Welcome to the APBWeb.
    jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

Driver kills dog, sues dog owner

DULUTH, Minn. (AP) _ The driver of a 1997 Honda Civic that struck and killed a dog near Cloquet is suing the dog's owners for damage done to his vehicle.

Jeffery Ely was driving on the night of Jan. 4 when Fester, a miniature pinscher, squeezed past owner Nikki Munthe as she was letting in her other dog and ran out onto the road. Ely's car struck Fester, killing the 13-pound dog instantly.
    Now Ely is suing the Munthes for about $1,100 for damage to his car, time he had to take off from his two jobs to get the car repaired, and court fees.

Pieces of the bumper were propelled into the radiator when it hit the dog, Ely said, necessitating a replacement. Ely maintains he didn't have problems driving until after the accident and that the radiator issues were not pre-existing.

Ely said he feels sorry for the Munthes' loss but, as a dog owner himself, feels that they must be responsible for their pets' actions.

"I have complete compassion for them," Ely said. "I know how it feels. I love dogs. But once you get them, they are your responsibility."

Munthe said she has always been worried about the busy road the family lives on.

"We would have never let him off-leash because we're so terrified of this road," she said.

The case will be heard in St. Louis County Court on Friday.

The Munthes have filed a $2,400 countersuit against Ely for the cost to buy Fester, the time they had to take off work for court appearances, and the cost of buying a dog to replace Fester.

Why can't accidents just happen?
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    That is just crazy. Quite the minpin to have caused $1000 worth of damage.
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolven View Post
    Thats what I was thinking.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Ender is offline Three Sheets...
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolven View Post
    yeah...

It takes a cold hearted sonofabitch to sue somebody after you kill their pet in a relatively freak accident. If it was a dog they were recklessly walking off leash, that is one thing.

Sometimes shit happens, and you shell out a few bucks for it....part of life.

I don't blame them for countersueing for more, to tell you the truth.
    --

Ender

"And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon..."

ex401mp is offline Was betrachten Sie?
    Verified LEO
    Thats what car insurance is for. What a selfish nimrod.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American G.I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom. ~ Anon

si hic carrus commovet non quaerete

RIP Scott L. Roth- Pfc 1st Platoon,401st MP Co, KIA 12/20/89- Operation Just Cause- Not forgotten.
    ALWAYS FIRST!!!

deputysykes is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    I handled a car vs. horse 10-50 once. The driver did receive minor injuries. Once the driver found out the horse owner was a Dr., cha ching $$$ lawsuit. A nice settlement.
    I'm not ruining your life, you are, and I'm just going to write a short story about it.

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    I guess there is no such word as accident in his world...

just wait...

he will get his for this stupid shit.
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    This just goes to show you just how greedy some people are.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by ex401mp View Post
    Thats what car insurance is for. What a selfish nimrod.
    +1. He's an asshole.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

deputy29 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Frist off a Min pin is not large enough to be hit by this morons bumper. Second if the dog was large enough to hit the bumper and parts of it were propelled into his radiator he had to be traveling well over the speed limit. A few days ago I just hit a raccoon, which is a lot larger than a 13 pound dog, and there was no damage to my Kia just some hair, blood and one flat raccoon. I hope the dogs owners win over this asshole.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    An update

A St. Louis County judge has thrown out a lawsuit that had been filed by a man who struck and killed a dog on a highway, then sued the dog's owners for damage to his car.

Jeffery Ely, of Cloquet filed the lawsuit against Daniel Munthe, whose 13-pound miniature pinscher Fester was killed in January after it escaped from its family's home.

Ely's insurance wouldn't cover the damage, so he sued the Munthes for $1,029 to cover the cost of repairs, time he took off work and court fees.

The rural Cloquet family countersued for $2,400 for the time they had missed from work, as well as costs to cremate Fester and buy a replacement dog.

Judge Gerald Maher said neither side could prove the other had been negligent, so he dismissed both suits.

http://kstp.com/article/stories/S440348.shtml?cat=1

CT209 is offline Once..... Forever
    Verified LEO
    Well, there are a few things we don't know about this.

What's the speed limit on the road? Around here there are roads with a 45 mph limit that have houses on them. I promise you that if you hit a critter (even a 13 lb one) doing 45 mph with one of todays cars, you're going to take a hit and suffer damage. I've hit enough raccoons and opossums to vouch for that.

While I can commiserate with the family's loss of a pet, I think we're rushing a bit to condemn the driver. The way it works around these parts is the dog is "roaming"- it doesn't make any difference if the dog "accidentally got out". The fault and the damage is the responsibility of the dog owner. I do agree that that's what insurance is for- around here it would be the dog owner's home owners insurance. I'm guessing here, but I gather that route wasn't available as an option to settle the case.

I don't see that it's fair the driver should eat his deducible and have to pay any out-of-pocket expenses for this accident. It is the responsibility of the owner to curb their dog.

I'll admit I'm a bit jaded, but I had a similiar situation once- the dog was bigger. I hit a dog of undetermined breed that weighed about 25 lbs one night. The dog was in the road and was severely injuried. By CT law, if you hit a dog, you have to stop and also make a police report which I did. I also happened to guess right and located the owner's house and informed them of their dog's injuries. They rushed out in a panic and ended up taking the dog to the vet. I also let my car insurance company know of the incident.

Two days later, I get a visit from said owner. He tells me the dog required rather extensive medical treatment and the bill to date was several thousand dollars and he expected it to end up being much higher. I replied that was a real shame. Next he tells me that I can sent the money directly to the vet and hands me a copy of the bill. I was stunned.

I ended up taking my car in for repair which my insurance paid for minus the $500 deducible which I had to pay pending their recovery of the cost from the dog owner's insurance. If I remember correctly the damage was about $1400, plus the rental car costs for the four days my car was in the repair shop.

About four weeks later, I get a return visit from said dog owner. It seems my car insurance company petitioned the dog owner for home insurance information so they could expedite the recovery of monies for repairs to my car. The dog owner is now furious. He is going to file a small claim court action against me. The conversation got a tad bit ugly after he imparted that tidbit on me.

It took about 7 months for the whole thing to sort itself out. I finally got a check from my insurance company reimbursing me my $500 deducible. I have no idea how or where the money came from. Frankly, I don't care.

He did file in small claims court against me. But, the claim was later withdrawn. I can only gather he was told the fault was his and the laws wouldn't support his claim.

I fully understand the pain of having a family pet hurt. I once spent in excess of $2000 trying to save a cat after it got hit by a car. I loved that cat. But, the responsibility for those costs were mine. Had there been damage to the car that hit my cat, I'd have been liable for that also. (In CT, there's no law about stopping if you hit a cat, so I have no idea who hit it.) The cat was roaming and decided to play in the road. There are a few laws specifically written that pertain to dogs in CT, but the liability for damages incurred when a dog is in the street fall on the dog owner.
    "When a crime is committed, liberals blame society. Conservatives blame the criminal." -Debra Saunders

Old Scottish Motto- "nemo me impune laccessit". It still holds true today.

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    all i can say is thank god there is a judge that had some common sense
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

Star Man is offline Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by deputy29 View Post
    Frist off a Min pin is not large enough to be hit by this morons bumper. Second if the dog was large enough to hit the bumper and parts of it were propelled into his radiator he had to be traveling well over the speed limit. A few days ago I just hit a raccoon, which is a lot larger than a 13 pound dog, and there was no damage to my Kia just some hair, blood and one flat raccoon. I hope the dogs owners win over this asshole.

I have to agree with you on this one.

Thread Information