Welcome to the APBWeb.
Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    CTR man's Avatar
    CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Join Date
    Ceres, CA
    Rep Power

    Pittsburgh, PA police dog shot

    Sorry if the article is a few days old. I saw this on another forum and decided to post it here. Can you believe this crap coming from the parents? Last time I checked a Police K-9 is a police officer. No, it didn't have to happen this way. "He was trying to turn his life around." He wasn't trying hard enough. Dumb ass parents, if you raised your kid right, he would still be alive and we wouldn't have to go through this mess. RIP Aulf.

    The parents say they are going to sue. How about the police counter sue for the cost of buying and training another K-9.


    Officer shoots, kills man who guns down police dog

    By Michael Hasch
    Wednesday, May 7, 2008

    A Knoxville man shot and killed a Pittsburgh police dog Tuesday before the canine's handler returned fire, killing the man in what city police Chief Nate Harper called "an unfortunate" but justifiable action.

    The shooting outraged and angered the family of the 19-year-old man, Justin Jackson. He was pronounced dead by a passing paramedic almost immediately after the shooting that occurred at 6:53 p.m. in front of the UPMC facility on Arlington Avenue on the border of Knoxville and Mt. Oliver.

    Harper said the dog's handler ordered the canine -- a 6-year-old German shepherd named Aulf -- to attack after Jackson pulled a gun from under his shirt. Both the officer, an eight-year-veteran Harper did not identify, and Jackson fired several shots, the chief said.

    "They shot my son in the head. The officer told me, 'Our dog got shot so we shot him.' They killed my son over a dog," said Donald James Jackson of the West End.

    "My 19-year-old son is lying there dead, shot in the head, execution-style. My son's brains are laying on the street. This is crazy. I'm going to do whatever I have to do, file charges against the officers, for my son. It's terrible, the mentality they have," Jackson said as he tried to comfort his wife.

    "We are not going to let them get away with this!" Anna Jackson screamed. "They will pay for killing my son. They are going to pay for shooting my son over a dog!"

    Harper said the dog's handler and another officer, both in uniform, were driving on Arlington Avenue in a marked police car to respond to a report of shots fired when they spotted Justin Jackson. They stopped because they believed he was carrying a gun, the chief said.

    "The suspect had his hand under his shirt. When the officer told him to show his hand, (Jackson) pulled out a gun," Harper said.

    "The officer deployed his dog, and the dog did what it was trained to do. The dog was fatally wounded by the subject, and the officer fatally wounded the subject."

    The dog's handler was placed on paid administrative leave, which is normal procedure, while investigators from Allegheny County District Attorney Stephen A. Zappala Jr.'s office and county police investigate, Harper said.

    The district attorney investigates all shootings involving police in the city. County officers were called because Jackson died on the Mt. Oliver side of the street.

    Aulf, who was shot in the front legs and chest, was pronounced dead on arrival at a veterinary hospital.

    Police dogs are protected under state law that makes it a felony to even taunt them.

    "Preliminary indications are that the officer acted appropriately," said Harper, who spoke briefly to Donald Jackson near the shooting scene.

    "I told him it was an unfortunate incident. Anytime a life is lost, it's unfortunate. I offered him the services of the department's chaplain," Harper said.

    Roni Glass was walking along Arlington Avenue between Amanda Street and 18th Street at the time of the shooting. She knew Jackson, who worked for a Green Tree cleaning company.

    "He shot the dog, and they shot him," said Glass, 15.

    Bishop Otis L. Carswell, senior pastor of Potter's House Cathedral in Mt. Oliver, was driving on Arlington Avenue about the same time.

    "We saw the officers. One officer was talking to the young man. The young man was casually sitting on the wall. The other officer who had a dog was standing about 10 feet away. The dog was barking and trying to get at the young man," Carswell said. "As we drove by, it looked like the cop who had the dog was going toward the young man with the dog.

    "No more than 60 seconds later, we heard four or five shots, so we backed up. We saw the young man laying on the ground and the dog laying on the ground. Nobody paid any attention to the young man while we were there. (Police and paramedics) were working on the dog. They left the young man laying there.

    "I'm very disturbed by this whole thing. I don't believe it had to happen that way. The cops just began clearing the scene, telling everybody to get away. Nobody asked if there were any witnesses. My wife had to alert the cop and tell him, 'You're running the witnesses away.'

    "We want to extend our condolences to the young man's family. We're very hurt by this. We want to do everything we can in the community to curb the violence. I don't think it had to happen this way."

    City police called for officers from the Port Authority of Allegheny County to help control the crowd and secure the scene. Officers patted down at least one young man overheard saying that he had a gun, but they found no weapon and did not detain him.

    "I think people should be able to go to the bus stop without being shot," said Stephanie Bibey, 15, echoing a statement made by several bystanders.

    Others saw the shooting as a tragic reminder of the general decline in the neighborhood.

    "I think it's kinda scary. You can't come out at night. I think a lot of it is the drugs and guns and violence," Sue Carroll said.

    "We gotta get out of here," agreed Lisa Fehr, who still lives a few blocks away on the South Side Slopes where she was raised. "As soon as my two daughters graduate (from high school). People are walking around with guns. We can't live here."

    Michael Hasch can be reached at mhasch@tribweb.com or 412-320-7820.
    Back to headlines

    Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

    Not a LEO

    In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

  2. #2
    CTR man's Avatar
    CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Join Date
    Ceres, CA
    Rep Power
    "He was trying to turn his life around." He wasn't trying hard enough. The Police planted the gun on the kid and are racist? Give me a ******* break. Get Real.


