Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky

Fatal Shark Attack Off San Diego Coast

Wow! Possibly a Great White, and just in time for a weekend heat wave too! This is off the coast of Solana Beach - busy morning for our deputies.

Swimmer killed in shark attack off Solana Beach

By Karen Kucher
    UNION-TRIBUNE BREAKING NEWS TEAM
    and Terry Rodgers
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
    10:06 a.m. April 25, 2008

SOLANA BEACH – A swimmer was killed Friday morning after a shark attack off Fletcher Cove, officials said.
    Sheriff's deputies said they were called at 7:20 a.m. to aid the man. A helicopter initially was sent to take the man to a hospital, but he was pronounced dead on the beach.

The swimmer, who was believed to be in his 50s, was attacked as he was swimming about 150 yards offshore, lifeguard officials said.

The man was swimming with a group of about 10 other swimmers, heading north from Fletcher Cove, when the attack occurred. The group regularly swims at the cove.

Witnesses told lifeguards that a “big gray shark” attacked the man, biting both his legs, said Craig Miller, a Solana Beach lifeguard.

“I can't remember a shark ever being in this area before,” Miller said.

The other swimmers said the man yelled and they came to his aid and saw he was being attacked by the shark, Miller said. The group swam to shore and alerted lifeguards.

Lifeguards closed beaches in Solana Beach and Encinitas after the attack.

So far, however, no San Diego beaches have been closed, San Diego lifeguard Lt. Nick Lerma said. “It happened a significant distance from us, so we're sort of status quo,” Lerma said.

Encinitas Fire Chief Scott Henry said lifeguards were posting signs at beaches and telling people to get out of the water.

The swimmers who were with the victim were taken to another location to be debriefed, said Solana Beach Deputy Fire Chief Dismas Abelman.

“They are pretty traumatized right now,” Miller said.

A Coast Guard helicopter was sent to assist lifeguards.

“It is not an active search-and-rescue,” said Coast Guard Petty Officer Clinton Dotson. “We will help clear the area. . . and see if we can spot the culprit.”

The last time a shark was confirmed to have killed someone in San Diego County waters was in 1994.

The victim, 25-year-old Michelle Von Emster, went for a nighttime swim by herself in Ocean Beach April 14.

Her body, with her leg severed at midthigh, was found the following day two miles to the south, near the surfing area known as Garbage Reef.

Investigators determined she drowned after being bitten by a great white shark.

Homicide detectives were called in after people raised questions of foul play. Friends said the woman – whose body was found unclothed – would not swim alone or without a swim suit. They also wondered why Von Emster's purse was found on the bluffs above the beach, and why her clothing was never found.

Reports of a great white shark at the same spot raised alarms in 2003, two years after great white shark sightings caused a scare at the venerable surf spot at San Onofre State Beach. No one was harmed either time.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Just KC is offline Who?......Me?
    The reason I only love the ocean from afar. Ever since Jaws came out, I won't go into the water lol
    ~Karie

"I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

Everyone is freakin' out on the news right now.

It sounds like the guy was bit in both thighs, probably severed the femoral artery.

Just KC is offline Who?......Me?
    That is just awful! Wonder if it will affect the crowds this weekend with heatwave coming.
    ~Karie

"I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

It looks like they are planning a 72 hour closure of the beaches in the immediate area.

They haven't confirmed yet, but it was likely a Great White based on the method of attack, and the size of the wounds.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Makes you wonder if people taste bad or something. We get bit, but seldom eaten.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    Makes you wonder if people taste bad or something. We get bit, but seldom eaten.
    Apparently the Great White likes to take a kill bite, then swim around until the prey dies.

Efficient.

Thread Information