Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Prince William lands copter in girlfriend's garden

Prince William landed a Royal Air Force helicopter in the garden of his girlfriend Kate Middleton's family home but the Defence Ministry defended his actions, saying he achieved essential training objectives.

The News of the World reported on Sunday that 25-year-old William, second in line to the British throne, asked Middleton's parents' permission to land at their home in Berkshire, southern England, because of a shortage of landing slots in the neighboring county Hampshire.

Aviation analyst and RAF-trained pilot Jon Lake told the weekly paper the April 3 flight was "ridiculous and inappropriate," but the ministry said the two-hour training mission was fully authorized as part of William's four-month RAF attachment.

"Battlefield helicopter crews routinely practice landing in fields and confined spaces away from their airfields as a vital part of their training for operations," it said in a statement.

"These highly honed skills are used daily in conflict zones such as Iraq and Afghanistan."

The ministry said helicopter bases continually sought permission from landowners to use their fields and there were only two fields permanently available in Hampshire.

"Opportunities to use alternatives are therefore regularly seized. The aircraft landed in the field, after taking all necessary safety precautions, and was on the ground for 20 seconds.

"No one got on or off the aircraft. This was very much a routine training sortie that achieved essential training objectives."

William, the fourth successive generation of the monarchy to become an RAF pilot, received his Royal Air Force wings from his father Prince Charles on April 11 in a ceremony watched by Middleton.

Known as Flying Officer William Wales, he is due to start an attachment to the Royal Navy in June.

William broke up with Middleton, his long-time girlfriend, in April last year but they now appear to be together again, sparking feverish speculation among royal watchers about his marriage plans.

(Reporting by John Joseph; Editing by Jodie Ginsberg and Tim Pearce)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080421/...F7jJqClYcSH9EA

Shoestring is offline Please dont check the trunk...
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    Absolutely awesome William is cool as hell, his brother is also a cool chap, they are down with the times and not all stuffy like press and snobby people want them to be.

Good for him, F*&# the people that are bitching
    Somebody Please, what the hell is that smell?

"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."

The views, opinions, stupid off the cuff comments, mouthy, obnoxious, thoughtless, etc etc etc are not always or even some of the time the belief of my department, so bugger off!

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    It's not as if he flew in for a tryst, it was a 20 second touchdown for training purposes. Whoop-de-do.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Motorwaycop is offline Retired Plod
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    It's not as if he flew in for a tryst, it was a 20 second touchdown for training purposes. Whoop-de-do.
    A 20 second touchdown is about all I'd manage with Kate!
    the sole advantage of power is that you can do more good.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorwaycop View Post

haha, reps!

Damn, You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Motorwaycop again.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Lo523 is offline Master Officer
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    haha, reps!

Damn, You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Motorwaycop again.

That was funny! I got him for you!
    Never approach a bull by the front, a horse from behind, or an idiot from any direction.

Ender is offline Three Sheets...
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorwaycop View Post

A three-way with her and Keira Knightley would be perfect.

Or maybe I'd go with a 4 way and add beans
    --

Ender

"And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon..."

nsb22 is offline Crazilicious
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post

A three-way with her and Keira Knightley would be perfect.

Or maybe I'd go with a 4 way and add beans

Dooder! There is something seriously wrong if you would add Beans to that equation!!!

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear."
    -- Ambrose Redmoon

The views and postings of NSB22 are in no way shared or supported by NSB22's employers.

Thread Information