Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

Court upholds cellphone ban

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/ne...,3606873.story

Appeals court upholds NYC school cell phone ban

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
    2:11 PM EDT, April 22, 2008

A ban on cell phones in the nation's largest school system was upheld Tuesday by a state appeals court.

The Department of Education passed rules in September 2005 barring students from having their phones in public schools.

School officials, as well as Mayor Michael Bloomberg, have called the phones a distraction and say they could be used for nefarious purposes, including cheating.

Parents insist they need to stay in touch with their children in case of emergencies like Sept. 11. They call the ban irrational and unsafe and say it intrudes on their right to determine what is best for their children.

City lawyers argued that education officials had the right to make policy decisions -- "the kind government officials make all the time" -- about devices students may have at school.

The state Supreme Court's Appellate Division agreed. It said that nothing about the ban interferes with any of the rights claimed by the parents, nor does it prevent students and their parents from communicating before and after school.

"We are extremely disappointed," said Norman Siegel, lawyer for the parents and students. "We strongly believe the ban is unconstitutional and illegal, and we will not rest until the prohibition is reversed."

The ban came about as New York stepped up its scrutiny of what gets in and out of schools -- a policy aimed primarily at finding weapons. Along the way, schools confiscated thousands of cell phones. Students responded by sneaking phones inside their lunches and under their clothes, or paying neighborhood stores small fees to hold their phones during the day.

New York has more than 1,400 schools and 1.1 million students
    "never bring paws to a gunfight" - Jenna

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    My child will carry or not carry a cell phone because *I* make the decision, not a school district.

Bloomberg the Incompetent should focus on making sure his police are paid, rather than going on odd (and often illegal) junkets against guns and cell phones.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    I can see both sides. Yea, they can be a distraction etc but what value could you place on one student with a semi cool head and a cell phone in an active shooter situation? Heck, even if the student was freaking out it would still be better than no info from inside the school. On the other hand I quess you could count on teachers having cell phones in that situation.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Motorwaycop is offline Retired Plod
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Phones are banned from my sons school.

Although I have to say you'd never know it. I don't think it's a rule that is strictly enforced.
    If the pupil is responsible enough to have it switched off and not flash it around at break times etc I don't think it is a problem and they are left alone.
    However I can see how irresponsible use is a problem for the school.
    This would appear to be a matter for the school and parents to resolve.
    Phones are a fact of modern day life and a realistic and workable policy should be relatively easy to achieve.
    The use of courts seems to be over the top.
    But that's how it is now, everyone goes to court over the most insignificant thing, everything is a breach of human rights blah blah blah!
    Work it out people and grow up.
    the sole advantage of power is that you can do more good.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

lewisipso is online now Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Handle the kids that violate not the ones that don't.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Just KC is offline Who?......Me?
    My son is allowed to carry his cell, as long as it is turned off during school hours and put away in his backpack. He turns it on the moment he steps off campus.....and always will.

I just recently took a call from a 13yr old that was hiding from a guy she just ran from who tried to kidnap her. Because she had her cell, we were able to find her (she had no idea where she was)........we caught the guy after getting a 2nd call of him trying to grab another female 10 minutes later.
    ~Karie

"I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

osugirlP103 is offline Officer First Class
    their was once upon a time when their were no cell phones i know where my child is so i think the rule is fine because all some students will do anyways is use the phone to cheat I would rather my child pass fairly and no they will be ok education wise in life rather to know they cheated and worry if they will make it through life
    LAW ENFORCEMENT HELPING"PERPS" SLIP DOWN STAIRS SINCE 1766!

Resident Smart Ass is offline I ASK THE QUESTIONS AROUND HERE
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    My child will carry or not carry a cell phone because *I* make the decision, not a school district.

Bloomberg the Incompetent should focus on making sure his police are paid, rather than going on odd (and often illegal) junkets against guns and cell phones.

+1

Bloomberg has been running NYC city like a business with a tight ass wallet..thank God I moved out of city before he became the Mayor!
    Don't you just hate it when someone's balls are hidden so well, they can't seem to find it themselves ~ RSA

You can't avoid gossip & rude words from
    people. You can't please everybody. But remember, they wouldn't bother if you meant nothing.

FOLLOW RSA ON TWITTER (IF YOU'RE GOING TO FOLLOW ME, PLEASE SEND ME A MESSAGE ON HERE WITH YOUR O/R USERNAME AND TWEET USERNAME SO I'LL KNOW WHO I'M ACCEPTING OTHERWISE YOU WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!)
    https://twitter.com/RESIDENTSMARTAS

A PINT OF SWEAT SAVES A GALLON OF BLOOD ~ PATTON

Thread Information