN who watched a cop illegally park, then walk into a Chinese restaurant to wait for his food, has issued the officer a series of citizen-initiated parking violations.
    Eric Bryant says he was sitting in the SanSai Japanese Grill on NW 21st and Hoyt on March 7 when he witnessed Officer Chad Stensgaard pull up and park his patrol car illegally, next to a "No Parking" sign.
    Stensgaard walked into the restaurant wearing his police uniform, but did not make any arrests or citations. Instead, he turned his attention to the basketball game on television, according to Bryant. When Bryant asked Stensgaard about his vehicle, Stensgaard allegedly acknowledged being in a no-parking zone but asked Bryant, "If someone broke into your house, would you rather have the police be able to park in front of your house or have to park three blocks away and walk there?"
    Bryant returned to his seat, and says shortly afterward he watched a restaurant employee hand the officer a plastic bag before he left. Unfortunately for Officer Stensgaard, Bryant had recently passed the Oregon bar exam, and decided to pursue the matter further.
    "If he had acknowledged and corrected his error, we could have avoided this whole thing," says Bryant. "But instead, he kept watching basketball and told me he wasn't doing anything wrong."
    Now, using ORS 153.058, Bryant—as a private citizen—has initiated violation proceedings against Officer Stensgaard. Bryant alleges Stensgaard was in violation of state statutes on illegal parking, illegal stopping, obeying parking restrictions on state highways, and illegal operation of an emergency vehicle or ambulance—the violations carry fines totaling $540.
    Officer Stensgaard has received a Multnomah County summons to appear in traffic court on May 23. Meanwhile Bryant denies he is just stirring up trouble.
    "Citizens should be concerned that he used his status as an officer of the law as justification for breaking the law," he says.
    Stensgaard declined comment through the cops' office of public information.

Ender is offline Three Sheets...
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Sounds like a real winner. I can see it now: Sorry we were so slow to respond to you, we were parked 1/2 mile away while stopping in to get a soda, asshole.
    --

Ender

"And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon..."

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Sounds like a real winner. I can see it now: Sorry we were so slow to respond to you, we were parked 1/2 mile away while stopping in to get a soda, asshole.
    That's always my justification. Whenever I am at a business on purely personal business, I will make every attempt to park in a designated spot. If it's crowded, etc, I will use a fire lane if need be, or park in a non-designated (but ALWAYS SAFE) area. I would never, however, block a handicap spot, etc. The justification is that I'm allowed my personal time, per policy, but I am still subject to availability for calls. Policy even says that officers must use good judgment in remaining close to their vehicles. State law exempts me from parking laws in the performance of official duties. Therefore, even if I'm running into Walmart for something, and there are no close spots available, I can park in the fire lane because I am still in performance of my duties because I am subject to calls for service. Again, this is only if there isn't any way to avoid it.

As for this case, I would have to know what parking violations he allegedly committed before I could even begin to form an opinion.

This is yet another example of the "us vs. them" mentality.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    A CITIZEN who watched a cop illegally park, then walk into a Chinese restaurant to wait for his food, has issued the officer a series of citizen-initiated parking violations.
    Eric Bryant says he was sitting in the SanSai Japanese Grill on NW 21st and Hoyt on March 7 when he witnessed Officer Chad Stensgaard pull up and park his patrol car illegally, next to a "No Parking" sign.
    Stensgaard walked into the restaurant wearing his police uniform, but did not make any arrests or citations. Instead, he turned his attention to the basketball game on television, according to Bryant. When Bryant asked Stensgaard about his vehicle, Stensgaard allegedly acknowledged being in a no-parking zone but asked Bryant, "If someone broke into your house, would you rather have the police be able to park in front of your house or have to park three blocks away and walk there?"
    Bryant returned to his seat, and says shortly afterward he watched a restaurant employee hand the officer a plastic bag before he left. Unfortunately for Officer Stensgaard, Bryant had recently passed the Oregon bar exam, and decided to pursue the matter further.
    "If he had acknowledged and corrected his error, we could have avoided this whole thing," says Bryant. "But instead, he kept watching basketball and told me he wasn't doing anything wrong."
    Now, using ORS 153.058, Bryant—as a private citizen—has initiated violation proceedings against Officer Stensgaard. Bryant alleges Stensgaard was in violation of state statutes on illegal parking, illegal stopping, obeying parking restrictions on state highways, and illegal operation of an emergency vehicle or ambulance—the violations carry fines totaling $540.
    Officer Stensgaard has received a Multnomah County summons to appear in traffic court on May 23. Meanwhile Bryant denies he is just stirring up trouble.
    "Citizens should be concerned that he used his status as an officer of the law as justification for breaking the law," he says.
    Stensgaard declined comment through the cops' office of public information.
    I bet you LEO's here just love these student lawyer types.

