Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Laser pointer ban proposed in Australian state

Are lasers weapons? In the movies, of course. In warfare, they do everything from guiding bombs to earth to blasting targets in space. And now handheld laser pointers have earned a place alongside guns in Australia’s most populous state.

A new law proposed today by the premier of New South Wales declares possession of the handheld lasers a serious crime, punishable by up to 14 years in prison, depending on the device’s power. Weaker lasers could carry a $5,000 fine or 2 years in jail, and there would be exemptions only for teachers, construction crews and the scientists who point out the stars on planetarium ceilings.

Behind the harshness of the proposed ban is a nightmare scenario: A passenger jet crashes after a pilot is blinded by a laser aimed at the cockpit by someone on the ground. “It is a gutless and cowardly act that could result in an horrific outcome,” Premier Morris Iemma said, according to Reuters. “It only takes a fraction of a second for a pilot to become temporarily blinded and that could have catastrophic consequences.”

The enemy now known as “laser lunatics” in Australia emerged in a string of incidents — mostly involving airline pilots, but also helicopters. Earlier this month, a 23-year-old man was sentenced to three years in prison for pointing his laser at another helicopter. The judge echoed the dire viewpoint of today’s officials, calling the crime “a disaster in the making,” The Associated Press said.

This all may sound vaguely familiar: the United States went through a similar fit in 2005. Then, the Federal Aviation Administration reported an astounding 287 cases of cockpits hit with laser beams, and the House of Representatives proposed a law against pointing the devices at planes , with fines up to $250,000 and prison terms up to five years.

But the proposed legislation, known as the Securing Aircraft Cockpits Against Lasers Act of 2005, stalled as the threat seemed to recede. The aviation agency went on to create “laser-free zones” around airports, along with an application process for anyone who wants to stage a laser light show outdoors. (Note to Vienna, Va.: Make sure to file your papers 30 days before your brand new July 4th show.)

The stalling of the bill hardly stopped the authorities from pursuing suspected laser miscreants, however. In January 2005, federal authorities decided to “make a point” with David Banach of Parsippany, N.J., as George James recounted in animated terms in The New York Times:

ON the face of it, the situation David Banach got himself into sounds like one of those off-the-wall plots from ‘’The Simpsons.'’

Homer orders this laser pen over the Internet and takes Lisa outside to flash it around the night sky. It flashes on an aircraft. They go into the house, and soon there is a banging on the door. Homer opens it and — ‘’D'oh!'’ — there, in his front yard, are hordes of lawmen, including F.B.I. agents who arrest him for violation of the Patriot Act.

Homer gets flattened by John Ashcroft.

Mr. Banach faced up to 25 year in prison, but a judge decided a year later that two years’ probation was enough punishment for “a few moments of reckless action in an otherwise blameless life.” Today, those were precisely the moments that inspired Australian officials to drop their tolerance for lasers.
    April 21, 2008, 10:52 am
    Australia Takes On ‘Laser Lunatics’

By Mike Nizza

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/200...r-lunatics/?hp

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    It's illegal to point a laser at a law enforcement officer in Mississippi.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Another case of punishing everyone for the actions of a few.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cidp24 View Post
    It's fatal here.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    My cats are going to be devastated if they ban the little pointers.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Cidp24 View Post
    Oklahoma too. I came pretty close to shooting a little kid in the face once when I was at an apartment complex dealing with a massive disturbance when I saw a laser run across my face. Turns out, not every parent thinks it's a good idea to watch their kids to make sure they don't do stupid stuff. Odd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

Thread Information