Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO

LASIK Eye Surgery

I've been thinking about doing this for years but I feel that the long-term problems have not yet been completely discovered, if any. Opinions? Especially from those of you who have had the procedure.

A Blurry Outlook for LASIK?

As Eye Surgery Patients Report Problems, FDA Takes a Closer Look

By LISA STARK and KATE BARRETT

April 22, 2008

Lured by the promise of 20/20 vision, it's one of the world's most popular elective surgeries. But not everyone sings the praises of LASIK.
    Lauranell Burch is one patient who is not happy with the results.
    While working at Duke University, Burch received a mailing to employees that touted the benefits of the university's laser eye surgery. A senior medical researcher, Burch did her homework before undergoing the LASIK procedure, which stands for Laser-Assisted In Situ Keratomileusis, in March 2004. She read the clinical trials with interest and combed the Internet for details. Still, she says, she didn't get the whole story.
    "No one has received full informed consent for LASIK," Burch said. "If anyone knew what this procedure really does to their eyes, they wouldn't have it."
    Watch Good Morning America on Wednesday morning for the full report.
    Still, 28.3 million people worldwide have decided to undergo the surgery since the mid-'90s to improve their sight. LASIK doctors say complications from the eye surgery are rare, and a study published in January's American Journal of Ophthalmology showed the benefits of LASIK can last a decade. LASIK's industry group insists patients are satisfied by the results of the procedure.
    "When we look at outcomes of LASIK - 20/20 rates - our outcomes of LASIK today are better than they have ever been," said Dr. Kerry Solomon, professor of opthalmology at the Medical University of South Carolina. "The technology has advanced to the point that there has never been a better time to undergo LASIK eye surgery. Our outcomes are better and these procedures are safer."
    Nonetheless, after receiving reports of double vision, night blindness, dry eye and halos, the Food and Drug Administration is taking another look at LASIK. On April 25, experts will hear from patients and review what's known about the experiences of approximately 700,000 patients who undergo LASIK each year in the United States. The FDA received 140 comments about LASIK dissatisfaction between 1998 and 2006.
    The FDA, the National Eye Institute, the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery and the American Academy of Opthalmology are further assessing patient quality of life after LASIK.
    "This is not about safety and effectiveness of LASIK surgery at all," Solomon said. "This is about trying to take a very safe and very successful procedure and trying to learn as much as we can about trying to make it more successful."
    But in Roger Davis' experiences, many people are unhappy due to complications from the surgery. Davis, a researcher with a Ph.D. in clinical psychology, said he often hears from patients who are battling depression and thoughts of suicide after surgery. Davis had LASIK surgery in 1998 and now experiences dry eyes, irregular astigmatism and some ghosting in his right eye.
    "Anytime that you have a catastrophic physical injury, you're going to have a period of physical distress," Davis said. "I don't think catastrophic LASIK surgery is any different."
    "If you look at the research submitted to the FDA, I'd say the quality of life data wasn't that good," Davis added.
    According to the FDA, it could take as many as three to six months for vision to stabilize after surgery. During that time, the agency notes that people may experience glare and halos, and have a difficult time driving at night. The FDA also outlines the risks associated with LASIK on its Web site.
    But patients like Burch said the problems persisted much longer and said clinical trials failed to inform her that LASIK patients were losing contrast sensitivity, which enables people to distinguish an object from its background.
    "I feel like someone threw sand in my eyes everyday," said Burch, who now works for a branch of the National Institutes of Health. "My eyes sting and burn."
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Had the proceedure in 2002 and it was the best moeny I have spent. No ill effects to speak of for me.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Coming up on two years now, best thing I ever did!

I did have an adjustment period of about a year, although halos or glare only showed up when I was tired.

The sand in my eye feeling was gone in a week or two.

It does change the way you look at your sights, so you have to practice that front sight focus again.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Just KC is offline Who?......Me?
    I know 4 people that had it done and they regret not doing it sooner.
    ~Karie

"I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

Ender is offline Three Sheets...
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I've considered it for years. I'm rather scared of bad results or blindness. (They say some people get one eye done at a time for this reason, or so I hear).
    --

Ender

"And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon..."

CW Mock is offline Trooper
    Verified LEO
    I had it last November, and I have had zero problems. Probably the best thing I have had done. It was very simple, painless and took a matter of half an hour. The itching and halos went away fast for me.

