Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO

Officer Shoots Man Trying to Drown Baby

http://www.wlbt.com/

Lincoln County 04/21/08
    (Mississippi)
    Man Killed While Attempting to Drown Baby

A Lincoln County man is dead after an officer-involved shooting near Brookhaven. Eyewitnesses say the victim was threatening the life of a newborn baby when a deputy shot him.
    Lincoln County Sheriff Steve Rushing was very limited in what he could say about the shooting, because it is now under state investigation.
    What we do know is that a deputy responded to a domestic 911 call on Highway 84, about two miles west of I-55. When he arrived, eyewitnesses say the baby's father was dunking the little girl in a pond.
    When the deputy told the man to stop, he refused, and the deputy shot and killed him.
    The 3-week old infant was resuscitated by first responders at the scene, then driven to a hospital for treatment.
    Lincoln County officials say this is the first time a deputy has shot and killed someone in the line of duty in over a decade.
    "I've been here for 12 years, and this is the first one I can remember being involved in," Rushing said. "As far as details on the incident, it was a domestic dispute we were called to and led to an officer-involved shooting."
    Relatives of the victim and the baby at the home where the incident occurred did not wish to be interviewed by the media.
    The names of those involved were not immediately released.

04/22/08
    Infant Involved in Attempted Drowning Remains Critical
    More details in the case of a man shot to death by a lawman, allegedly, while trying to drown his child Monday.
    University Medical Center officials say the 3-week-old remains in critical condition Tuesday night.
    Lincoln County Sheriff Steve Rushing says the baby's father, 26-year-old Curtney Gayten, was holding the infant under water in a pond on Highway 84 when authorities arrived.
    Witnesses said a deputy whose name has not been released ordered Gayten to release the child but he pointed a gun at the officer, who opened fire.
    Gayten died at the scene.
    The Sheriff said he and several other officers entered the water trying to rescue the baby.
    "One of our first responders located the gentleman first and then from that area there we were able to locate the child and the handgun. We removed the child from the water and two of my officers did CPR on it until the ambulance got on the scene," said the Sheriff.
    Coroner Clay McMorris said autopsy results may be available Wednesday.
    MBI is conducting a probe into the shooting.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    Bravo to the officer! Hope the child is ok.
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Good going!

I bet the Monday morning quarterbacks (possibly even the mother) are gonna have a few things to say about it (did the officer REALLY have to shoot the guy, couldn't they have just tackled him, etc, etc) - but screw them.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Good job by the officer and I hope that baby recovers.

snuffy2202 is offline JUST ANOTHER TEQUILA SUNRISE
    Verified LEO
    Great job!

Just KC is offline Who?......Me?
    Oh man.....i pray that baby makes it. Good job, Officer! Proud of you!
    ~Karie

"I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

Second Chance is offline Be the last one standing
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Good job..........
    Swamp Mafia

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ~Edmond Burke

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow me on twitter.........http://twitter.com/SecondChance122

Disclaimer: The opinions given in my signatures DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Prayers for the baby, and all the officers who responded to the scene - I'm sure they will be deeply affected.

As far as the dead POS - rot in hell.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Good call. Looks like the officer acted just in time.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    3 weeks old....
    wow

I hope the baby makes it through
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

k-9max is offline K9 Officer
    Verified LEO
    Kudos to the officer.

Thoughts, and prayers sent to the little one.
    YEAH, IM THE BERRIES, AND CHERRIES IN YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    Eat it, Play with it, or piss on it, and walk away!

As smart as man is, we haven't been able to invent a machine that can smell drugs or tell us where a person has walked, Dogs are sophisticated investigative tools!

Ender is offline Three Sheets...
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Hope the officer sleeps well.

Hope the baby recovers fully.

Hope the POS rots in hell.
    --

Ender

"And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon..."

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Well put, Ender.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

osugirlP103 is offline Officer First Class
    damn i would have shot the giy no matter if he were pointing a gun at me or not
    LAW ENFORCEMENT HELPING"PERPS" SLIP DOWN STAIRS SINCE 1766!

PCSD722 is offline Rookie
    Prayers for the baby, good job to the officer, thoughts and prayers for him too.
    Stay safe, let's all go home.

oldtrooper is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie View Post
    Good going!

I bet the Monday morning quarterbacks (possibly even the mother) are gonna have a few things to say about it (did the officer REALLY have to shoot the guy, couldn't they have just tackled him, etc, etc) - but screw them.
    They already have. He was swinging his weapon toward the deputy and was shot in the forehead. A relative stated on a TV interview "why did he have to shoot him in the head, couldn't he have done something else?"

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtrooper View Post
    They already have. He was swinging his weapon toward the deputy and was shot in the forehead. A relative stated on a TV interview "why did he have to shoot him in the head, couldn't he have done something else?"
    If one of my relatives had been trying to drown a baby, I'd have shot them MYSELF.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Job well done.
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Steve Rushing should be damned proud of this deputy for saving that kid's life and protecting his own in the process.

Excellent job.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtrooper View Post
    Well, counsel, I'm glad you asked me that.

You see, there are four ways to incapacitate the human body, and as you well know we shoot to stop, or incapacitate.

The first way to incapacitate someone is psychologically. If we make their mind think they are losing, they lose. We tried that with this guy by saying "POLICE STOP" and he didn't stop. Perhaps we should have simply surrendered then, but it didn't seem prudent at the time since he was trying to drown a child.

The second way to incapacitate someone is to lower their blood pressure. We typically do that by placing holes in the center mass of that person's body. Firing enough shots into center mass to incapacitate this guy takes more time, and places more risk to the baby that was in immediate proximity to him. We felt that shooting the baby was a less than desirable outcome, would you agree counselor?

The third way we can incapacitate someone is electronically. This may sound unpleasant counselor, but it has been established that destroying the computer usually ends the fight with a human adversary. It also allows any misses to safely go over the top of the infant he was holding on to. We tried this method counsel, and it worked, so we did not have to progress to method number 4.

In case method number 4 had you wondering counsel, the fourth way to incapacitate a human is mechanically. This can be accomplished by placing rounds into the pelvic girdle, causing the person to fall down and not be able to move much - although they can still usually work their trigger finger. It's a damn good thing method number 3 worked out counsel, because if he had fallen that poor child might have gone under water with him, and we would not be able to get close to save that poor baby when we knew the bad guy could still shoot.

Are there any further questions for me counsel, or can I go about my business of saving children and generally making work for you?
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Thread Information