Guess what, Bryant? You just did. Now go hug a tree.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I can bet Mr. Bryant would be the safest driver in Oregon if he lived in my beat. Most people have the common sense to know why we park close when on duty. Ender and 121 have the same idea. Seems some of the public want us to be robots and do everything by the book unless we have them stopped then they want exceptions made. Get a life Mr. Bryant.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Folks have already covered the fact that there are legitimate reasons to park close by. But I gotta wonder WHOSE "No Parking" sign the cop allegedly violated. If it's not an official sign, then there's no enforcement possible. (We used to get tons of complaints of crap like that, like unenforceable handicapped spots, and I'm sure the "stork parking" crap in front of some stores is just as annoying for bogus calls.)

That said -- like 121Traffic said, when I was in patrol, if I was taking care of personal business or even just stopping in a business to say hi... I'd generally park in a space. But on a call, or if there just weren't any reasonable spaces... Yeah, I did some "creative parking." And I still do...

But this is the type of stuff that just annoys people pointlessly, too. And it's worth thinking about... How many times do we do something, and justify it "cause we're the po-po?" It's not a bad bit of community relations to try not to be obnoxious about disregarding signs and parking limits.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by 121Traffic View Post
    That's always my justification.
    And its a damn good one, imo.
    --

Ender

"And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon..."

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    If I was dispatched to a call for service from this asshat, I'd make sure I never exceeded the posted speed limit (probably even 5mph below the limit in case my speedometer is off), came to complete stops at all stop signs, waited through the full cycle at a red light, and parked in an approved manner at his house. Hopefully, his town doesn't prohibit parking between 2am-6am on city streets. I wouldn't want to park in his driveway without written permission, so I'd have to drive around looking for a legal parking spot.
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Shoestring is offline Please dont check the trunk...
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    Someone didnt have anything better to do with their time, nothing like stirring the turds.

I am going to try and park in a reasonable manner when possible, but sometimes, on a busy day, you need to stay close to your car because you dont know what is going to get thrown at you.
    Somebody Please, what the hell is that smell?

"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."

The views, opinions, stupid off the cuff comments, mouthy, obnoxious, thoughtless, etc etc etc are not always or even some of the time the belief of my department, so bugger off!

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoestring View Post
    Someone didnt have anything better to do with their time, nothing like stirring the turds.
    The only thing worse than a lawyer is a law student
    --

Ender

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Sounds like this shithead is trying to get his name out there. If he wins, he's hoping he'll get an offer from a law firm.

Nothing motivates better than self interest.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 121Traffic View Post
    This is yet another example of the "us vs. them" mentality.
    I've always thought the Us Vs. Them mentality comes from Them and not Us. We are ostracized and hated by the public. The public and their representatives consistently give us the poorest pay and benefits they can and expect super human behavior on our part. Any lapse in super human effort is used to publicly humiliate us in the media. Every decision we make is second guessed and Monday morning quarterbacked by people with no knowledge of case law or training to further put us down.

So yeah, I don't like hanging out with non-cops. I don't like spending time with people who tell me about every time they've been unjustly given a ticket by a cop with a bad attitude. I don't like having to explain how I do my job and why to people who don't really care. So who started the thin blue line? The public started it when they decided that police officers needed to be ostracized and pushed out of the normal community. We turned to each other when we realized we weren't really wanted anywhere else.

Us Vs Them is not the police vs society. It is Society (Us) vs Law Enforcement (them.)