I highly recommend it.
    "I have an open door policy on tickets ... if I have to open my door, you are getting a ticket. If I turn on those lights, somebody has to pay the electric bill."

The opinions given in my posts and comments
    DO NOT reflect any of the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "CW Mock" on LEF/Officer Resource.

Just KC is offline Who?......Me?
    You do have to be a candidate for it.
    ~Karie

"I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    I had it a couple of years ago and while the grittiness went away rapidly and I never had halos, I do have slight problems with oncoming headlights when driving country/suburban roads at night, so I wear light filtering glasses at that time. I find that it's not an issue when I'm driving at night in a city with many streetlights.

Even with that, it's the best money I've ever spent and I wish I'd done it sooner. It was truly a life changing experience, I'd worn glasses since I was seven.

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    I had it done last year and have better than 20/20 vision. I wish I had done it sooner.

Get it done in the afternoon.... It was the best decision - here is why...after the procedure they want you to keep your eyes closed (like you are sleeping) pretty much till the next day- that would have been hard to do all day and then night- so it worked out great. I got home around 7pm and went to bed.
    They dont tell you that the....uncomfortableness that night is not cool.
    I felt like someone was scratching my eyeballs and at one point it freaked me out so much that paul had to calm me down. Since they didnt tell me it would be like that, I thought something was wrong- but it wasnt. It was a pain in the ass not rubbing them for a while and wearing the glasses in the shower and putting in eye drops... but wow... it is totally worth it now.

I wore very light sunglasses driving at night for about 2 months because oncoming head lights were a bit funky... but that is over. I was light sensitive during the day for a good 3 months and now that is normal too.

Hope this info helps. You will have a follow up exam the next day with the doc and then a few weeks after that.

One thing:::::::: very important....

anytime you have stuff like this done, make sure to obtain the records or copies of the records of what exactly the doctors did to your eyes. Later on these are needed if you ever have any issues with your eyes like cataracs or anything else when you are elderly. If you dont have your records- you are fucked and they wont touch your eyes.
    Not many folks know that. Make sure to obtain a copy of your medical records from the doctor.

may great vision be in your future soon!!!!
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by gozling View Post
    I had it done last year and have better than 20/20 vision. I wish I had done it sooner.

Get it done in the afternoon.... It was the best decision - here is why...after the procedure they want you to keep your eyes closed (like you are sleeping) pretty much till the next day- that would have been hard to do all day and then night- so it worked out great. I got home around 7pm and went to bed.
    They dont tell you that the....uncomfortableness that night is not cool.
    I felt like someone was scratching my eyeballs and at one point it freaked me out so much that paul had to calm me down. Since they didnt tell me it would be like that, I thought something was wrong- but it wasnt. It was a pain in the ass not rubbing them for a while and wearing the glasses in the shower and putting in eye drops... but wow... it is totally worth it now.

I wore very light sunglasses driving at night for about 2 months because oncoming head lights were a bit funky... but that is over. I was light sensitive during the day for a good 3 months and now that is normal too.

Hope this info helps. You will have a follow up exam the next day with the doc and then a few weeks after that.

One thing:::::::: very important....

anytime you have stuff like this done, make sure to obtain the records or copies of the records of what exactly the doctors did to your eyes. Later on these are needed if you ever have any issues with your eyes like cataracs or anything else when you are elderly. If you dont have your records- you are fucked and they wont touch your eyes.
    Not many folks know that. Make sure to obtain a copy of your medical records from the doctor.

may great vision be in your future soon!!!!
    You are right on the money about the pain that first day - I had mine done in the morning and the surgeon said to go home and sleep for a few hours. I couldn't even open my eyes for the ride from the surgeon's office to my home, and it was less than 30 minutes. I was more than a bit cranky and my chauffeur, lol, was a saint - he'd had the surgery with the same surgeon and knew what I was going through, I couldn't even open my eyes to eat something before I took the sleeping medication. However, after a few hours of sleep I was fine although my vision was not 100% perfect (which I'd been told to expect).

One other thing I will say, having the ability to see across the room and actually see the alarm clock when I woke up the next morning was an indescribable feeling. I had no memory of being able to see without glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    You are right on the money about the pain that first day - I had mine done in the morning and the surgeon said to go home and sleep for a few hours. I couldn't even open my eyes for the ride from the surgeon's office to my home, and it was less than 30 minutes. I was more than a bit cranky and my chauffeur, lol, was a saint - he'd had the surgery with the same surgeon and knew what I was going through, I couldn't even open my eyes to eat something before I took the sleeping medication. However, after a few hours of sleep I was fine although my vision was not 100% perfect (which I'd been told to expect).

