BAYSHORE (WABC) -- Rising gas prices have drivers looking for any way they can to find cheap gas. And on Monday, some people got a special gift - gas for only a $1.06 gallon.
Eyewitness News reporter Emily Smith has the story.
The average price for a gallon of gas on Long Island and in New York City is about $3.85 a gallon. According to AAA, a that's 15 cents above the national average, and that has some people going to great lengths to find a bargain.
How does waiting in line for five hours to fill up sound?
Story continues below
Advertisement

Some thought it was crazy. Others didn't. But one thing they had in common was that they all waited together.
Dianne Kiernan did it, along with more than 100 other people. They turned out because the all-time record gas prices seen on Long Island was about to plummet to about a dollar a gallon. It was all part of a radio promotion by 106.1 FM WBLI at the LukOil on East Main Street and Brentwood Road in Bay Shore.
The lines started early, wrapping around the corner. Motorists even turned their vehicles off to spare the little gas they had. But at noon, engines roared as the gas pumps started flowing with the cheapest fuel anyone can remember.
But like anything that's too good to be true, the promotion, known as "Kiss My Gas," ended fast. Only the first driver in line, and the next 105, got the deal. Customers were also limited to 10 gallons. Still no one complained.
"It makes me feel better," Kiernan said. "It will be gone in two days though."
When that happens, try NewYorkGasPrice.com. You just type in your area and zip code to get the address for the cheapest place to fill up near you.
We also found FuelCostCalculator.com. There, you can find not only the best gas prices, but figure out how much right down to the penny your travels will cost. You type in the make and model of your car and where you're going. AAA a says it is getting double the visitors to that site over the year to date.
With gas prices climbing, some are finding alternative ways to save. Others are walking instead of driving. Either way, many say they'll take any fuel deal, no matter what the savings, to make it a little less painful to fill up and get where they need to go.
To search for gas prices in your area, click here and enter your zip code.

`````
I'd have waited, beats the heck out of the 4.39$ at the local gas station here. Course, I'd burn 3 gallons just to get there...