Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Cop pries python's mouth open to prevent it from eating store owner

Teresa Rossiter had reached into a cage Thursday to show the huge snake to a customer when it bit her right hand and coiled around her left arm to throw her to the floor.

A friend who happened to be at the store kept the snake off her neck and body while police were called. And when Sgt. Ryan Nelson rushed into the store, he was ready to kill the snake with his knife.

But Rossiter asked him to spare the expensive python, so Nelson put on gloves and pried open the snake's mouth to free Rossiter's hand.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080419/...ython_attack_2

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    You got any comments on this one, Lew?
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I'd have cut the snake until the head was detached from the body, or it let the woman go. There's no way I'm putting my hands near a snakes mouth.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    You got any comments on this one, Lew?
    She would have died.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

oldtrooper is offline Rookie
    DEAD SNAKE!

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    Cop must have had arms of steel (couldn't read article today..damn dial up too slow!). I worked with snakes in my "past life" as a veterinary nurse...biggest one was an 18 1/2 ft reticulated python. Damn thing was so big we could hear it breathe outside the door (it has a respiratory infection). They have jaws like steel traps with a ton of little tiny teeth that latch on. I would have tried but not sure I could have pried it open without a damn crowbar! You should have seen me hold the 18 footer to draw blood...I am not a petit girl and that thing was hard to hold...all muscle.
    Took a few reports from a guy who bred snakes for sale...when I got there to take a report one of his 6 footers had grabbed onto his wrist...he had to dunk it under water to get it to release. Nice wound. LOL What is scary is this guy had cobras and rattlesnakes...and kept getting burglarized as he had NO security measures except a lock on the gate. Ex401MP got the call once and I knew where he was going so I followed him there. I took the report and got the tour since Ex401MP doesn't like snakes either Lew.
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    At my old agency dispatch asked me about the weather conditions near me after a rain storm. It was clearing up and I told them. A guy had driven himself into the hospital with a Cobra bite wound and the Park Police were flying to the National Zoo to get anti-venom to bring us. I watched all the guy's vitals peter out after he slipped out of consciousness. The Park Police guys arrived with the anti-venom just in time to save the dude. It was pretty messed up.

The idiot was drunk and tried to milk the Cobra venom. Afterwards the snake tagged him on the finger. Luckily most of the venom had been milked so the guy had time to drive to the hospital. In his drunken state he passed a closer hospital to get to the one in my district.

Can you imagine pulling that DWI? "Sir, I just got bit by a Cobra and need to go to the hospital."

"Yeah sure, we'll take care of that right after you do a few field sobriety tests."
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolven View Post
    biggest one was an 18 1/2 ft reticulated python. Damn thing was so big we could hear it breathe outside the door (it has a respiratory infection).
    Are you kidding me?

The cure for that is Remington.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    Are you kidding me?

The cure for that is Remington.
    I bet that gave you the heeby-jeebies just reading it Lew.
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    I hope I never get called to anything like that! Snakes aren't exactly my favorite thing to deal with...
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I still like the idea the cop had a while back.. he tased the damn thing.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/...8LNPSFO1.shtml
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Bite it back.

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    Can you imagine pulling that DWI? "Sir, I just got bit by a Cobra and need to go to the hospital."

"Yeah sure, we'll take care of that right after you do a few field sobriety tests."
    Thats because he drank a few of these.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 10-42Adam View Post
    I hope I never get called to anything like that! Snakes aren't exactly my favorite thing to deal with...
    Mine either. I don't care what the victim says, I'm killing the snake.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

ManImBored is offline Ninja In Training
    Verified LEO
    In my opinion, the only good snake is a dead snake. I hate those things.
    "Sometimes doing the right thing, is not doing the right thing."

Shoestring is offline Please dont check the trunk...
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    We dont have any large snakes around here, cant say I have any feelings on them either way. But if it is attacking someone, I cant say that its life would be spared, no animal for that matter
    Somebody Please, what the hell is that smell?

"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."

The views, opinions, stupid off the cuff comments, mouthy, obnoxious, thoughtless, etc etc etc are not always or even some of the time the belief of my department, so bugger off!

ryan36002 is offline Senior Officer
    Verified LEO
    Snakes are why I own a 410 shotgun.
    "You will learn more with your ears than you will your mouth!"

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Honestly, if she didn't want the snake killed, and you didn't want to touch it....ok. Fine. Leave it there.

It's obviously not going to eat her. It doesn't have any poison. Leave it. If you don't want my help, you can take it off lady.

FYI, I read a different article that said he pried it's mouth open with a screwdriver.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Thread Information