Welcome to the APBWeb.
    PapaBear is offline SgtCHP-Retired

Handcuffed Suspect Steals Police Car

Suspect takes police car for a ride

Melissa Pinion-Whitt, Staff Writer
    Article Created: 05/08/2008 09:24:04 PM PDT

ONTARIO
    - Jose Mora didn't want to go to jail.
    The 24-year-old Los Angeles man was handcuffed in the back of a police car when he came up with the best solution he could think of under the circumstances. He broke through the metal cage separating the front seat from the back, crawled into the front seat and drove off, police said.

"I've heard of them kicking out the window, but I've never heard of them kicking out the cage before," Officer Bill Russell said.

Mora and another man were riding in a vehicle at 10:39 p.m. Wednesday when police pulled them over in the 2400 block of South Vineyard Avenue. Police arrested Mora on suspicion of drug possession, handcuffed him and put him in the patrol car.

The other man was arrested on suspicion of having drug paraphernalia, Russell said.

Police were finishing the investigation at the scene when Mora slid his hands in front of him and either kicked through or broke open the metal cage, authorities said.

One of the Ontario officers standing nearby saw Mora jump into the front seat. The officer, who ran to the car and tried to grab Mora, was nearly run over when the man put the vehicle in drive, police said.

The officer fired at Mora but did not hit him.

Mora drove away, weaving his way through Ontario, Montclair and Pomona on the 60 and 71 freeways and on surface streets, police said.

He finally abandoned the car in the 5000 block of Flora Street in Montclair and ran, with an officer firing additional shots at him.
    Police caught him in a nearby front yard. He remained combative with officers during his arrest, police said, but no officers were injured.

Russell said the keys being left in the patrol car was "not an issue" because Mora was restrained properly. He said authorities mostly were trying to figure out how the incident occurred, including whether Mora was under the influence of drugs when he made his getaway.

Certain drugs, such as methamphetamine and PCP, are known to increase a person's strength in certain situations.

Even if that were the case, police say it's tough to break through the thick metal cage, which is bolted to the vehicle.

"We're not sure if he was able to undo the bolts or if he just plain kicked it out," Russell said.

Police booked Mora into West Valley Detention Center in Rancho Cucamonga on suspicion of attempted homicide on a peace officer, vehicle theft, felony evading and possession of drugs for sale.

Staff writer Wes Woods
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.
    [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    What the hell kind of cages do they have in their cars?! lol
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

Motorwaycop is offline Retired Plod
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Unlocked ones apparently. I think someone may have some questions to answer.
    At least they have cages.
    The officer isn't the first and certainly won't be the last to have his own vehicle stolen. It happened last year to someone on my unit. Had his marked range rover stolen. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy!
    the sole advantage of power is that you can do more good.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Several Dallas police cars that I've ridden in had no cages... And that was just last year.

Many of the cages now in their cars were put there in the last 4 or 5 years using private donations.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Just KC is offline Who?......Me?
    ROFL Hilarious!
    ~Karie

"I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

Thread Information