    Man who died in shootout had violent history

    By Jill King Greenwood
    Saturday, May 10, 2008

    Justin Jackson was 8 when he first encountered police in Pittsburgh.

    City school police were called about a dozen times to Knoxville Elementary/Middle School because Jackson had assaulted, kicked, punched, bitten or threatened students and teachers, records show.

    At 11, he was arrested for aggravated assault -- the first of 14 arrests between January 2000 and April 2007. He threw rocks at a school bus, shattering a window and striking a child in the face.
    By the time he was 14, the West End teen was sent to Shuman Juvenile Detention Center for assault and firearms offenses. He was sent to five other detention facilities -- and kicked out of two of them -- over the next four years, records show.

    His parents, Donald and Anna Jackson, say their son, the third of six children, was a good kid who made some mistakes. Yet on Friday they were arranging his funeral through Spriggs-Watson Funeral Home in Homewood, where visitation will be Monday from 2-4 and 7-9 p.m.

    Police say officers fatally shot Justin Jackson, 19, after he shot and killed a police dog. He will be buried Tuesday after funeral services at 11 a.m. at Potter's House Cathedral in Mt. Oliver.
    Jackson was the third person fatally shot by police in Allegheny County this year.

    "All of that stuff was when he was a juvenile, and he made some mistakes," Donald Jackson said Wednesday, about his son's problematic life. "That's when you're supposed to make mistakes, when you're a kid. It doesn't make him a bad kid."

    Jackson died of gunshot wounds in the chest and head, the county Medical Examiner said yesterday. His office would not release details, such as the caliber of gun used in Jackson's shooting.

    The .357-caliber gun Jackson fired at two officers and the German shepherd, Aulf, was linked to a slug removed from the dog, the medical examiner's office said. Tests showed the gun was fired at least once while still in Jackson's pocket, the office said.

    Aulf was cremated, city police said. A funeral service will be held today at the city police Training Academy in Highland Park.

    Jackson's relatives claim police used excessive force. His parents say their son's life is worth more than a dog's. Police said Jackson pulled a gun on them, prompting K-9 Officer Christian Sciulli to release Aulf. Sciulli and the other officer at the scene, who hasn't been identified, are on administrative leave while the District Attorney's Office investigates the incident.

    "All of this, from start to finish, is a sad commentary on a young man's life," said Jim Rieland, administrator of Allegheny County juvenile probation.

    Regular run-ins

    Pittsburgh school police said they regularly dealt with Jackson during his elementary and middle school years, until he left the city's school system at age 13. The following year, Mt. Oliver police arrested him twice on charges including firearms offenses, aggravated assault, receiving stolen property, defiant trespass and terroristic threats, according to court documents.

    He was taken to Shuman Juvenile Detention Center and transferred to a state youth facility in Erie. On his second day there, Jackson, 14, and two other youths escaped, stole a vehicle and led state police on a high-speed pursuit. He found himself in front of a judge again.

    "That attempt at rehabilitation failed immediately," Rieland said.
    A judge sent him to a secure juvenile detention facility in Perry County, where he was charged with aggravated assault seven times in 16 months, records show. In all but one of those assaults, he punched, kicked or assaulted staff members at Loysville Youth Development Center; the other assault involved another youth. Once, Jackson left four bite marks on a teacher, police said.

    By June 2004, the staff at Loysville gave up.

    "They asked that he be removed from that facility," Rieland said. "We typically don't just remove these kids after one assault, because the staff is asked to do everything they can to work with these kids. But at some point, they gave up. They'd had enough."
    Jackson was sent to a state facility in Westmoreland County where, records show, he committed no assaults or violent acts for four months.

    In November 2004, he was allowed to enter a day treatment program through The Academy in Pittsburgh, a school for delinquent juveniles on probation in Allegheny County.

    But five months later, he snatched a woman's purse and pulled a pellet gun on Port Authority police, records show. He was sent away again, to a facility in Harrisburg this time. He stayed there, and stayed clear of trouble, until June 2006.

    Officials again placed him in The Academy program, where he remained until he turned 18 in September 2006. He was released from state juvenile custody, and his case was closed.

    Adult record

    Then in April 2007, Pittsburgh police arrested Jackson for choking a 13-year-old boy and threatening witnesses with a gun tucked into his waistband.

    It was his first and only arrest as an adult.

    Police charged Jackson with simple assault, carrying a firearm without a license and other firearms offenses. When he went before Common Pleas Judge Jeffrey A. Manning six months ago, Jackson's attorneys had arranged for him to plead guilty to the assault charge in exchange for dropping the other charges.
    Manning sentenced him to 6 to 18 months in jail, but records show he was paroled immediately.

    He was on parole this week when the fatal shootings occurred.
    Police Chief Nate Harper has said Jackson's death was an "unfortunate but justifiable" police action.

    Police had hoped to review surveillance footage from a camera posted on a nearby health care facility to see if the shooting was captured on tape, but police Cmdr. Thomas Stangrecki said yesterday the cameras weren't working.

    "They have been inoperable for some time, so there is no surveillance footage of the incident," he said.

    Jackson's relatives have alleged that police planted the gun on Jackson. They say the police department is racist and officers are too quick to shoot.

    "He was just a kid, a young kid, who made some bad choices," Donald Jackson said. "But he really was trying to make good, to turn his life around. But thanks to a dog and Pittsburgh police, he'll never get that chance."

    Jill King Greenwood can be reached at jgreenwood@tribweb.com or 412-321-2160.
    Back to headlines

    Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

    Not a LEO

    In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts