Verified LEO

Cool miracle

http://www.wlbt.com/global/story.asp?s=8239984

Holly Springs 04/28/08
    (Mississippi)
    'Miracle Baby' Survives House Explosion

By Andrew Douglas
    adouglas@wmctv.com
    The comforting sounds of a baby beginning to talk are taking on special meaning for Frankie Mitchell and Orlando Elliott.
    "Sometimes I just want to cry when I look at her," Elliott said in a recent interview. "Just cry out of joy."
    Mitchell agreed.
    "We got another chance with our baby," she says.
    On April 3 at 7:00 p.m., baby Orlandrea Elliott was staying with her grandparents in Holly Springs when a gas leak ignited, erupting into flames. The explosion leveled their home, and the couple was badly burned. Also burned was their grandson, Michael, who was holding nine-month-old Orlandrea at the time.
    The blast ripped the baby from Michael's arms.
    "Once I got on my Mom's street, I just see a great ball of fire, and ambulances and fire trucks everywhere," Orlando Elliot said.
    Firefighters quickly located everyone in the house -- except baby Orlandrea. Crews searched for hours in the darkness, until rain and thunderstorms forced them to stop.
    "I was hurting so bad," Mitchell said.
    Around 9:30 the next morning, the search resumed. Firefighters, family, friends and neighbors worked together, climbing through the rubble, searching for any sign of young Orlandrea.
    "I was just thinking, 'I miss my baby. I want her. I need her back,'" Mitchell said.
    Then, a miracle. Fifteen hours after the explosion, firefighters found the baby in the destroyed home's basement. She was wedged inside some tattered insulation, covered by a roof shingle.
    "I opened that blanket up, and I seen her eyes. I just had tears of joy," Elliott said.
    When she was pulled from the rubble, baby Orlandrea was suffering from second- and third- degree burns over much of her body. She was taken to one of the best burn centers in the southeast -- Doctors Hospital in Augusta, Georgia.
    As Orlandrea began recovering from her wounds, her amazing story of survival gave birth to a new moniker: "Miracle Baby."
    "My friends and everybody said they want to get her name tattooed on their body," Elliott said.
    After two weeks in the hospital, Orlandrea was released. Bandages still covered her most severe burns, but she hardly seemed to notice them.
    Orlandrea's parents said their faith has helped them work through the incident and its aftermath, and they can't wait to tell their baby girl her miraculous story when she gets older.
    The other people inside the home at the time of the explosion remain hospitalized.
    I am always amazed at how resilient a baby can be.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Just found another story along the same lines. I remember this one from when it happened.

Lauderdale County 04/29/08
    (Mississippi)
    Miracle Baby 16 Years Later

by Howard Ballou
    howard@wlbt.net
    Sixteen years ago, a tiny community near Meridian captured the nation's attention after it was nearly destroyed by a tornado. But it wasn't so much the storm that caused the buzz, but the miraculous survival story that occurred on that March morning.
    "I don't feel like I'm any different from any other one person...", said Tanner Moody. But there is something that distinguishes Tanner Moody from other 16-year-olds and he is often reminded of that.
    Moody says, "...somebody just comes up to you, be like, hey! you're that baby from the tree, ain't you? Yeah, I have to relive it every now and then, hearing that story over and over again.."
    That story began March 10, 1992 when an early morning tornado ripped through the Zero community in Lauderdale County near Meridian.
    On that day...cars were tossed around like toys, trees uprooted...homes destroyed.
    Laura Potter, Tanner's mother said, "We were living in a trailer at the time and I could feel the anchors popping underneath the trailer so I knew it was upon us."
    Keith Moody, Tanner's father said, "By the third time it rolled over it landed on top of me, but I was in the door way and was not crushed.."
    Keith Moody, his wife at the time, Laura Potter, their 6-year-old daughter, Shellye and 3-month-old son, Tanner, were tossed around like rag dolls. Everyone was accounted for except little Tanner.
    "But you know I was determined that I was not coming out of that rubble until I had my son whether he was alive or dead.." About 15 minutes pass when suddenly they hear a baby crying. Said Potter, "...he was actually hanging upside down by his nightgown in a downed tree.."
    Little Tanner Moody's story received statewide and national attention; even earned the baby this Timex Watch Company ad. Potter said, "They had this slogan, takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin.."
    Tanner was too young to remember anything and has long since recovered from his injuries. Today, he's a scholar and athlete at Clarkdale Attendance Center in Lauderdale County.
    Potter said, "...he still says that he gets ribbed at school; people call him Miracle Baby, Tornado Baby, Superman and all that.."
    Tanner's principal, Dr. Roy McNeill said, "Tanner is something of a celebrity around here and Tanner carries that celebrity very well." Coach Brent Manasco said of Tanner, "You can see it in his eyes, you can see it in his actions, you can see it in his words that he says to others; encouraging words to others and just in his everyday life and his attitude, also."
    Keith Moody said, "Oh yes, I believe, in my heart, that there is some reason that the Lord looked over him and has got some sort of purpose in life for him, I mean, I don't know what it's gonna be but he's got some sort of purpose for that child..."
    Asked what he plans to be when he grows up, Tanner had this to say: "I don't know...just see what God has in store for me, but I'm guessing anywhere from programming to being a coach, teacher, some kind of profession near that.." But for now, the "Miracle Baby" is just pleased to be a happy-go-lucky, self-described...average teenager.
    Videographer Jerome DeLoach asked Tanner if he gets a little nervous when severe weather is in the forecast. Tanner says his gut tightens a little when it is a tornado, but for the most part he says he just sleeps through it.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

narcodog is offline Rookie
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    The Higher Being works in mysterious ways. Like the baby that fell from the window in Boston with the Mail Carrier underneath the window and caught her, she was not even suppose to be there at that time.
    "A Knights Oath
    A Knight is sworn to valor; His Heart only knows virtue; His Blade defends the helpless; His Might upholds the weak; His Words speak only the truth; His Wrath undoes the wicked"

Aspire to Inspire

Thread Information