One other thing I will say, having the ability to see across the room and actually see the alarm clock when I woke up the next morning was an indescribable feeling. I had no memory of being able to see without glasses.
    The next day when I went down to the ocean.... I have had bad vision since about 12 years... I have no memory of being able to see with out them too...
    I saw the ocean and the horizon.... how the waves were so crisp far away and I sobbed ... so stupid really... but I just looked at things like a newborn.
    and to be laying on your side- with significant other- watching tv without the stupid glasses banging and hurting... I cried over that too..
    Paul was laughing at me for about a week... I was tearing up over the stupidist shit really

We dallied under
    But instead
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    To his world of illusion

Lo523 is offline Master Officer
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    I concur. Had it done in 2002 and it is undoubtedly the best money I ever spent; I only wish I'd done it years before. I had absolutely no problems with it, after getting over the first couple of days where my eyes felt like I'd been peeling onions. The best way round that was a darkened room and to sleep. If you are a suitable candidate for the procedure then I'd definitely recommend it.
    Never approach a bull by the front, a horse from behind, or an idiot from any direction.

Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by gozling View Post
    The next day when I went down to the ocean.... I have had bad vision since about 12 years... I have no memory of being able to see with out them too...
    I saw the ocean and the horizon.... how the waves were so crisp far away and I sobbed ... so stupid really... but I just looked at things like a newborn.
    and to be laying on your side- with significant other- watching tv without the stupid glasses banging and hurting... I cried over that too..
    Paul was laughing at me for about a week... I was tearing up over the stupidist shit really
    That's not stupid, goz - I cried too. I was surprised at how emotional it was for me. Prior to the surgery I couldn't see clearly beyond six inches from my face, and afterward I just wanted to walk around and see what I could see, lol. Even now it's still amazing to me that I can see on roller coasters, while swimming, in the shower, little things like that. Plus I can now buy sunglasses off the rack.

And for maybe a couple of months afterward, without thinking I'd reach for my glasses as soon as I woke up.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I was reading small text on the range the other day, and two guys with glasses and contacts could not make it out.

I can usually make out the numbers on the targets again, which freaks people out.

I test out at near 20/15 in each eye.

One thing I did forget, is that on windy days I do experience more dry eyes than I recall from before, but apparently that is a normal side effect.
    I'm your huckleberry...

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

Jim1348 is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO

LASIK Eye Surgery

Cidp24,
    I had this done a few years ago and like the others I wondered why I had waited so long. It is not for everyone, though. Some places have a free informational seminar where you can learn more. Take that in and if it still interests you, then see if you are even a candidate. One of our drug guys would love to have it done, but his corneas are too thin or something like that. If you do go for it, I would encourage you to get the one that is laser cut and laser correction. It is more expensive, but it worked very well for me. They offered me 5 mg of Valium to take the edge off before the procedure. I took it and it did help. One of out guys that did it a couple of years before me told them that a mere 5 mg wasn't going to cut it so they gave him 10 mg of Valium!

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    My buddy had it done and he wishes he had done it sooner. He's now 20/20 with no complications...was back to work in 2 days.
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    And for maybe a couple of months afterward, without thinking I'd reach for my glasses as soon as I woke up.
    LMAO.. I did the same thing... and I would push them up from the nose area... but they werent there! lol

We dallied under
    But instead
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    To his world of illusion

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    One other drawback- I have been told that I would have to use reading glasses all the time. I need them now, if I have contacts in, but I can read fine if contacts are not in. I read in bed a lot so this would be a pain. Also, seeing DLs at night would be tough. The Doctor told me that getting LASIK would be like having my contacts in all the time.
    Has anyone had this type of experience?
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
    One of out guys that did it a couple of years before me told them that a mere 5 mg wasn't going to cut it so they gave him 10 mg of Valium!
    I ended up getting 15 before I told them I was ok to go in.

The nurse could not believe I needed the third pill, but I was talking to her normally and still agitated.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    I ended up getting 15 before I told them I was ok to go in.
    I call that a "good start" at the dentist's office. I get them for any serious work. Heck, I get gas to have my teeth cleaned. I HATE the dentist office.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information