I will acknowledge there is a small percentage of the community that appreciates us and understands what we are put through but it is unfortunately the exception and not the rule.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    The only thing worse than a lawyer is a law student
    Don't forget Criminal Justice students. They are just about as insufferable. I recently had one who was shoplifting and apprehended by loss prevention. She told me she knew her rights and I couldn't look through her purse. She told me I needed a search warrant. I proved her professor wrong when I put her in handcuffs and pointed out it was now a "search incident to arrest." I guess she passed CJ 101 with flying colors but search incident to arrest isn't covered until CJ 404.

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    This kid sounds like he needs a hobby...
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

Hannibal is offline Zombie Killin' Sheepdog
    Verified LEO
    Sounds like a young hot-shot lawyer type who is trying to make a name for himself. I hope he finds himself in front of a old and wise judge type that holds him in contempt for bringing such bullshit to his courtroom, clogging the courts and wasting everyone's time.

"Stupid should hurt."

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    I think it's perfectly justifiable too - If he were put on an emergency call, the closer he is to his car the better.

That lawyer with aspirations to become a meter maid could probably stand around all day and write dozens of tickets for that kind of crap, but he singled out the cop, so I wonder when he got his last ticket.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    I've always thought the Us Vs. Them mentality comes from Them and not Us. We are ostracized and hated by the public. The public and their representatives consistently give us the poorest pay and benefits they can and expect super human behavior on our part. Any lapse in super human effort is used to publicly humiliate us in the media. Every decision we make is second guessed and Monday morning quarterbacked by people with no knowledge of case law or training to further put us down.

So yeah, I don't like hanging out with non-cops. I don't like spending time with people who tell me about every time they've been unjustly given a ticket by a cop with a bad attitude. I don't like having to explain how I do my job and why to people who don't really care. So who started the thin blue line? The public started it when they decided that police officers needed to be ostracized and pushed out of the normal community. We turned to each other when we realized we weren't really wanted anywhere else.

Us Vs Them is not the police vs society. It is Society (Us) vs Law Enforcement (them.)

I will acknowledge there is a small percentage of the community that appreciates us and understands what we are put through but it is unfortunately the exception and not the rule.
    So Mr Bryant, I have a piece of advice for you. Quit driving, or better yet, quit breathing. It's idiots like you who give those of us who support LE a bad name and thus make it nearly impossible for me to show my support for LE. That officer parked his car like that for a reason. I am sorry that you were too stupid to realize it. Those men and women that serve in law enforcement put their lives on the line for you every day but yet you choose to be a dumbshit.

Xiphos, I can certainly see where you are coming from and have the ability to pick us diamonds out of the rest of the coal that you have to shovel all the time.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by CTR man View Post
    Xiphos, I can certainly see where you are coming from and have the ability to pick us diamonds out of the rest of the coal that you have to shovel all the time.
    I do have non-LE friends through church, mostly. And I am aware of the people like you. Unfortunately you are a diamond in the rough. If there were more of you politicians would have the political will power to take better care of us.

When people see me and thank me at work I've begun asking them to tell the politicians, not just me. Thanking me does nothing, telling the city council to thank me (and my brothers and sisters) will eventually add up to something.

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Fortunately my city council does appreciate the LE we have. They even helped to erect a monument to an officer killed in the line of duty here and named a park after another who was gravely injured in the same incident. I even hear of awards, bonuses and recognition sent out every so often.

Not a LEO

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by CTR man View Post
    Fortunately my city council does appreciate the LE we have. They even helped to erect a monument to an officer killed in the line of duty here and named a park after another who was gravely injured in the same incident. I even hear of awards, bonuses and recognition sent out every so often.
    Those are all nice and I'm glad your city does them. Those are the kinds of public attaboys that help the politician's career more than the cops on the department. I'd rather have good health care coverage and a good retirement and real raises. I need to take care of my family now, I don't give a crap if my kid can play frisbee in a park named after me. Ask your city council if the police retirement plan includes health care, is it enough to live off of, are officer's given good benefits now. Let them know that's what you expect.

I'm not attacking you or criticizing you or anyone here. You wouldn't be on this site if you weren't already part of the solution. My gripe is with the politicians and bureaucrats who erase my meager pay raise with health insurance increases (the city self insures us.)

Thread Information