Welcome to the APBWeb.
    TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer

Wink Rash of Shootings Is Seen in Gun-Free Chicago Over Weekend - 36 Shootings, 9 Dead by Some Tallies.

Thank God Firearms are Banned There...

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/21/us...go.html?ref=us

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
    Published: April 21, 2008

CHICAGO The superintendent of the Chicago Police Department on Sunday blamed an excess of guns and gangs for a rash of 26 shootings over the weekend that killed and wounded victims from 13 to 65 years old.

[and I suppose excess of criminals in Chicago has nothing to do with it, you dufus!!! Maybe you'd better concentrate on locking these people up instead of taking every opportunity to proselytize your failed gun ban ]

“There are just too many weapons here,” the superintendent, Jody P. Weis, said at a news conference. “Too many guns, too many gangs.”

Four people were killed, the police said, and at least 14 of the shootings were gang-related. Seven victims were juveniles, five of whom were out after the 11 p.m. city curfew.

There were 19 shootings, including four homicides, on the same weekend last year, police statistics show, and 21 in 2006.

Since September, more than 20 Chicago Public Schools students have been killed by gunfire. Last school year, more than 30 students were killed, 24 of them shot — compared with 10 to 15 fatal shootings in the years before.

“We’ve got to get children back into being children,” Superintendent Weis said. “Not cold-blooded killers. Law enforcement cannot replace parents. Parents have to take a very aggressive role.”

=================

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/...-Shootings.php

36 shootings, 9 homicides reported in Chicago over weekend

The Associated Press
    Published: April 22, 2008

CHICAGO: An outburst of gunfire rattled the city during the weekend, with at least nine people killed in 36 separate acts of violence.

The shootings were reported from Friday until Monday morning, police spokeswoman Monique Bond said Monday. They included gang shootings, drive-by attacks, and even one case in which someone used an AK-47 to shoot up a plumbing supply store.
    Then on Monday evening, a man was shot to death and three other people were wounded in a robbery attempt at a McDonald's, police said.

Authorities did not immediately say whether any of the weekend shootings were thought to be related.

Police Superintendent Jody Weis blamed an excess of guns and gangs.

"There are just too many weapons here," Weis said Sunday. "Too many guns, too many gangs."

During the same weekend last year, there were 19 shootings, including four homicides, and 21 shootings were reported during the same weekend in 2006, police statistics show.

New police data released Saturday showed Chicago's murder rate for March was down about 1 percent from March 2007.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

MonsterMash is offline Proud 3%er
    POS thugs and gangbangers are all they are.
    Are you a 3%er? If you aren't, you should be.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I wonder how many shootings there would have been had the victims been able to shoot back?
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    What's so special about that particular weekend?
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Idiots call gun free zones "safer streets", thugs call them target rich environments.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

bird1 is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    Yesterday was my first day back to work since breaking a bone in my foot 3 months ago. I was close to the Robbery where 3 were shot 1 DOA. I don't know what it is, but there must be something in the water. The funny thing is that it's not even Summer yet, and it's only gonna get hotter around here. We have a new boss, no contract with the city, no pay raises, and the powers that be don't want us to be the police. So let the thugs and gangbangers kill each other and don't forget to vote for Chicago for the Olympics bid. Have a great day stay safe
    " The hardest thing about disarming an armed suspect is not slipping on your own shit "

Michael P. Gordon E.O.W 08 Aug 2004

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Oh... Well, if they're just killing each other, that's what they call a "non-problem"

Only trouble is, some little kid seems to always get a stray slug here and there.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

HudsonHawk is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    I wonder how many shootings there would have been had the victims been able to shoot back?
    I bet some of the "victims" did shoot back.
    "never bring paws to a gunfight" - Jenna

bird1 is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    http://video.nbc5.com/player/?id=244006
    Add them to the total count, five more people shot and killed in the same house today. Thank God I'm off, tomorrow is another day.
    " The hardest thing about disarming an armed suspect is not slipping on your own shit "

Michael P. Gordon E.O.W 08 Aug 2004

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

k-9max is offline K9 Officer
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    What's so special about that particular weekend?
    This weekends date "4/20" signifies a lot of stuff, from marijuana, to gang related numbers.
    YEAH, IM THE BERRIES, AND CHERRIES IN YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    Eat it, Play with it, or piss on it, and walk away!

As smart as man is, we haven't been able to invent a machine that can smell drugs or tell us where a person has walked,” Dogs are sophisticated investigative tools!

Thread Information